How much now?

I have just been reading " Oldham athletic - miscellany " and under the section of Joe royle it caught my eye at how cheap he got some great players!

I was too young to actually remember them but reading that just shows how good e was at wheeling and dealing.

Some of the players he got I wonder how much they would be worth nowadays if fernando Torres is worth £50 million?!?!

I have just been reading " Oldham athletic - miscellany " and under the section of Joe royle it caught my eye at how cheap he got some great players!

I was too young to actually remember them but reading that just shows how good e was at wheeling and dealing.

Some of the players he got I wonder how much they would be worth nowadays if fernando Torres is worth £50 million?!?!

Two words. Ian Olney.

i've been bought that book for the past three christmas' now and still haven't read it, so if anyone wants one...

Denis Irwin Free

Mike Milligan Free (from City schoolboys)

Paul Warhurst £10k

Earl Barrett £35k

Stitch £55k

Ian Marshall £100k

Andy Goram Free (from WBA schoolboys - although I think that might have been Frizz)

Mark Ward peanuts

The above were sold for fees totalling over £6,250,000!!!! They cost us barely the 1/4 million if you exclude the £600k we paid to bring Spike back from Everton...

Edited by oafcprozac

Yeah it is a cracking book.

Back on topic, he probably did make some dudd signings but he bought players very cheap and ended up selling them off for alot more.

I contributed slightly to that and I'm listed in the acknowledgements… still had to buy a copy….. :grin:

Two words. Ian Olney.

Never understood the problem with Olney. Scored 12 goals in a Premiership season, didn't he? I know you can't compare values, but that's the equivalent of Nolan, Hernandez, Van Persie, Odemwingie, Drogba, etc, this season, and he wasn't exactly playing for a top club.

Ah, found a bit more. He scored as many goals that year as Dalian Atkinson, David Hirst, and Kevin Gallacher, and more than Peter Beardsley, Nigel Clough and Brian McClair, despite playing for a club finishing 19th in the table. (Or to put it another way: he got 11, while Matt Le Tissier, Mark Hughes and Ian Wright only managed 15.)

Ah, found a bit more. He scored as many goals that year as Dalian Atkinson, David Hirst, and Kevin Gallacher, and more than Peter Beardsley, Nigel Clough and Brian McClair, despite playing for a club finishing 19th in the table. (Or to put it another way: he got 11, while Matt Le Tissier, Mark Hughes and Ian Wright only managed 15.)

When you put it like that he doesn't seem that bad

The same summer Olney went to Latics for £700,000 Alan Shearer signed for Blackburn for a then British record of £3.3 million, so just under 5 times more expensive on that basis, and based on Fernado Torres going for £50 million that £700k would be about £10,000,000 today. But the main reason I think he's seen this way is probably because of what happened after as he got injured and never recovered. Perhaps had he stayed fit we would talk about him very differently today, who knows he may have even kept us up in 93-94 we only needed what 2 more wins to have stayed up

Edited by GlossopLatic

Never understood the problem with Olney. Scored 12 goals in a Premiership season, didn't he? I know you can't compare values, but that's the equivalent of Nolan, Hernandez, Van Persie, Odemwingie, Drogba, etc, this season, and he wasn't exactly playing for a top club.

Agreed, I rated Olney. David Currie on the other hand......

At the rifle range evening, chaddy the owl asked him about his best and worst buys and most of the above were mentioned.

Then another question was answered with regards to players value these days in comparison to yester year and Joe said he has been watching a young defender in a league above us who was rated at 3 million ( I can't remember the players name). Joe went on to say that Earl Barrett now would be worth 30 million

Oh if only...

He also mentioned that City called Paul warhurst "earl's revenge" .

At the rifle range evening, chaddy the owl asked him about his best and worst buys and most of the above were mentioned.

Then another question was answered with regards to players value these days in comparison to yester year and Joe said he has been watching a young defender in a league above us who was rated at 3 million ( I can't remember the players name). Joe went on to say that Earl Barrett now would be worth 30 million

Oh if only...

He also mentioned that City called Paul warhurst "earl's revenge" .

Which does make you winder why he played him out of position for his whole time at Evrton as Atkinson did at Villa. Vastly better centre half than right back