Pearce backs down

Sound judgement from Pearce. Wilshere will be shagged out after this season and Carroll's spent most of it injured.

I agree. Wilshere especially shouldn't have been picked in the first place. He's played 48 games this season and should be concentrating now on full England caps.

It's rubbish. How can we expect to actually produce decent international footballers if we don't pick them for important tournaments?

Look at Germany. The team that leathered England in the World Cup in 2010 had 4 players (Neuer, Khedira, Boateng, Ozil) who started the game when Germany leathered England in the Euro Under 21 final in 2009. Playing in the U21's a year before a major tournament didn't do them any harm.

Tournament football is unlike anything else in football. The experience of tournament football can only be gained by playing in tournaments, so why we don't treat all the age group tournaments seriously baffles me.

It's rubbish. How can we expect to actually produce decent international footballers if we don't pick them for important tournaments?

Look at Germany. The team that leathered England in the World Cup in 2010 had 4 players (Neuer, Khedira, Boateng, Ozil) who started the game when Germany leathered England in the Euro Under 21 final in 2009. Playing in the U21's a year before a major tournament didn't do them any harm.

Tournament football is unlike anything else in football. The experience of tournament football can only be gained by playing in tournaments, so why we don't treat all the age group tournaments seriously baffles me.

That.

What is the point of any level of international football if it gets cancelled by clubs 'claiming' their players are goosed - despite the same players saying they are okay?

And Wilshire should especially have been picked.

Tournament football is completely different to anything else that players play. If we are going to be successful at senior level our young players need experience of tournaments.

I accept that Wilshere has probably over played this season but can you imagine how invaluable the experience in Denmark would be to him assuming he is in Poland/Ukraine for the Euros next summer.