Oldham pub reopening

As some of you already know, a fellow Latics fan and I have taken on The Junction Inn at the bottom of Ripponden Road (Hillstores - OL1 4EW). It is a pub that has not been without its issues and has been closed for several weeks, having only reopened in November following a lengthy period of being closed.

We got the keys on the 18th April and have given the place something of a makeover. Nothing drastic but hopefully those that know the place will notice the difference. We will start with a fairly basic offering in terms of beer and entertainment but the following are coming over the next few weeks:

Live sport - Sky TV in place w.e.f. May 11th

Real ale - in place by the weekend of May 14th

Live music - there is some work to be done in order to separate the main lounge, to make a gig room. We do not wish to put on the usual acts (somebody singing to a backing tape) and will instead be putting on ticketed gigs, featuring name artists. I am delighted to announce that the first of these will be John Bramwell, lead singer with I Am Kloot, on Wednesday July 20th. Tickets will be on sale at the bar a week before they go on sale online and I will post on here at that time.

We will be hosting comedy nights, entering teams into all of the local leagues (football, pool, darts, crib, dominoes etc) alongside a host of other initiatives aimed at turning this pub around.

With a fair wind, we will be open at 8pm this evening and then daily from noon thereafter. I look forward to seeing some familiar faces over the forthcoming weeks.

Finally, look out for a big announcement tomorrow regarding a Latics related event that is taking place next week...

As some of you already know, a fellow Latics fan and I have taken on The Junction Inn at the bottom of Ripponden Road (Hillstores - OL1 4EW). It is a pub that has not been without its issues and has been closed for several weeks, having only reopened in November following a lengthy period of being closed.

We got the keys on the 18th April and have given the place something of a makeover. Nothing drastic but hopefully those that know the place will notice the difference. We will start with a fairly basic offering in terms of beer and entertainment but the following are coming over the next few weeks:

Live sport - Sky TV in place w.e.f. May 11th

Real ale - in place by the weekend of May 14th

Live music - there is some work to be done in order to separate the main lounge, to make a gig room. We do not wish to put on the usual acts (somebody singing to a backing tape) and will instead be putting on ticketed gigs, featuring name artists. I am delighted to announce that the first of these will be John Bramwell, lead singer with I Am Kloot, on Wednesday July 20th. Tickets will be on sale at the bar a week before they go on sale online and I will post on here at that time.

We will be hosting comedy nights, entering teams into all of the local leagues (football, pool, darts, crib, dominoes etc) alongside a host of other initiatives aimed at turning this pub around.

With a fair wind, we will be open at 8pm this evening and then daily from noon thereafter. I look forward to seeing some familiar faces over the forthcoming weeks.

Finally, look out for a big announcement tomorrow regarding a Latics related event that is taking place next week...

All the best Mike - I hope you make a go of it.

As some of you already know, a fellow Latics fan and I have taken on The Junction Inn at the bottom of Ripponden Road (Hillstores - OL1 4EW).

Mike, a bit about the history of your pub.

The old beerhouse can be traced back to 1860, when 56-year-old William Schofield, a Saddleworth man, was running it with his wife Sarah. In 1886 it was owned by Samuel Mills of 8 Eldon Street (off King Street). In 1894 there were two drinking rooms, three bedrooms, two horse stalls in an open yard and spare accommodation for travellers. The bar was in the lobby, with a taproom on the left and a parlour on the right. The stable and gents' urinal were attached to the taproom wall. The tenant and his family lived in a row of four cottages at the rear, which were demolished in 1895 and the present building was built across the site of the cottages and the old beerhouse. With the new building, the yard contained a three-stall stable and up-to-date conveniences such as a manure pit, an ashpit and a wash-house. In later years the manure pit became a public urinal. Wilson's Brewery bought the pub in 1897 and made alterations in 1968.

By 1975 it became part of the Chef & Brewer chain and then other companies such as Lanchester Taverns, all subsidiaries of grand Metropolitan, who took over former Wilson's houses.

All the best for your venture. :drinking66:

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

its needed sky for a long time that pub

didnt need much work doing on it though did it?

leave the jukebox and theres nothing wrong with the pool table thats already in :grin:

ill call down for a pint next week

good luck

I called by last night. Looks and sounds like they have a fair few ideas on how to run a traditional pub in a working class area with some new things that might help make it work. Loving the idea of ordering your bar snack for half time when you take your seat to watch some sport, could it catch on? ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone.

As soon as tickets for the gigs go onsale, you will hear about it here...second :wink: Gotta tell the regulars first.

There will be a Facebook page soon and I will post the links on here too.

We will be running a minibus to BP as the lunchtime Premier League game ends and if Alan is happy for us to sell tickets, we will.

Andy, it was great to see you on Saturday night, man.