Bill Spurdle

Bill was evacuated from Guernsey to Oldham during the war. He joined Latics as a wartime amateur and turned professional in 1948. He was sold to Manchester City in 1950 for £10,000 and while there he became the first Channel Islander to play in a Wembley F.A. Cup Final in 1955. He was an all-rounder and usually appeared at right half.

Latics bought him back for £1,000 in 1957 and he retired in 1963 after making 200 appearances and scoring 24 goals.

Thanks for the memories Bill. R.I.P.

Bill use to live just down the road from my dad who was good friends with his son, so he spent a lot of time with Bill and his family. I have just asked my dad if he had any stories he would like to share this is what he came up with these ...

Bill has a great reason to play well - his wife. In FA Cup in the early 1960's Oldham played away at Chesterfield who were a division above us. With the game poised at 2-2 Bill had the chance to win the game for latics with a penalty ... He missed. Bill's wife rather than consoling her husband she refused to speak to him until Monday. Oldham won the replay 4-2. In the next round we got Liverpool.

On a more personal level one of my Dad's happiest memories was playing football on the park with John (Bill's son) one day they were joined by Bill and Bobby Johnstone. I'm sure that most of us would give a hell of a lot to have a kick about with our childhood heros.

Bill played with Bobby at Manchester City, it was Bill who managed to convince Bobby that he should sign for Oldham

Bill played against my dad is a game a couple of years after Bill had retired. Bill's team had a corner and it ended up at Bill's feet on the edge of the box. My dad decided it would be a good idea to head it off the line, he successfully cleared the ball ... but such was the power in the shot my dad cannot remember anything about the rest of the game

Im sure I speak for my dad, myself and many other latics fan when I say

RIP Bill

I remember him well and I'm lucky enough to have seen him in a Latics shirt in both of his spells with the club. If memeory serves me correctly, Bill had a tomato growing business when he returned to the Channel Islands after retiring.

RIP Bill. Condolences to your family.