How much now?

I rated Olney too.

It's a shame he didn't stay fit. Even after we had gone down he would have delivered more cutting edge in the championship than we got from McCarthy/Banger/Barlow.

He's not the only one that I wish had stayed fit over the years. Although admittedly he arrived with a huge injury history, anyone remember Matthew Rush?

I liked Paul Moulden – thought he wasn’t half as bad as others seemed to make out.......

when he played he did alright for me

He was a crock and pretty :censored: when he played here, I still have nightmares over that last minute miss at Vale Park, scored a few for City in their promotion season, quickly offloaded to Bournemouth scored a few for them but never got a run of games due to persisitent injuries. Royle brought him back into the fold briefly in 92/93 , two or three games later he'd signed the bear.

As for Olney, I think many are being very, very harsh. You only have to look at the quality of some of his goals to see he was no mug and probably the hottest young striking property in that first Premier League pre-season talked about in the same breath as Shearer, Yorke and Robins...

I rated Olney too.

It's a shame he didn't stay fit. Even after we had gone down he would have delivered more cutting edge in the championship than we got from McCarthy/Banger/Barlow.

He's not the only one that I wish had stayed fit over the years. Although admittedly he arrived with a huge injury history, anyone remember Matthew Rush?

McCarthy scored 18 League goals and Stitch 13 in 94/95, Banger managed a pisspoor 3. If only Beckford and Olney who both missed the entire season had been fit, it may have been enough to get us back up….the amount of late winners we conceded that year away from home was diabolical. (Port Vale (2), Southend, Derby, MIddlesbrough, Reading, Wolves, Luton etc..

As for Rush I never saw his best game (his debut) as I worked Saturdays for most of 96/97 what I did see was his cowardly show up at York in January 1998. He could have played on apparently but took the easy option to retire in late 1998 instead of knuckling down (albeit on a long hard road) and getting fit, he decided it simply wasn't worth it and took the pay out...

Which does make you winder why he played him out of position for his whole time at Evrton as Atkinson did at Villa. Vastly better centre half than right back

He played most of his early football here at left-back and was awful. I remember the owd fella saying, that with Earl's pace he should be in the middle. The sale of Peter Skipper and injury to Andy Holden forced Joe's hand and Earl never looked back at BP…Warhurst was never a full-back either and it beggars the question why Royle never saw his attacking potential like he did in The Beastman….

Agreed, I rated Olney. David Currie on the other hand......

If you've got it watch the Championship video, the lad (Currie) had all the skill in the world and could beat players for fun but he was a lazy turd….

Edited by oafcprozac

Billy Kenny had the potential to be a very good player, Billy decided to waste it on drugs though. Don't think Royle can be blamed for having a punt on him.

Nicky Banger was also only a loan signing by Royle? It was Sharp who saw enough potential in him to sign him permanently?

Billy Kenny had the potential to be a very good player, Billy decided to waste it on drugs though. Don't think Royle can be blamed for having a punt on him.

Nicky Banger was also only a loan signing by Royle? It was Sharp who saw enough potential in him to sign him permanently?

BIlly Kenny was a free transfer, Royle made Banger's move permanent before he left for Everton. Banger arrived at the beginning of October, Royle had made the move permanent by the end of the month…JR's two parting gifts - Sharp as manager and Nicky Banger…. :shock:

He was a crock and pretty :censored: when he played here, I still have nightmares over that last minute miss at Vale Park, scored a few for City in their promotion season, quickly offloaded to Bournemouth scored a few for them but never got a run of games due to persisitent injuries. Royle brought him back into the fold briefly in 92/93 , two or three games later he'd signed the bear.

As for Olney, I think many are being very, very harsh. You only have to look at the quality of some of his goals to see he was no mug and probably the hottest young striking property in that first Premier League pre-season talked about in the same breath as Shearer, Yorke and Robins...

Ravages of time might be catching up with me but I remember Moulden looking pretty useful in the flesh............and i watched the Promotion Season / Arsenal Cup game & Great Escape DVD a while back and was pleasantly surprised at a few of the goals he scored watching them back.

That DVD did however show just how pants David Currie was! Crap Moustache too!!!

Ravages of time might be catching up with me but I remember Moulden looking pretty useful in the flesh............and i watched the Promotion Season / Arsenal Cup game & Great Escape DVD a while back and was pleasantly surprised at a few of the goals he scored watching them back.

That DVD did however show just how pants David Currie was! Crap Moustache too!!!

Moulden Scored 5 goals in his time here (between 1990-1993) Currie a mere 4 - both were abject failures. Moulden's goals came 4 during the promotion season and a late consolation when City dicked us on the final day. (John Keeley's (un) masterclass…)

Edited by oafcprozac

I have just been reading " Oldham athletic - miscellany " and under the section of Joe royle it caught my eye at how cheap he got some great players!

I was too young to actually remember them but reading that just shows how good e was at wheeling and dealing.

Some of the players he got I wonder how much they would be worth nowadays if fernando Torres is worth £50 million?!?!

He really cashed in on Billy Bremners pathetic management at Leeds, and City's so called rejects