11th May 1991 Oldham 3 Sheff Weds 2

Its 20 years ago to the day that Neil Redferan wrote himself into Oldham Athletic folklore with that penalty

Now I wasn't at this game as I was still going to games on occasions and being only 8 it depended on dependence taking me down still. 1990 was year 0 in my footballing life as Latics cup runs had reignited by dads enthusiasm for Latics and ofcourse after that came Italia 90.

The 90-91 season I was asking my dad to take me pretty often and got to plenty of games sat on a crush barrier in the Chaddy end terrace I loved the atmosphere. Back then the Chaddy held 6000 and was pretty much 90% full every week. With the prospect of this, the boundary park climate, having to adapt to a plastic pitch and facing a team who feared knowone and would go after you from the 1st whistle Boundary Park must have had the intimidation factor of a bear pit for any opposition player, manager, or even supporter stuck in the open ended RRE, and this showed in the home results that season P23 W17 D5 L1.

So anyone got any stories of that day/season? were you part of the pitch invasion. I do like reading the stories people come out with on here. particularly the more random ones.

I was 7. I was part of the pitch invasion after the final whistle. I was stood in our usual spot with my dad - towards the corner of the main stand paddock and rochdale road end. I remember how warm it was (after how cold the night game vs boro was a few days before). The things I remember. wednesday fans being taken from the chaddy around the pitch when they scored the first. A great save by Halworth at 2-2. Bernards goal (bizarely I remember that more than the 3rd).

I also remember being on my dads shoulders at full time on the pitch. Ian marshall was stood up the steps and saying "Hes waved at me dad" Obviously he was just waving, but I was really happy with that.

I'm gutted I was so young, I needed to experience promotion and wembley etc at a decent age when I a. Appreciated it and b. Could get bladdered!

I was in the main stand, called the George Hill stand I think at the time, and was 14. Remember proudly wearing my new Latics tracksuit (the Umbro days were the best I think) and crying for joy at the late drama. An old bloke looked round at me and smiled, but he was probably thinking "the soft b*gger".

With regard to not being able to get bladdered to celebrate Pukka, I'm with you there, but made up for it after the cup win at Everton!

I was 15 & it was my second or third "proper" season of watching us. On the lash before and after :unsure:

Stood at the top left of the Chaddy (as you look at it).

I went down to the front when we equalised as I had a feeling we'd do it - you always did in those days.

I was one of the first on the pitch when the penalty went in - best feeling ever &, even at that age, I appreciated it and still do. :grin:

Its 20 years ago to the day that Neil Redferan wrote himself into Oldham Athletic folklore with that penalty

Now I wasn't at this game as I was still going to games on occasions and being only 8 it depended on dependence taking me down still. 1990 was year 0 in my footballing life as Latics cup runs had reignited by dads enthusiasm for Latics and ofcourse after that came Italia 90.

The 90-91 season I was asking my dad to take me pretty often and got to plenty of games sat on a crush barrier in the Chaddy end terrace I loved the atmosphere. Back then the Chaddy held 6000 and was pretty much 90% full every week. With the prospect of this, the boundary park climate, having to adapt to a plastic pitch and facing a team who feared knowone and would go after you from the 1st whistle Boundary Park must have had the intimidation factor of a bear pit for any opposition player, manager, or even supporter stuck in the open ended RRE, and this showed in the home results that season P23 W17 D5 L1.

So anyone got any stories of that day/season? were you part of the pitch invasion. I do like reading the stories people come out with on here. particularly the more random ones.

look what I found bro

look what I found bro

This is my memory, like a stoopid knob I picked the Boro game over the SHeff Wed game, never in a million years did I think West Ham '1-0' would blow it :ranting: , but it was still awesome to have been a part of those times…..

I don't remember that much of the game, I had a season ticket 2 or 3 rows from the back of the Lookers, about 15 seats in, so I would have been not far from level with the 18 yard line at the end where the penalty was scored. I remember the award of the penalty and we had all heard the score from the West Ham game so we knew if we scored we were the champions. When the ref pointed to the spot we celebrated like we had already scored, because he could not miss could he? Surely not. Then the shock of having people on the pitch, thinking this might upset Neil’s concentration. I remember Neil placing the ball and stepping back ... I covered my eyes, you could hear a pin drop, the ref blew his whistle.... the place erupted. I never saw it.

I remember being jealous that I could not get on the pitch.... After the game, and the lap of honour, my Dad was having a pint (or several) in the Lookers bar so I went through the toilets into the paddock and had my own mini pitch invasion, one boy by himself an empty stadium and me on the pitch. Then I think a tractor appeared, so I quickly disappeared back to the lookers bar. Think I was the happiest 11 year old in the world and thinking football was the greatest happiness that anyone could have …

…as I now know that was the pinnacle

I remember, seconds earlier being denied a stonewall penalty, before barlow was fowled on the left side of the box by one John Sheridan (correct me if I'm wrong?). I was 12 and I just couldn't watch the pen -- so I buried my head on my brother's shoulder. That is right the biggest moment in latics history and I didn't have the bollocks to watch :lol:

I can't believe it is 20 years ago now :blink:

What odds? We were 25/1 for promotion….

You must have gone to a better bookies than me Prozac as the best odds i got all that season were 8/1 to win the league. We had had a 'reasonable' season the one before as i remember which caused the bookies to shorten our odds. I had several bets and came out with around 180 notes. I've told this story before on here but me and my girlfriend were stood in the centre of the Chaddy which by then had had the roof taken off in preparation for the rebuilding for the next season. As a result there was no PA in the Chaddy End and we couldn't here the dulcet tones of Alan Hardy at half time. We went out to celebrate that night and got home to a 'phone message from my girlfriends dad -

'my mate in the club went to Latics and says she's won the £500 Starline draw, is that right?'

A perfect end to an incredible day.

Edited by astottie

I ran on the pitch from the lookers after the second and the third, I pulled a sicky from work for the last two weeks of the season (to make it look better) because we had weekend work on and I would have had to work the Saturdays . My brother in law who died a few years later ran on with us and is the first to reach redfearn , top top memories.

He is the uncle of David Mellor who is just breaking through now !!

I was there, standing in the roofless Chaddy End on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

As the penalty was about to be taken I couldn’t see the goal line so I leaned forward, and fell down to the next step! I never saw the ball hit the back of the net, but I still remember the noise!

I didn’t want to leave BP that afternoon, but eventually I floated up Sheepfoot Lane on my way home.

Can’t believe it was 20 years ago!

I had a good view of the Coppers and their horses, that is potentially the only time I've seen mounted police inside the ground at a football match, keeping Sheffield Wednesday fans from reaching our fans, where it would have been men against boys, at one point it looked like the cops were fighting a loosing battle.

I was stood in the Lookers Paddock (Chaddy End side), a great day for the club and its fans, one of my best ever days as a Latics fan.

The tension and circumstances that led to Redfearn slotting that penalty were tremendous, I had my radio so I knew what was going on at West Ham.

Great great day.

Lookers paddock. Initially on my Dads shoulders. Eventually on the boards at the front (I think). Absolutely magical. I still wish I was a little bit older though.

I've always had a strange recollection that Neil Redfearn had to take his penalty twice either because of encroachment of the pitch invasion. I've never seen a tape to confirm this. I think I might have made it up to add to the tension.

I remember, seconds earlier being denied a stonewall penalty, before barlow was fowled on the left side of the box by one John Sheridan (correct me if I'm wrong?). I was 12 and I just couldn't watch the pen -- so I buried my head on my brother's shoulder. That is right the biggest moment in latics history and I didn't have the bollocks to watch :lol:

I can't believe it is 20 years ago now :blink:

This is one of my abiding memories of the game. I was stood in roughly the same place at Harry Bosch by the sound of it.

The ball was flicked up and hit Anderson (I think) on the hand and the whole of the Chaddy End and Paddock went up. I think my words were something like "HANDBALL!! REF! PENALTY!!! That's handball! F***ing Hell referee that's a f***ing penalty, are you f***ing blind?!"

I think I then glanced across to my uncle who I was stood with saying "HOW THE F**K has he not given that?! Is he f***ing blind or someth.....PEEENNNNNAAAAALLLTTTTYYY!!!" and then I nearly drowned in that mad swell of people as everybody rushed forward like we'd already scored the winner.

Due to a combination of being surrounded by 'bigger boys' and being so packed in, I struggled to actually see the goal as Redders stepped up, so as he struck the ball I watched the reaction of the players. I'll never forget the noise as it went in, and Marshy jumping up and punching the air!

I also remeber some knuckle dragger Wednesday fan swinging a punch at my uncle outside the old shop on the corner of sheepfoot lane as he came bounding down the road to meet me afterwards as we got split up in the melee!

Happy days!

Think you might be right, that was for the title wasn't it? - just have that picture of JR in the bookies with the odds and the club's charity stake of £50...

Yes for the title best odds i could find at the time.

Sadly, I wasn't there. I was only ten, so my attendence depended on my dad and his finances. My memory is of watching the scores tick through on the telly with him. IIRC(?), West Ham were winning 1-0 and obviously we were losing 2-0, and it was looking very unlikely. News of Marshall's goal came through, followed by Bernard's and two Notts County goals. My dad couldn't take the tension and went and starting digging in the back garden, which was not usual behaviour for him. Full time at Upton Park and then news of Redfearn's penalty, immediately followed by confirmation of the final whistle. I ran outside and screamed "We're champions!" and my dad and I jumped around like idiots in the garden.

Stood behind the goal at the Chaddy End.......As NR put the ball on the spot the scoreboard displayed the final score West Ham 1 Notts Cty 2

which as we all know meant he scores we win the title.......could not have made it up

Thank you Shez for the clumsy bump into Andy Barlow......never in a million years was that a penalty :)