It's a thin line ...

In the end, the final league table will show Latics finishing in the kind of league position most of us expected.

In some ways, Dickov deserves credit for that. Hopefully the abject failure to score goals towards the end of the season will have taught him a lot. Time will tell.

But 15 extra points and Latics would have scraped in to the play-offs. Those could easily have been picked up in the run of 1 win from 17 games. But even before that, we did fail to take points when we should have done.

Games I believe we were good value for more than we ended up with include:

Bristol Rovers (h) 1-1

Colchester (h) 0-0

Exeter (h) 3-3

Rochdale (h) 1-2

Carlisle (a) 2-2

Dagenham (h) 1-1

Carlisle (h) 0-1

Sheff Wed (h) 2-3

Brighton (h) 0-1

Probably should have got 18 extra points from those games, based on the balance of play.

There were others like Bristol Rovers away where we were truly awful but didn't actually deserve to lose because they were equally awful.

The big IF is Dickov's ability to learn from the season. Did he tinker too much in the transfer window (it all made sense at the time)? What else should he have done to reverse the trend that developed after Corney's rant and failure to pay the players? How will he create a side that has more shots in a game (even today's win only saw 3 shots from Latics)?

9 points clear of the drop. I suppose you could say if we hadn't had the occasional stroke of luck we could have been relegated this season. But I can't think of us getting much luck this season. Buckling under pressure from good positions has been the biggest weakness.

I've bought my season ticket for 2011/12. Probably the last one at Boundary Park. I've seen enough to think we should be positive about the future under Dickov, while being more than aware of his frailties.

If he can make those little changes from what he's learned, an extra 15 points (or more) is not beyond Oldham Athletic.

In the end, the final league table will show Latics finishing in the kind of league position most of us expected.

In some ways, Dickov deserves credit for that. Hopefully the abject failure to score goals towards the end of the season will have taught him a lot. Time will tell.

But 15 extra points and Latics would have scraped in to the play-offs. Those could easily have been picked up in the run of 1 win from 17 games. But even before that, we did fail to take points when we should have done.

Games I believe we were good value for more than we ended up with include:

Bristol Rovers (h) 1-1

Colchester (h) 0-0

Exeter (h) 3-3

Rochdale (h) 1-2

Carlisle (a) 2-2

Dagenham (h) 1-1

Carlisle (h) 0-1

Sheff Wed (h) 2-3

Brighton (h) 0-1

Probably should have got 18 extra points from those games, based on the balance of play.

There were others like Bristol Rovers away where we were truly awful but didn't actually deserve to lose because they were equally awful.

The big IF is Dickov's ability to learn from the season. Did he tinker too much in the transfer window (it all made sense at the time)? What else should he have done to reverse the trend that developed after Corney's rant and failure to pay the players? How will he create a side that has more shots in a game (even today's win only saw 3 shots from Latics)?

9 points clear of the drop. I suppose you could say if we hadn't had the occasional stroke of luck we could have been relegated this season. But I can't think of us getting much luck this season. Buckling under pressure from good positions has been the biggest weakness.

I've bought my season ticket for 2011/12. Probably the last one at Boundary Park. I've seen enough to think we should be positive about the future under Dickov, while being more than aware of his frailties.

If he can make those little changes from what he's learned, an extra 15 points (or more) is not beyond Oldham Athletic.

Good post

It certainly helps to start the season from a postive end of this season.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that as we are safe, today would be about bedding some players that are going to be the core of next season.

6 kids who have seemingly setteled into the side is very promising.

Add a some bite, guile and hard nose wily old pro players to defence, midefield and the striker and we have something to build on

Coupled with the fact the youngster will be older an wiser for this year.

We have shown what can be achieved, and the style of play that can be succesful.

It's getting the mentally weak bottlers out that is the key

PD has showna lot of players the door so that is no problem.

The big ask is offloading Warren Feeney, nothing perosonal, it's just not worked out. Some skill to do that!

THe key is PD learning who to get on loa. On paper we were happy with every one, it sometimes did not work out.

TO be hoenst, I am kind glad of the poor run in one way, had we been really successful, we might not be seeing PD next season.

CAn we be 15 points better than this season, I am eternally optimistic, lets see what cards we are dealt.

Edited by singe

This season will have been a good learning curve for Dickov and you will hope it will stand him in good stead and for the squad too many will have learned from this season and will be better players for it.

It has been a thin line for us. I think we all recognise the need for abit of extra leadership Dickov needs someone to be his voice out on the pitch. It will also help us close out games weve conceded alot of points through late goals and not hanging onto leads. We also need to be more ruthless infront of goal, we were hoping Rueben Reid was going to be that man it hasn't happened. Ryan Brooke seemed to have a good pre season but injury seemed to put pay to his season as too for Bembo. Tounkara looked a real prospect perticularly in the 1st half at home to huddersfield where their defence just couldn't live with his pace and power but he faded really badly in the second half of the season, and the less said about Warren Feeney's contribution the better.

I think we all recognise where we are going wrong finding the solution is not going to be easy with money tight.

it would of been nice if Adolf Hitler put all his money into a Vegetarian Restaraunt instead of forming the third Reich

but I like your point, it just goes to show how having someone who could put the ball in the back of the net would of made a big difference this season

TO be hoenst, I am kind glad of the poor run in one way, had we been really successful, we might not be seeing PD next season.

CAn we be 15 points better than this season, I am eternally optimistic, lets see what cards we are dealt.

i was thinking the same about the poor run and hopefully dickov can sort out the problems for next season. didnt he say himself that the time that he'd start learning was when a bad run came along?

i'll take a top half season with more consistency next season and i reckon with a manager like PD, we might be able to get that

i was thinking the same about the poor run and hopefully dickov can sort out the problems for next season. didnt he say himself that the time that he'd start learning was when a bad run came along?

i'll take a top half season with more consistency next season and i reckon with a manager like PD, we might be able to get that

the poor run coincided with the enforced lay off during winter around christmas,we had built up a head of steam and was firing,evenif we went 1 down we could get it back from that..add in injuries to key players and having to make do and mend with the likes of todd and trotman and thats what did us firstly...

defence is a big problem,we all know what trotman and hazell can do..but for me these are 2 players who dont listen,and play far too many lazy half hearted balls that puts us in trouble..take rochdale at home,hazells got the ball all he has to do is turn and whack it upfield or out of play..instead thinks he can dribble it past the player,loses out and bang...

left backs a problem...evina or black or an other....not a settled position..

midfield taylor n furman are shoe ins,the rest is up for grabs and up front its just a free for all,anybody could play there and be 100% more effective than current strikers...

the poor run coincided with the enforced lay off during winter around christmas,we had built up a head of steam and was firing,evenif we went 1 down we could get it back from that..add in injuries to key players and having to make do and mend with the likes of todd and trotman and thats what did us firstly...

defence is a big problem,we all know what trotman and hazell can do..but for me these are 2 players who dont listen,and play far too many lazy half hearted balls that puts us in trouble..take rochdale at home,hazells got the ball all he has to do is turn and whack it upfield or out of play..instead thinks he can dribble it past the player,loses out and bang...

left backs a problem...evina or black or an other....not a settled position..

midfield taylor n furman are shoe ins,the rest is up for grabs and up front its just a free for all,anybody could play there and be 100% more effective than current strikers...

Left side always is a problem for us!

Midfield - taylor and furman and morais are defo's just the other CM slot thats up for grabs.. unless dickov plays 4-4-1-1 with taylor or morais behind striker.. in which case evina would fill in at left mid..

Interestingly, if we beat the Mongs on Saturday....they will have lost more league games than us this season, yet still comfortably make the play offs.

Edited by otid

too many points dropped from being in a winning position was our main problem. Then the rot stated and we couldnt score for toffey.

maybe next season who knows eh.

Exeter was our biggest f**k up but the biggest turning point was the Carlisle away and home game. That is where i saw the belief officially drain out of us..........still in Dickov we trust