Liberals take a kicking

Labour are now in complete control of the council (again!), hopefully we can now move forward with the new stadium. However, there will be a lot of bitter Liberals out there this morning…even the seats they have won, they have literally scraped home….

Hopefully the town has finally given one party a mandate to move Oldham forward….

Results

Labour are now in complete control of the council (again!), hopefully we can now move forward with the new stadium. However, there will be a lot of bitter Liberals out there this morning…even the seats they have won, they have literally scraped home….

Hopefully the town has finally given one party a mandate to move Oldham forward….

Results

Local Election Results on the OMBC website only go back to 2000, but from those records it is clear to see that Labour won the biggest majority of any party in that time. Of course there's the risk of it swinging back the other way in two years time (Again) but if Labour play their cards right and try and deliver like they did in the late 80s and early 90s the town may have half a chance to move forward.

I hope McMahon is onboard regarding potential new stadium sites….

It was expected to be a bad night, it was a bad night, but it could have been worse for the Lib Dems in Oldham when you look at results in other northern towns and cities.

Labour have categorically failed to take the initiative and use a clear majority to take the town forward in the past, I don't see that changing now, especially with a mere child as local leader and the state their national party is in.

The backlash against the Lib Dems was entirely expected, but Labour's results - apart from in their northern England heartlands - have been far worse than expected, with no inroads made in Tory areas and catastrophic defeat in Scotland.

I believe that the Labour group in Oldham are committed to delivering a stadium for the town. Hopefully they've learnt from sports park and how not to go ahead with the plan. Whilst I've not seen the results so far from yesterday's elections I think the only relevent result to this thread is the one in Oldham. However thanks to Garcon I needn't look as the summary is all there.

Local Election Results on the OMBC website only go back to 2000, but from those records it is clear to see that Labour won the biggest majority of any party in that time. Of course there's the risk of it swinging back the other way in two years time (Again) but if Labour play their cards right and try and deliver like they did in the late 80s and early 90s the town may have half a chance to move forward.

From today's MEN

Coun McMahon added he would try and make the council more ‘approachable’.

He explained: “I think the coalition administration was seen as arrogant and out-of-touch and we hope to bring some humility.”

He also offered a glimmer of hope to the town’s football club OldhamAthletic, whohave been searching for a new ground since plans for a 12,000 stadium in Failsworth were thrown out.

He said: “There are no blank cheques but we realise it is vital to keep professional football in this town. It is up to them to come to us with a proposal.”

Make of that what you will, but sounds to me that Cllr McMahon is calling a bluff from the club re moving out of Oldham

He said: “There are no blank cheques but we realise it is vital to keep professional football in this town. It is up to them to come to us with a proposal.”

Sounds like two boxers sat in their respective corners refusing to come out for the next round.

Looks like a bad start to me.

Does he mean the council has made various new options open to Latics and had no response?

Sounds like two boxers sat in their respective corners refusing to come out for the next round.

Looks like a bad start to me.

Does he mean the council has made various new options open to Latics and had no response?

Possibly, but to me that reads that the ball is now firmly in Latics court, and that they either come to the council with a proposal, or get on with moving out of the town.

Possibly, but to me that reads that the ball is now firmly in Latics court, and that they either come to the council with a proposal, or get on with moving out of the town.

Another 2 years of stagnation until the next elections ?

A new stadium is clearly an item that is now in Jim McMahon's in-tray, but how close it is to the top is a different matter. It's our job, as well as the club's, to continue the pressure on the council to help deliver what we all want.

I think there are council elections in 2012, but not in 2013. Jim McMahon has already had talks, as Leader of the Opposition, with Latics officials about one or two alternatives for the club. We'll see if either of them come to fruition.

It was expected to be a bad night, it was a bad night, but it could have been worse for the Lib Dems in Oldham when you look at results in other northern towns and cities.

It was a very bad night for the Lib Dems, who lost 6 out of the 9 seats they were defending. They held on to one of their Saddleworth seats by only 17 votes. I think Labour has the highest number of seats, 34, that it has had this century!

I believe that the Labour group in Oldham are committed to delivering a stadium for the town. Hopefully they've learnt from sports park and how not to go ahead with the plan. Whilst I've not seen the results so far from yesterday's elections I think the only relevent result to this thread is the one in Oldham.

Hopefully you are right about the Labour Group. Jim McMahon has already had talks, as Leader of the Opposition, with Latics officials about one or two alternatives for the club. We'll see if either of them come to fruition.

McMahon was against the F/W stadium plans.

McMahon tried to look both ways on the Failsworth plans, but I think it's safe to say that this plan is now 100% dead in the water.

:comeon:

If we did get a ground, would it be a Shrewsbury/Col U/Chesterfield Identikit ground or something with some character? Either way I'm happy, sorry to sound like a whiney git. Would we use the Failsworth plans?

The Failsworth plans were basically "identikit" plus a mill look for the front door.

I see no reason why they couldn't use the same ... but I'm no town planner / stadium designer / architect.

I just think they need to have at least one corner built!

As for the local elections ... I always predicted that the Tories would "create a row" and call a general election early on in the coalition, as they would probably get elected with a reasonable majority. While the latter statement probably still holds true, it's clear that keeping Clegg and co on board to take the flak is an inspired approach.

While you would expect Labour to make the gains they've made, the fact the Tories have improved their position in England is extraordinary. The LibDem collapse moreso.

Once you've been the party of protest it's very hard to turn in to the establishment and still remain popular. Orwell would be loving it.

Edited by opinions4u

Once you've been the party of protest it's very hard to turn in to the establishment and still remain popular. Orwell would be loving it.

That's a very interesting point.

The Lib Dem leadership needs to understand something else quite profound about their support. Many of those people who voted Lib Dem last year and voted elsewhere this week - whether that be Tory, Labour, SNP or whatever - have shown that they either don't understand or don't care for coalition politics, and however they voted in the AV referendum cannot be relied on to support the Lib Dems holding the balance of power in future coalition governments.

This is not the end of three party politics in this country - as Paddy Ashdown said yesterday, thirty years of progress does not get reversed in one night. But it's going to be a long road back for the Lib Dems to reach the heights of last year in national politics. Their recovery in local government will be quicker, as Labour councils across the north prove themselves to be as wasteful and incompetent as ever.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks for the coalition - with upset Lib Dems and bolstered right wing Tories pushing their parties apart. As long as the leadership is in it for the long haul, they can afford to allow a few noises off. And perhaps be seen to give a few more concessions to the Lib Dems while managing the more fractious Tory element.