What do you lads know about Germany

Im driving through to poland next month because my girlfriends visiting family (she has Polish roots, she is born and bred Lancashire not an immigrant so back off) and decided to make a quick tour of Germany whilst where their, problem being our knowledge of Germany is limited to say the least. Berlin is the obvious one along the way for a good night out or 2 but i want to throw a tent in the boot and need some recommendations from fellow Latics who know of any places that id be mad to drive past without stopping.. cheers , i know its a shot in the dark but you never know what some of you might know..

A tiny little village in western Poland not far from the border, Kunice. So is Hamburg worth looking into, i did think about that mainly as its one of the few German cities ive heard of and its not too far of a detour.

Firstly you should have gone during the football season as the atmosphere at German games is fantastic.

If you are driving there, then you may well pass the Dortmund area. In which case head to Bochum (cheers Help Shiney, that was very useful). Then up to Hamburg*, but find a 'local' bar. Otherwise it is pretty pricey. Then go to Berlin. Which I found, awesome. Loads to see, but still geared towards getting :censored:faced.

Manageable distances too.

NB. Do you smoke? If so, this place is heaven. If not, prepare to have heavy lungs for a few days (especially in Hamburg).

*Strange as it may sound, go to the model railway museum by the docks**. It's brilliant.

**http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Firstly you should have gone during the football season as the atmosphere at German games is fantastic.

If you are driving there, then you may well pass the Dortmund area. In which case head to Bochum (cheers Help Shiney, that was very useful). Then up to Hamburg*, but find a 'local' bar. Otherwise it is pretty pricey. Then go to Berlin. Which I found, awesome. Loads to see, but still geared towards getting :censored:faced.

Manageable distances too.

NB. Do you smoke? If so, this place is heaven. If not, prepare to have heavy lungs for a few days (especially in Hamburg).

*Strange as it may sound, go to the model railway museum by the docks**. It's brilliant.

**http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Ive always wanted to get to a bundesliga game, ive heard of the atmosphere and the very cheap tickets. Im a smoker and one of the things i look forward too when holidaying abroad is being able to light up in a cosy bar with a beer in t'other hand. Berlin will be a definite although ill be concentrating more on the beer than sightseeing to be honest. Well two of you now have put Hamburg on the map so ive got somewhere to start researching, cheers.

By the way, im sort of assuming prices for things such as Petrol/beer/eating out are similar if not slightly less than in the uk, i don't immagine Germany being a more expensive country than UK??

EDIT- Just watched a 4 minute clip of Wunderland- my god someone would be upset if that builidng set on fire and burnt to the ground- some man hours gone into that! Convincing girlfriend to go and watch toy trains whizz around for a couple of hrs might be hard work though, it's something i'd love to see!

Edited by keep_the_faith

• 4 weeks later...

I love Germany, probably my favourite country on the continent (apart from football reasons of course). Great beer and very friendly people, particularly in the south. Its probably too much of a detour but Munich is one of the best cities in the world imo. Fantastic beer halls and some great countryside surrounding the city.

If you're going via Calais you could take in Koln, Dusseldorf and Berlin on the way (maybe even Hamburg) which would be a good road trip.

If you go to Berlin you should take a segway tour of the city. It looks ridiculous and isn't cheap (around €70) - I had to be dragged kicking and screaming by a mate but it was awesome and I'd thoroughly recommend it: http://citysegwaytours.com/berlin

In terms of cost, its similar to here. Maybe even slightly more expensive with the :censored: £ to € exchange rate. In the city centres its €3-4 for 500ml of beer but if you don't mind going off the beaten track a bit you can find some great little drinking holes - when I was in Berlin around 12 months ago we found a dingy place selling great beer for €1.80. Stayed there all night and got wrecked!

I'll echo the comments made by leeslover - the food isn't great. Obviously they have some decent restaurants but the pub grub tends to be a combination of boiled sausage, sauerkraut, schnitzel and fries. It makes good drinking food and certainly isn't inedible but you get sick of it pretty quickly.

Where abouts in Poland are you visiting?

I might be doing the Octoberfest this year - book me an ambulance please!

I've been to Okt'fest a couple of times - its incredible! I'd love to go back but recently the accomodation costs have gone through the roof. When I looked last year it was €60 for one night in a hostel dorm!!

Sorry to jump on your thread buddy but ...

I'm off to Hamburg in a couple of weeks for the Haye fight. Anyone point me in the direction of a few things to do. Got a couple of days there?

Places to eat, drink, see, play?

Rieperbahn street :wink:

Edited by bossrocks

I've been to Okt'fest a couple of times - its incredible! I'd love to go back but recently the accomodation costs have gone through the roof. When I looked last year it was €60 for one night in a hostel dorm!!

My Convict mate in work is organising it, reckons he can hire an apartment where a load of us will doss down and it won't cost a lot. I can't imagine I would get much value out of luxury accomodation after 3 days of heavy drinking and leering at serving girls' norks.

If you go to Berlin you should take a segway tour of the city. It looks ridiculous and isn't cheap (around €70) - I had to be dragged kicking and screaming by a mate but it was awesome and I'd thoroughly recommend it: http://citysegwaytours.com/berlin

Seconded, I did it last year and it was fantastic, though it took my wife a bit of time to get used to and she had to be saved by the tourguide when hers ranaway.

My Convict mate in work is organising it, reckons he can hire an apartment where a load of us will doss down and it won't cost a lot. I can't imagine I would get much value out of luxury accomodation after 3 days of heavy drinking and leering at serving girls' norks.

That sounds like a decent idea actually, probably work out pretty cheap between you.

And those Bavarian waitresses are great. Its worrying when you see a little hottie carrying 7 litres of beer in each hand - don't think I could do that!!

These lads might know a thing or two about cheap accommodation in Germany……

11.jpg

Berlin is good. Only downside to it i found was that the food was universally :censored:, although given that i dont eat pork or beef i was ruled out of 95% of the menus.

I enjoy chicken as much as the next man but, alas, there's only ever pork or beef on the menu these days.