Possible team next year?

Either Alice has some issues we dont know about or i cant for the life of me see why we wouldnt want him. He's the one player in our squad who can really link the midfield and attack. As for forwards, i didnt see but wasnt bembo-lita pushing for a leading role until if got injured? Other thing, tarky looks decent but to expect a full season from him without him having a bad dip in form would be as crazy as, well, expecting the same from Tonk

Bembo looked good earlier on before his injury, linked attack and midfield well, for a guy of his size, he had alot of strength and won balls in the air most people would think he ahd no chance of getting, also helped Tonk out in being that they could both jabber away in French upfront.

Under 24 though so at least that means we get some monies. Will his impressive goal record count towards the expected fee?

Only if we offer him a written contract on equal or higher terms than he is on.

Agree with you in terms of the youth factor of the squad. I’m pretty darn sure our finances will dictate that a number of the squad places will be made up of scholars & lads given a 1 year pro deal.

Whilst there is no way you want a bunch of 17 & 18 year olds to be playing 40 odd games in a season; for padding out the bench and getting the odd game here & there I see no reason why this shouldn’t be happening next season – from a purely financial stand-point; the wages these kids will be one won’t be breaking the bank and we can get a ‘squad depth’ through this means *

I can’t wait for DJ Bembo to get fit; have a hard pre-season work-out & come back fit & firing as; in his fleeting games at the start of the season; he really impressed me – and on those showings; I think we can look to him for one of the striking berths next season. He has the certain something, you can’t necessarily place what it is; but IMO he has “it” – he linked play nicely between midfield & attach, ran the channels intelligently and for his size, he held the ball / shielded & screened the ball really well. His header Vs Scunthorpe was all about getting into a good position in the box to get on the end of Jones’s (IIRC) cross.

Same with Brooke too – a shame; but he needs to just write this season off & start again over the summer. Brooke for me epitomised the change in player attitude & demeanour after PD was appointed. During pre-season; Brooke was playing like a mini-me version of PD – hasselling, working his socks off, snapping into challenges, running all over the place working ever so hard & having a bit of an edge to him that we hadn’t seen before (squaring up to Danny Fox Vs Burnley after he’d clattered into him springs to mind) – plus he was scoring goals to boot. Big, big pre-season for Brooke this one coming up – an almost make or break one; as he’s 1 year left on a pro deal. If he does again what he did last time; then for me – he’ll be pushing for a starting berth next season. If he doesn’t kick on; then he’ll be offski; either on loan or cancelled i feel. I hope he kicks on; as he did look a totally different player during the 2 months of this season’s pre-season.

Of the out of contract lot – i’d be finding the money to offer new deals to Black, Reid & Morais definately – and Evina if the terms were right too. That’s it. Brill, Todd, MacDonald, Trotman et all – we’ll i’d prefer us to take our chances in the free transfer market / loan market to see if can do better. I think M’Voto will attract interest from other clubs if Sunderland let him leave; club’s that will be able to out bid us on the wages front so i can’t see him being here next season – as much as I would like him to be. Tounkara; I’d take him on loan again if the terms of the loan deal were right; and we weren’t paying a high % of his wage – rather him here adding to the striking competition & continuing his development; than signing for another L1 side & his ripping us a new one when we play them TBH! White can go back to Leeds with a thanks.

* Whilst the kids will add to squad depth; squad quality will be an entirely different issue – i’d worry if a spate of injuries / suspensions kick in, and we’re looking at a team with 4 or 5 17 / 18 / 19 year olds in it.

We have the option to extend Morais' and Reid's contract for next season if we wish.. presumely on the same amount they are currently on..

Tonk is out of contract end of this season, so be a free transfer unless Sunderland offer him a new deal..

I think Dickov technically is too, but I expect him to quit the playing side anyway (after a season where's he's only made one sub appearance).

he said in last month's 442 that he probably won't carry on as a player because being a manager is too much work as it is. pretty interesting article about player-managers

I'd keep him, i think he's a cracking young talent and i don't see why no-one seems to like him.. anyway my team..

New Keeper

Lee

Hazell/M'Voto

Tarky

Black

Taylor

Furman

Stephens (If he does come back).. New CM

Millar?

Alessandra

Reid

Personally can't see Morais staying longer than the end of the season, he's far too good for Oldham IMO. Would like to see Stephens come back and he would go straight back into midfield, but i can't see this happening either, so i think a new CM is needed unless Lowe could be signed up permanently.. Ritchie Jones just doesn't have that quality in my opinion to be in my starting 11. Now i've gone for Lewi and Reid upfront but in an ideal world i would have a New Striker up top with Lewi, he has real quality and needs that goalscorer with him, maybe Brooke will prove his high rating from Royle!

i like lewi, and he's shown himself to be a good player. but shez, penney and dickov don't seem to play him when he could do so there must be something that means he's overlooked. i think a lewi-reid strikeforce could be promising if we keep hold of furman and taylor too. i'd have...

KEEPER

Lee

M'voto (wants to stay apparently)

hazell/new defender

Black

Taylor

Furman

Jones/New midfielder

New Midfielder or evina or morais

lewi

reid

i'd say we need a new person in net, defence midfield and attack but we've got a decent squad to work with.

Regarding Morais; at the Tranmere game i was sat near two scouts.

Scout A: "Is there a club Morais hasn't been offered to" *chuckles*

Scout B: "I'd be very suprised if he was still here next season"

Sounds like his agent is looking for something better for him.

Spoke to Morais in person at HT last Saturday and asked him about next season; he said the option on his deal is the clubs, not his – so the ball is in their court. He’d love to stay as he likes it here, likes PD and lads and is enjoying playing for the team BUT its all gone very quiet & he hasn’t heard anything from the club at all so he’s really not sure where his future lies.......

Spoke to Morais in person at HT last Saturday and asked him about next season; he said the option on his deal is the clubs, not his – so the ball is in their court. He’d love to stay as he likes it here, likes PD and lads and is enjoying playing for the team BUT its all gone very quiet & he hasn’t heard anything from the club at all so he’s really not sure where his future lies.......

so if the club want to extend the deal but morais doesnt, or he has a deal from a better club, he stays anyway?

so if the club want to extend the deal but morais doesnt, or he has a deal from a better club, he stays anyway?

No, my undertanding is - the club has an option; and its only an option to offer another year should they wish to.

Morais doesnt have to agree to it & sign it if he doesnt want to / has a better offer.

Think it was put in place to make Morais sign up for the season - as in theory it carries it bit more weight than a short term deal to the end of the season...."with an option for the 2011-2012 season" sounds better.

I got the impression for a very quick chat, that were the club to take up the option; Morais would sign it.

Good ol' Chron. This guy obviously doesn't count then. :petesake:

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2086135,00.html

I'm sure Brooke's got another year too.

that article has dickov saying...

"Dickov views Jones, who has signed a two-year contract, as a box-to-box midfield player with a lot of energy who can play in various positions across midfield and who is able to defend as well as contributing goals at the opposite end of the pitch"

:lol:

that article has dickov saying...

"Dickov views Jones, who has signed a two-year contract, as a box-to-box midfield player with a lot of energy who can play in various positions across midfield and who is able to defend as well as contributing goals at the opposite end of the pitch"

:lol:

Why is it that both his agent and Oldham FC reported that Jones had signed a 2 year contract when he hasn't ?? Sounds like he's been stitched up. http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6249718,00.html.

I have been brill's biggest critic but he is actually not that bad of a keeper. Not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. A new striker and a keeper but defiantly a striker before a keeper

When he screws up he really screws up and cost us quite a few points in the 1st half of the season. Since he came back into the team he hasn't been too bad IMO, but I'm sure there are better out their.

When he screws up he really screws up and cost us quite a few points in the 1st half of the season. Since he came back into the team he hasn't been too bad IMO, but I'm sure there are better out their.

There maybe better out there but can we afford them?

well if other things i have heard are true he has and it would be hard to see how the club wouldn,t know about it

:detectivegm0::detectivegm0::detectivegm0:

what other things eh?

If you’re alluding to the fact that Jones was told it was a 2 year deal by the club, but it was actually only a 1 year – surely it’s his own stupid fault that he didn’t read properly what he was singing?

Not a nice way to do business though; sneaky & underhand to say the very least..................but only a rumour right now unless it can be proved.

:detectivegm0::detectivegm0::detectivegm0:

what other things eh?

If you’re alluding to the fact that Jones was told it was a 2 year deal by the club, but it was actually only a 1 year – surely it’s his own stupid fault that he didn’t read properly what he was singing?

Not a nice way to do business though; sneaky & underhand to say the very least..................but only a rumour right now unless it can be proved.

Proof............................

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6249718,00.html.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2086135,00.html

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/44014/latics-swoop-for-jones

oh and another two.............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/8797258.stm

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/oldham_athletic/s/1291305_oldham_sign_jones

Bad way to do business

Edited by terry tibbs

If jones is too thick to read the T and C of his contract then thats his own fault

maybe a part of the contract was missing? in any case how does this excuse the fact that the club have lied on their own website, local papers and sky by telling the fans that he had signed a two year deal - surely they knew the details.

Who's the thick one ?

maybe a part of the contract was missing? in any case how does this excuse the fact that the club have lied on their own website, local papers and sky by telling the fans that he had signed a two year deal - surely they knew the details.

Who's the thick one ?

A misreporting of the facts is a mistake yes, but its no comparison to not properly reading the t anc c of a contract that is apparently going to affect your livelyhood over the next two years. That is assuming you belive the club 'lied' to him regarding the length of the contract, which I don't for a minute, as it will have been read with a fine toothcomb by his agent, if not himself.

The same thing happened with Kiegan Parkers contract, was initially reported it was a 2 year deal when it was only a 1