Latics to Lose a Bit More Money?

So nout to do with us

It does affect Latics.

The article says:

"The publisher’s liquidation documents show Arsenal as among Cre8 Publishing’s biggest unsecured creditors. Other football clubs owed monies are Celtic with £400,000, Rangers at close to £500,000, West Ham United with £103,000 and Tottenham at £42,000.

Aberdeen and Oldham Athletic football clubs are owed smaller amounts, while The Welsh Rugby Union has £120,000 outstanding."

It may be me being niaive but I don't understand why we should be a creditor of a printing company. If anything I would have thought they, as suppliers, would have been creditors to us i.e. we order the goods, receive the goods, get invoiced for the goods and then pay.

No wonder football clubs seem to be in poor financial state if they are paying up front for this service. Plus, didn't the board look into the background of this company before entering into their trading arrangement - according to the article, this company emerged from the remnants of a previously failed company so there should have been some warning signs from the outset.

It may be me being niaive but I don't understand why we should be a creditor of a printing company. If anything I would have thought they, as suppliers, would have been creditors to us i.e. we order the goods, receive the goods, get invoiced for the goods and then pay.

No wonder football clubs seem to be in poor financial state if they are paying up front for this service. Plus, didn't the board look into the background of this company before entering into their trading arrangement - according to the article, this company emerged from the remnants of a previously failed company so there should have been some warning signs from the outset.

The club must pay upfront for the programmes they order and then keep all of the money recouped from selling them.

An idea for the club on the next company they use. Could they produce an electronic version of the programme to be downloaded from the site? Could charge a fee for this but less than the price if sold at the ground. Costs of producing the electronic version would be lower than a physical programme so could still make the same return on them and would be something stayaway or exiled fans could purchase and get on the day of the game.

The article talks about royalties due to the clubs from the publisher. I presume they're something to do with advertising in the programme. Perhaps the publisher gets the advertisers to appear in the programme, and Latics get royalties in the form of a percentage of the advertising income.

The club must pay upfront for the programmes they order and then keep all of the money recouped from selling them.

I would have hoped the 'pay-up-front' agreement was limited to a month at a time rather than an advance payment for the season (which the figures quoted would suggest). In any case, I find it disappointing that the club couldn't find a local supplier willing to trade on mutually beneficial terms.

I would have hoped the 'pay-up-front' agreement was limited to a month at a time rather than an advance payment for the season (which the figures quoted would suggest). In any case, I find it disappointing that the club couldn't find a local supplier willing to trade on mutually beneficial terms.

Perhaps the terms with the current suppliers was too good? Supplying many clubs, keeping costs low, printing to a deadline close to the date of a game?

An idea for the club on the next company they use. Could they produce an electronic version of the programme to be downloaded from the site? Could charge a fee for this but less than the price if sold at the ground. Costs of producing the electronic version would be lower than a physical programme so could still make the same return on them and would be something stayaway or exiled fans could purchase and get on the day of the game.

Great idea, could develop something compatible with the ibook store or an app? If they'd be willing to produce it in house again, I'd be more than willing to write articles for it FOC

I know around early mid-last decade we produced the programme in house, perhaps we'll go back to something similar. It does piss me off that the club contracts so much of its business (not so much the programme) out, when it should really be trying to maximising it's revenue not ensuring it plateaus….

I came up with the same idea about a online pay-per-download pdf about 5 years ago. Hardy said it wouldn't be "much good".

You can make whatever you want out of that answer.

I came up with the same idea about a online pay-per-download pdf about 5 years ago. Hardy said it wouldn't be "much good".

You can make whatever you want out of that answer.

Time to drag the club into the 21st Century!

I look at my collection of programmes going back to 1946. Latics, home and away, other clubs. British, overseas.

I look at the picture they paint of economic good times and bad, of paper rationing, of local businesses gone , of local businesses that started up. I look at the pen pictures of players, the brief but illuminating few lines that were an ever present. I look at the designs, dated by today's perspective, but redolent of their time.

i look at the editorials, of the hopes and excuses of Chairmen and Managers.

I look at many of them and can conjure up the away trip, or home match. The excitement, despair, exultation or misery.

I hold them, feel them, and know that no "download" , no electronic version can replace the programme.

I look at my collection of programmes going back to 1946. Latics, home and away, other clubs. British, overseas.

I look at the picture they paint of economic good times and bad, of paper rationing, of local businesses gone , of local businesses that started up. I look at the pen pictures of players, the brief but illuminating few lines that were an ever present. I look at the designs, dated by today's perspective, but redolent of their time.

I look at many of them and can conjure up the away trip, or home match. The excitement, despair, exultation or misery.

I hold them, feel them, and know that no "download" , no electronic version can replace the programme.

Apart from the bit in the middle where unless your eyeballs are plucked out with the download - it's exactly the same, I do understand the collectible aspect of a tangible product. I'd say it's not to replace but to give an option. It had, and still does have, potential.

Apart from the bit in the middle where unless your eyeballs are plucked out with the download - it's exactly the same, I do understand the collectible aspect of a tangible product. I'd say it's not to replace but to give an option. It had, and still does have, potential.

It's not exactly the same that the whole point!!

Could you point out where rummy said he thinks programmes should be 'replaced' with downloadable ones?

Could easilly be included as part of a laticsworld subscription, and would be ideal for distant supporters such as Bob.

Telegraph - Printer's Collapse

Sounds like a few thousand we have lost but it's another few thousand we cannot afford to lose. Also will we have a programme to sell for the last game of the season?

Agreed and i have just bought my season ticket on the back of us stayin at boundary park this season i know we may have to move but lets keepit local yes.

:ranting:

Could you point out where rummy said he thinks programmes should be 'replaced' with downloadable ones?

no. Because I never said he did!

Could easilly be included as part of a laticsworld subscription, and would be ideal for distant supporters such as Bob.

We're already being sold very short with our Latics Player subscriptions. Other clubs offer classic matches, other clubs offer pre-2009 highlights (that disappeared when it changed), other clubs offer ressies and yoofs highlights, other clubs offer extended highlights. I know there's a 'make do and mend' approach at Latics but our Latics Player is not value for money imo, when it could be so much more…

I love the idea of a programme available in an electronic format, ideal for the exiles, especially those overseas. Instead of waiting for the mail - sometimes a few weeks after the game, they could download it on the day and it would be a fabulous tangible accompaniment to the LP commentary.