Regionalised Football - A Farce

I know a few support the idea but after what happened to my local club today I'm not one of them. After the demise of Rushden & Diamonds Bishop's Stortford got shifted from Conf South to North and from having pver half their games within a 50 mile raduus now have precisely none. Instead they now have games as far as Blyth and Gateshead. Lord knows what he transport bills will be but I suspect they will be big enough to threaten the club's future.

I know a few support the idea but after what happened to my local club today I'm not one of them. After the demise of Rushden & Diamonds Bishop's Stortford got shifted from Conf South to North and from having pver half their games within a 50 mile raduus now have precisely none. Instead they now have games as far as Blyth and Gateshead. Lord knows what he transport bills will be but I suspect they will be big enough to threaten the club's future.

It happened with Forest and Derby in the 40's. Two local clubs placed in two different divisions

EDIT: It was 1951, both nottingham clubs in Div 3 South,Derby in Div 3 North

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Theres no denying it does have some advantages but I really can't see it working, for some of the following reasons.

1) Can you honestly see a League 1 North and a League 1 South, with the division below becoming a national division? Sonehow I don't think so.

2) Promotion and Relegation: Even if the championship clubs increased the number of relegated teams from three to four, that still only leaves two spots each in any potential L1 north and L1 south for promotion (I presume it would be one up automatically then the winner of a playoff.

3) Quality: The quality gap in each league would be much much wider between the top and the bottom.

4) Fairness: One league may be particularly weaker than the other, which could lead to weaker teams being promoted and stronger teams being held back purely because of which league they fall into. For example, theoreticallyyou may have a situation where you have a very very strong league one north, with six or seven very strong teams, and a League one south with one good team and a few ok teams. In a nationalised league organised on ability, the chances are that the very good teams will win promotion. However, as Promotion would likely be limited to two teams from each league (unless the championship agree to having six relegated, which i very much doubt they would) you would have a scenario where the much better teams in the stronger league are being held back because of a limited number of promotion places, and an okish team in league 1 south is promoted that would never have been promoted if the league was nationalised.

In a nutshell agree with Dave og. Regionalisation didn't work then, which is why they got rid of it. What makes the likes of hardy think it will work now?

It could work but it would take a lot of man hours to find a way, i wouldn't like the idea of this because it would feel more part-time and give even more of a distance between us and the top dogs. One negative side not mentioned is the effect on promoted teams once out of the divsion, clubs would go from never having to play outside a 50 mile radius to suddenly playing all over the country. This I would imgine would mean promotion would in fact be more hurtful economically then staying down.

If it were to come up it have to be three relegated sidea from Championship replaced by winner of North and South, with the other promotion being determined by a play-off system similar to the one in place now. 2-5 play each other over two legs then a regional final at a neutral ground. The winners of that would play in a final at Wembley thereby keeping the showpiece Football League event.

The relegated Champtionship sides would need to be placed where there is space, as they are in a postion to deal with it best fincailly

It could work but it would take a lot of man hours to find a way, i wouldn't like the idea of this because it would feel more part-time and give even more of a distance between us and the top dogs. One negative side not mentioned is the effect on promoted teams once out of the divsion, clubs would go from never having to play outside a 50 mile radius to suddenly playing all over the country. This I would imgine would mean promotion would in fact be more hurtful economically then staying down.

If it were to come up it have to be three relegated sidea from Championship replaced by winner of North and South, with the other promotion being determined by a play-off system similar to the one in place now. 2-5 play each other over two legs then a regional final at a neutral ground. The winners of that would play in a final at Wembley thereby keeping the showpiece Football League event.

The relegated Champtionship sides would need to be placed where there is space, as they are in a postion to deal with it best fincailly

And to add to that, you could get sides such as Notts County, Walsall, Shrewsbury, Lincoln, Posh etc who would be liable to jump between north and south depending on the make up of teams, and as Dave OG shown with his example, this may mean the diffeerence of paying 10,000 on travel expenses, or paying 100,000 on travel expenses.

Carl's main post spells out all the main reasons i dont think this is a good idea at least as well . One extra point, which i think needs to be thought about at every stage of football - if the clubs got more money from higher gates, they would spend it. It's not making clubs safer to just increase their revenue, they either live within their means or not. Increasing club income increases player salaries.

The first of many I fear over the next 5-10 years, whilst oblivious to this, Man.Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool et al continue to increase average footballers salaries by 4 and 5 times their already heavily inflated wages, making the financial gap ever wider and eventually non sustainable in football.

Premier league a farce.

The first of many I fear over the next 5-10 years, whilst oblivious to this, Man.Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool et al continue to increase average footballers salaries by 4 and 5 times their already heavily inflated wages, making the financial gap ever wider and eventually non sustainable in football.

Premier league a farce.

To be fair to Man U though, they only spend 45 percent of their income on wages

Really? I thought they were going to play in the Zamareto South or what ever it's called.

They might ask to gop there or the Ryman, both of which would effectively be a relegation as playing at the level they are now but in the "wrong" division is unsustainable