• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bring this up again...... But do we realistically ever have a chance of him signing? I think not. I can't see why he would move to us, even as a last season before he hangs up his boots.

But I hope I'm wrong!!!!!!

He would only sign if ever approached and I dont think under the current administration thats an option as he would probably cost a fair old wage! Although I reckon he would put a couple of thousand on the home gate??? Thoughts???

I think Corney would get him if he is available. If Scholes had any interest in coming then I think it would have to be a definate that we get in the play offs and promoted. As a Oldham fan, if I was in his position I would play for a season just to get them promoted after seeing them suffer year in year out for so long. No matter what, I would hang up my boots after that year. But unfortunately I'm not Scholes and maybe he'd rather just finish his career on a high. Wage wise, I think he would settle for highest payed, even if it was £1 over. Money wouldnt really be on his list of demands I don't think.

This is the point in these numerous threads where I repeatedly post the quote from Scholes' interview published in the Telegraph.

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!"

This is the point in these numerous threads where I repeatedly post the quote from Scholes' interview published in the Telegraph.

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!"

Regular in BP when can be their. Used to sit in chaddy until fergie said something about not wanting him in their.. now he goes into directors box when he comes i think?

I don't expect him to sign, but surely there would be no better time than now for all parties to make it happen. United haven't used him much for a while and may be looking to rebuild in the summer, Scholes isn't past it yet and although he hasn't got long left he could still make a big impact with us and could achieve something that not many top players have the chance to do by helping the club they love (fingers crossed he's that sentimental)! For us, aside from numerous off the pitch benefits, I can't think of a better type of midfielder than Furman who he could play alongside at our level, who does a lot of the dirty work and is a box-to-box player meaning that he wouldn't be overworked. He's got plenty of time to coach at United in the future and surely one year away from there won't burn his bridges there.

Of course the biggest benefit is that he has more motivation than most to punch Taylor in training, with him having to prove he's the best Ginger and all that. :first::clown:

So come on Paul you know it makes sense! :deal2:

The other side of this is coaching. Pretty sure I have read that the red taggart has offered him a player coaching role at the scum. If Paul wants to get into coaching, that would be a very hard thing for him to turn down.

I still hold out hope for Paul wanting to play for Oldham though, I think it would make next season a totally different prospect. I am sure all the players here would get a lift training alongside and learning from a former England international and world class player. As for wage, I can't see it being an issue. If Paul wanted to come to Oldham it would be because of his love for the club, not to make money.

Come on Paul, you know you want to help the latics be the best they can be.

I doubt he will ever play for us in a competitive match and will hang up his boots this summer.

HOWEVER.........

Don't you think that Corney would have raised the subject with him? I'm sure that he would have done so purely as it would guarantee a significant increase to our gate every game plus extra through shirts, merchandise and Sky having us on telly more than once a season.

I doubt he will ever play for us in a competitive match and will hang up his boots this summer.

HOWEVER.........

Don't you think that Corney would have raised the subject with him? I'm sure that he would have done so purely as it would guarantee a significant increase to our gate every game plus extra through shirts, merchandise and Sky having us on telly more than once a season.

really? i think the first game yeah maybe be but i highly doubt they will come back over and over again will they.

really? i think the first game yeah maybe be but i highly doubt they will come back over and over again will they.

If he's signed in the summer it could provide a boost to season ticket sales, merchandise etc not just matchday income.

If he's signed in the summer it could provide a boost to season ticket sales, merchandise etc not just matchday income.

I've often thought if we should pick one of the two Manchester teams and sign their legends in an effort to get fans in.

How many would come next year if we got Gary Neville, Giggs and Scholes in? I reckon it'd double our crowd.

It'd take some organising, and would slightly piss the original fans off, but financially it would be a gold mine.

NB. I know it'll never happen as long as Taggart draws breath.

Really ? i doubt it to be honest. one ex scum player wont draw a few thousand to the gate.

Who said a few thousand? I don't think it would do that either but I do think people would buy season tickets on the strength of Scholes playing for Oldham and more people would come to watch Oldham as well. As long as Scholes is good enough to play in League 1 and it was financially viable then what's the problem?

Who said a few thousand? I don't think it would do that either but I do think people would buy season tickets on the strength of Scholes playing for Oldham and more people would come to watch Oldham as well. As long as Scholes is good enough to play in League 1 and it was financially viable then what's the problem?

There is no problem, but with people saying it would boost our attendences, it wouldnt. yeah maybe thei first they games but not everygame to be honest.

There is no problem, but with people saying it would boost our attendences, it wouldnt. yeah maybe thei first they games but not everygame to be honest.

It would boost attendances, they would be much better early on and die back but attendances would still be better than they would without Scholes. With extra season ticket sales they would be better as a result.

It would boost attendances, they would be much better early on and die back but attendances would still be better than they would without Scholes. With extra season ticket sales they would be better as a result.

i really dont think someone will pay £350+ for a season ticket at latics to see paul scholes play for us.