Stupidity from Bell.

It wasn't like the Collingwood one when someone got taken out and wasn't their fault.

Morgan knew it and I think Bell knew it when he was half way down the track.

As we say in football, you play till the whistle.

Fair play to India, but for me there is a difference between spirit of the game and serves you right!

It would have been :censored:ty to run him out. But, I reckon ourselves and a number of other 'win at all costs' countries would have claimed it.

It will look bad if they lose (in their own country), but I think Dohni has displayed outstanding sportsmanship.

The Collingwood one embarrased me at the time, and that's limited overs/kids cricket pap.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with you, Gower and Hussein both said they would have appealed.

If there hadn't been a tea break it could have got very unpleasant.

And they'd have been wrong to.

Whilst true, if it wasn't before tea it probably wouldn't have happened :wink:

Bollocks.

Shouldn't have appealed in the first place.

Why shouldn't they have appealed for a run out? The Indians did nothing wrong.

Facts - Ball never went to the boundary and when thrown in Bell was out of his crease.

Bell's fault 100%.

Why shouldn't they have appealed for a run out? The Indians did nothing wrong.

Facts - Ball never went to the boundary and when thrown in Bell was out of his crease.

Bell's fault 100%.

'Twas against the spirit of the game. Like to think cricket is still a 'gentlemanly' sport and I'm afraid the Indians fell foul of that by appealing in the first place. I agree Bell was daft to put himself in that position, though all of Kumar's body language signalled it had gone for four so you can understand why he started walking off. Sharma and Rauf were doing the same.

What was the point in the umpire if you can go and get the opposition to change their mind? I was disgusted when Bell went back out. Lost a lot of respect for Strauss and Flower today. Its spoilt the game for me. Disgraceful.

I was given out at under 13's cricket. I was on 20 (you had to retire on 25) and I played and missed at one. Practiced my shot (out of my crease) and then the wicket keeper took the bails off. I'm out. It taught me a lesson.

Ashamed of England today.

Bell, Strauss - Cheats.

Disgusted.

Edited by pukka

Bell, Strauss - Cheats.

A strong word in any sport. And totally misused here. Nobody has cheated. The appeal was made legitimately. The retraction of the appeal was also completely at the choice of India's captain. In what way have Bell or Strauss cheated?

Dravid, a cricketer I have the utmost respect for, when interviewed after today's play summed it up.

"It felt wrong".

It was totally wrong. The fielder thought the ball was dead. Most of the Indian team appeared to think the ball was dead. Bell clearly thought the ball was dead. No attempt to gain an advantage (extra run) was being made.

I don't think the appeal should have been made. I was surprised that it wasn't withdrawn when the third umpire gave Dhoni the chance to withdraw it just before the "out" decision came. But in the heat of the moment we are all capable of the wrong decision.

Ultimately, the right decision was made. Dhoni comes out of it with a degree of respect and cricket wins.

I did not see the incident, as i was having a kebab a couple of hundred yards away. I understand that bell would, in the normal run of things, have felt that he was in and that was that. The game would take forever if they didnt get on with it, shall we have a big horn to sound when each ball is dead?

Would that decision have been made if Strauss and Flower not gone in for a "chat"?

People in football bash on about "bring the 3rd ref in to see if the ball has gone over the line or not" whats the point? You can see it doesn't go over, but give a goal anyway after both teams have a chat?

Cheat may be harsh, but what happened today was wrong. When Harbajan was shown on the big screen, that there was a massive inside edge, where was broad and strauss saying "actually its not out - go back in lad"? They want their cake and to eat it. I've really enjoyed this series and of course I want england to win, but not like that.

Edited by pukka

I did not see the incident, as i was having a kebab a couple of hundred yards away. I understand that bell would, in the normal run of things, have felt that he was in and that was that. The game would take forever if they didnt get on with it, shall we have a big horn to sound when each ball is dead?

No, but thats when the 3rd umpire would come in to clarify things. He came in, gave the decision and then it was ignored - so whats the point in him being there?

No, but thats when the 3rd umpire would come in to clarify things. He came in, gave the decision and then it was ignored - so whats the point in him being there?

It was fairly clear to me (interpretation on my part, not fact) that Bowden asked the on-field umpires to give Dhoni the chance to withdraw the appeal.

When that happens it basically means "the rules say he's out chaps, but if you want it that way it gets messy".

It was fairly clear to me (interpretation on my part, not fact) that Bowden asked the on-field umpires to give Dhoni the chance to withdraw the appeal.

When that happens it basically means "the rules say he's out chaps, but if you want it that way it gets messy".

I agree, but he said he wasn't withdrawing it. - Strauss and Flower then go to see him and he said ok. Thats dodgy. If we were away, what would the decision be? I bet they wouldn't have changed their minds then.

It was a one off situation to which a one off solution was found, which everyone involved seems to have felt was for the best. Isnt cricket wonderful?

Or some pressure was put on? I lost some faith in cricket today.

Or some pressure was put on? I lost some faith in cricket today.

This is India we are playing. You don't lean on them and get away with it. If they didn't want to revoke their appeal, then it wouldn't happen.

That being said, I personally don't think they should have revoked their appeal. Bell made a mistake. It would be an unusual dismissal, but these things happen. However, as Dravid said, it wasn't sitting well with the Indian team so they decided to change their minds, so fair play to them.

• 2 weeks later...