The latest Ernieflag blog looks at Fabio Capello's call for the introduction of a winter break to help the national team.

The blog focuses on the football arguments without looking at what the fans want (after all, it's not as if that would be taken into account).

I've also tried not to let this season's experience cloud my judgement as we all know just how much good a five week winter break did Latics in the second half of the season!

Edited by Latics & England

The latest Ernieflag blog looks at Fabio Capello's call for the introduction of a winter break to help the national team.

The blog focuses on the football arguments without looking at what the fans want (after all, it's not as if that would be taken into account).

I've also tried not to let this season's experience cloud my judgement as we all know just how much good a five week winter break did Latics in the second half of the season!

The winter break would only work if there are less games to play. Otherwise you cram more in at another point. In the nd what will happen is the premier league clubs will either:

a. Reduce the league so its an 18 team league

b. Not play in the league cup.

I'd say there should be a winter break for the premier league. Dec games as normal. Week 1 of Jan FA cup 3rd round. Last week of Jan FA cup 4th round. Any replays of the fa cup would be 3 days after the fa cup 3rd round. And scrap the league cup. I dont think the clubs would vote for that. They want Christmas off - thats part of the point.

The winter break would only work if there are less games to play. Otherwise you cram more in at another point. In the nd what will happen is the premier league clubs will either:

I'd say there should be a winter break for the premier league. Dec games as normal. Week 1 of Jan FA cup 3rd round. Last week of Jan FA cup 4th round. Any replays of the fa cup would be 3 days after the fa cup 3rd round. And scrap the league cup. I dont think the clubs would vote for that. They want Christmas off - thats part of the point.

Think your spot on with these two, although this would inevitably lead to

1) PL clubs putting the prices up yet again because they are playing less games (as liverpool have done this season)

2) Which league or leagues from Championship, League 1 and League 2 would get the extra teams?

Football has been a game that tests skill, teamwork and character in all conditions. It's a game of skill but is also a physical one. It brings them together.

Great matches have been played in foul conditions. Great players have been those that excelled in cold and sleet, just as great players have excelled on billiard table surfaces.

A winter break may have some plus points but I can't help but feel that it would take away some of the real attributes of the game. Our climate is not the same as Scandinavia or Russia. The number of postponement we had last season in the exception rather than the norm.

No winter break!

Soft bastards hadn't played more than one game since the beginning of May.

Many didn't play much in January because of snow.

What the hell is the point of squads if they're all a bit tired at the end of it.

Liverpool once won the title using 14 players in a 42 games season. I think they won the European Cup the same year.

Modern Premiership players should be ashamed of piss poor excuses like those used after Saturday's game.

Edited by opinions4u

for me the football system needs to change as a whole. 5 leagues -prem 18 teams

-other fl leagues (4) with 20 teams in.(maybe even regionalise the bottom 2 leagues?)

this would reduce games and increase member clubs to 98 which means 6 more 'full-time' clubs and spread the bigger teams through the league. if introduced this season without regionalisation the system would probably be.

prem- chelsea manure citeh arsenal lpool spurs everton fulham villa blackburn sunderland wba newcastle stoke bolton qpr swansea norwich

champ- whu bpool wolves birmingham wigan cardiff burnley leeds reading forest millwall leicester hull boro ipswich watford bristol city brighton saints pboro

l1- preston sheff u scunny pompey barnsley palace cov derby donny chesterfield bury wycombe stevenage huddersfield bournmouthe mk leyton orient exeter dale col u

l2- carlisle charlton yeovil wednesday hartlepool oldham trannies notts county walsall shrews accrington torquay gills rotherham crewe dagenham swindon bristol r plymouth portvale

l3- oxford southend aldershot macc northampton cheltenham bradford burton morcombe hereford barnet lincoln stockport crawley wimbledon luton wrexham fleetood darlington kidderminster.

i think its fair promoted clubs keep their promotions etc. only a quick idea but i think it is a workable idea

The obvious time to me is during December up to Xmas. No one has any money and crowds are low.

Re start the season with the Boxing Day games, giving a double boost.

Trouble is the weather is not neccesarily the worst then.

So lots of Jan games get cancelled and we are in the same situation of a fixture pile up.

for me the football system needs to change as a whole. 5 leagues -prem 18 teams

-other fl leagues (4) with 20 teams in.(maybe even regionalise the bottom 2 leagues?)

this would reduce games and increase member clubs to 98 which means 6 more 'full-time' clubs and spread the bigger teams through the league. if introduced this season without regionalisation the system would probably be.

prem- chelsea manure citeh arsenal lpool spurs everton fulham villa blackburn sunderland wba newcastle stoke bolton qpr swansea norwich

champ- whu bpool wolves birmingham wigan cardiff burnley leeds reading forest millwall leicester hull boro ipswich watford bristol city brighton saints pboro

l1- preston sheff u scunny pompey barnsley palace cov derby donny chesterfield bury wycombe stevenage huddersfield bournmouthe mk leyton orient exeter dale col u

l2- carlisle charlton yeovil wednesday hartlepool oldham trannies notts county walsall shrews accrington torquay gills rotherham crewe dagenham swindon bristol r plymouth portvale

l3- oxford southend aldershot macc northampton cheltenham bradford burton morcombe hereford barnet lincoln stockport crawley wimbledon luton wrexham fleetood darlington kidderminster.

i think its fair promoted clubs keep their promotions etc. only a quick idea but i think it is a workable idea

There cant be an extra division. Part of the problem with english football is there are too many professional clubs.

Yet anyone who suggests merging with other clubs would probably get lynched

"Lord" Sugar only said one thing worth listening to on his sugar tackles football show. That was - it would do football some good if a few teams went bust. It would... if they weren't replaced.

Edited by pukka

So how would Latics and others survive on 19 home games instead of 23?

A 20%+ drop in gate revenue would be good for lower league football ?

It would mean the leagues were more competetive,possibly make the paint pot more appealling and tv money more evenly split.

Less midweek games and fa cup 1st and 2nd rounds would have 4 or 5 more 'lucrative' teams in it.

the winter break thing has always just been an excuse for England not cutting it.

Hope it doesnt come in, the winter fixtures are the best part of the footballing season and to sacrifice that when teams like Spain will tear us apart whatever we do sounds foolish to me!

It would mean the leagues were more competetive,possibly make the paint pot more appealling and tv money more evenly split.

Less midweek games and fa cup 1st and 2nd rounds would have 4 or 5 more 'lucrative' teams in it.

Why would any of that happen?

Other than fewer midweek games?

Why would any of that happen?

Other than fewer midweek games?

the teams in the league would theoretically be more evenly matched as there are less teams. there would only be 18 teams in the premier league and so again 'theoretically' the money should be filtered down. the paintpot would have 4 or 5 more 'lucrative' teams in and a drop in league games might increase these crowds. only talking in an ideal world with my idea and in a common sense kind of way but when does common sense ever provail in football?