Capital Punishment

Matt

This is where it fails sometimes as an intelligent debate. The case in favour doesnt have to be all daily have mail. I can be as much of a tree hugger as the next man but there is a sensible intellectual case to be made for this. I was against it when i was an apprentice academic covering these areas but i've changed my mind since. What else is my question?

A sensible intellectual debate cannot be started by an illiterate right-wing maniac blogger. There's a debate to be had - but not with him or at his instigation.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would only be for it in extreme cases of multiple murders, where guilt is unquestionable.

I would be for it for no other reason but to save the taxpayers money which would be better spent elsewhere (like helping the families of victims for example).

Other than that, I am firmly opposed to the death penalty.

Ok the American case is a bit of an awkward one although I will point out that it says he has the IQ of a 7 year old. That's different from the mental age of a 7 year old.

Thing is can u use it as an excuse for committing horrific crimes? A good lawyer will always try to get a reduced sentence on grounds of mental incapacity. And I'm not being arsey but when I was seven I still knew murder was wrong.

There was a case in the paper last week. Something along the lines of a serial rapist was let out on a day release an then attacked a teenager. WTF? I'm not saying he shoal be killed but why the hell is he out in the first place?

This could run to a few pages yet.

If we can't have capital punishment, can we at least bring back the birch for all these rioters and looter?!

Edited by BlueJazzer

Ok the American case is a bit of an awkward one although I will point out that it says he has the IQ of a 7 year old. That's different from the mental age of a 7 year old.

Thing is can u use it as an excuse for committing horrific crimes? A good lawyer will always try to get a reduced sentence on grounds of mental incapacity. And I'm not being arsey but when I was seven I still knew murder was wrong.

There was a case in the paper last week. Something along the lines of a serial rapist was let out on a day release an then attacked a teenager. WTF? I'm not saying he shoal be killed but why the hell is he out in the first place?

This could run to a few pages yet.

If we can't have capital punishment, can we at least bring back the birch for all these rioters and looter?!

Again I agree there are clearly problems to be addressed - however that doesn't mean you have to take the polar opposite view and bring in the death penalty.