11th May 1991 Oldham 3 Sheff Weds 2

never in a million years was that a penalty :)

I think the referee couldn't believe how lucky he was to be presented with the opportunity so soon after turning down appeals for a cast-iron handball.

This is one of my abiding memories of the game. I was stood in roughly the same place at Harry Bosch by the sound of it.

The ball was flicked up and hit Anderson (I think) on the hand and the whole of the Chaddy End and Paddock went up. I think my words were something like "HANDBALL!! REF! PENALTY!!! That's handball! F***ing Hell referee that's a f***ing penalty, are you f***ing blind?!"

I think I then glanced across to my uncle who I was stood with saying "HOW THE F**K has he not given that?! Is he f***ing blind or someth.....PEEENNNNNAAAAALLLTTTTYYY!!!" and then I nearly drowned in that mad swell of people as everybody rushed forward like we'd already scored the winner.

Due to a combination of being surrounded by 'bigger boys' and being so packed in, I struggled to actually see the goal as Redders stepped up, so as he struck the ball I watched the reaction of the players. I'll never forget the noise as it went in, and Marshy jumping up and punching the air!

I also remeber some knuckle dragger Wednesday fan swinging a punch at my uncle outside the old shop on the corner of sheepfoot lane as he came bounding down the road to meet me afterwards as we got split up in the melee!

Happy days!

It was a blinding day mate- just watching the video again sends shivers down my spine! I'm just so very thankful that I was there to watch it in person and to have seen latics in the premiership. Who knows! We could have still been there if it wasn't for hughes's volley. I know I know fanciful thinking: but he hadn't had scored that volley and we had won the cup, and into europe, our path could have been oh so different!

I was in the Chaddy End, halfway back just left of goal. There were more than a few around me who literally couldn't watch the penalty. When the ball hit the back of the net it was almost as if time stopped. I was still stood exactly where I was, looking at the back of that net, savouring the moment on perpetual replay in my mind, when the rest of the stand had emptied onto the pitch. I just stood there, very quietly letting it sink in. Arguably the win to secure promotion at Ipswich was more important, when I was at the heart of the cheering throng carrying Ian Marshall shoulder high off the pitch, but that final kick of the season against Wednesday was different - it seemed like the past two seasons had been building to that seminal, euphoric moment.

Lookers paddock. Initially on my Dads shoulders. Eventually on the boards at the front (I think). Absolutely magical. I still wish I was a little bit older though.

I've always had a strange recollection that Neil Redfearn had to take his penalty twice either because of encroachment of the pitch invasion. I've never seen a tape to confirm this. I think I might have made it up to add to the tension.

You're not far wrong.As he set himself to take it the ref stopped him and went and booked Danny Wilson. I was at a do a couple of days later and had a word with Redfearn asking him what had caused it. He said that as he had walked past Wilson he had said 'miss it you c**t!

Edited by astottie

You're not far wrong.As he set himself to take it the ref stopped him and went and booked Danny Wilson. I was at a do a couple of days later and had a word with Redfearn asking him what had caused it. He said that as he had walked past Wilson he had said 'miss it you c**t!

Easily confused at a delirious 6 years old!!

Now I know that, I'm glad Danny Wilson got fired and Swindon got relegated the dirty y*rkshire tw*t...*

*I actually don't think this - he seems a nice enough chap

Easily confused at a delirious 6 years old!!

Now I know that, I'm glad Danny Wilson got fired and Swindon got relegated the dirty y*rkshire tw*t...*

*I actually don't think this - he seems a nice enough chap

Redfearn later played under him at Barnsley, didn't he?

Like many others I was proud (and lucky enougth) to be able to say that I was there.

One of the memorable features was being able to listen to Stuart Pykes commentary, afterwards of the events as they unfolded.

I seem to recollect that during that period Piccadilly Radio seem to cover the Latics positively in many ways

Unlike nowadays when it appears to me that local radio appears to be biased towards other clubs

Discussions in other topics ask how we can increase attendances.

If we could get "decent radio coverage on our side surely this would help