Capital Punishment

Matt

2chmfet.jpg

Right-wing blogger Guido Fawkes e-petition demands that "the Ministry of Justice… map out the necessary legislative steps which will be required to restore the death penalty for the murder of children and police officers when killed in the line of duty..."

Should we re-instate a policy that would force us to conflict with the European Convention on Human Rights and recognise a distinction between types of victim in the criminal justice system?

The Daily Mail is filling it's boots; this is from a paper whose stance is that the state can't be trusted to cure sick people, however it can be trusted to execute people? Crackers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we re-instate a policy that would force us to conflict with the European Convention on Human Rights

I have little time for the Convention, but I am absolutely against the death penalty.

1. It doesn't act as a deterrent - people who commit crime rarely expect to be caught.

2. It isn't cheaper than life in prison - death row prisoners in the USA cost significantly more than lifers.

3. Even DNA evidence isn't perfect - the risk of a mistake reamins.

4. It doesn't reduce crime. South Africa has the death penalty and a high murder rate; Scandinavian countries don't have the death penalty and have low murder rates.

5. Why let evil murdering bastards find peace by killing them?

The recidivism rate of those treated by the noose is extremely low. Re: points 3 and 5, you can go either way with them. It implies that you are subjecting the wrongly convicted to a long life of misery. I dont agree generally with giving different sentences depending on the victim for comparable crimes but i do think that there are some people who are better off offed. It takes forever in the usa because that quits the lawyers just fine. And the european problem? I have a solution for that too.

Leaving the EU? No - I could be out of a job it that happens and as bad as it may seem, its been quite good at stopping us from being at War with each other for the last 60 years.

However, the point I was making was that lots of other changes would likeley have to happen first and if there is no will for that to happen, its unlikely that this will be debated.

Why is the life of one worth more than that of another?

Is a police officers life worth more than a securicor man (if killed in the line of duty). Or Johnny shelfstacker who gets in the way of an armed robbery?

I’m not into it. But then again I’m too cool for it all:

You couldn’t hang with me, even if you were wearing a noose.

800 murders in a typical year in the UK.

We could always "fast-track" them to the noose/guillotene/electric chair/big brother house.....Jury of 5 Daily Mail readers, 2 from the Sun, 1 Guardian and 1 representing Nutz.....guilty every time in under 5 minutes, straight outside to be done....more space for the next lot.

I have little time for the Convention, but I am absolutely against the death penalty.

1. It doesn't act as a deterrent - people who commit crime rarely expect to be caught.

2. It isn't cheaper than life in prison - death row prisoners in the USA cost significantly more than lifers.

3. Even DNA evidence isn't perfect - the risk of a mistake reamins.

4. It doesn't reduce crime. South Africa has the death penalty and a high murder rate; Scandinavian countries don't have the death penalty and have low murder rates.

5. Why let evil murdering bastards find peace by killing them?

CLAP CLAP CLAP - spot on

Edited by pukka

There are many people who have murdered who i wouldnt want to be up for it, and many who have who i would. Some idiot who takes a life in a pub fight or who stabs a partner in a domestic rage - probably not. Someone who rapes and murders kids? Either insane or dead for me. Any planned murder really, but i would also consider those who commit crime as a lifestyle choice in the face of all opportunities and punishments given. That's what an, "outlaw," is, someone whose behaviour makes them tit to be defended by the law that they have no regard for. If someone gets caught 20 times robbing grannies and is happy to take a fine or jail spell when he gets unlucky, with due process i would have no problem with stringing him up for no. 21

Guest Scratch2000uk

I thought if e-petitions get over 100,000 signatures, MP's will discuss them in parliament?.

Leave the EU?. the sooner the better.

I thought if e-petitions get over 100,000 signatures, MP's will discuss them in parliament?.

Nope. It will be considered, and even then it'll be a token gesture given a very small amount of MP's time.

Restore Justice claims:

In 1964 when hanging was abolished the murder rate was 6.3 per million, in 2010 it was 13.5 per million. If the “life-for-a-life” deterrent remained, thousands of lives would have been saved over the decades since 1964. If the murder rate was the same as it was in 1964, 445 fewer lives would have been taken in 2010. The death penalty was an effective deterrent, abolition has cost 445 innocent lives in the last year alone.

Which is one big logical fallacy, that statement is so off-target it's laughable.

http://www.restorejustice.org.uk/

I agree, that statistic holds no water. It's as abstract and ridiculous as claiming that the existance of the EU stopped was in europe (sorry jim!). What is needed is a sober and considered decision about what to do with the very worst criminals in our country. I didnt think so in the past but in the last few years have come around to the conclusion that killing them is a better solution than locking them up forever.

I agree, that statistic holds no water. It's as abstract and ridiculous as claiming that the existance of the EU stopped was in europe (sorry jim!). What is needed is a sober and considered decision about what to do with the very worst criminals in our country. I didnt think so in the past but in the last few years have come around to the conclusion that killing them is a better solution than locking them up forever.

So it has no baring whatsoever LL?

The original EU was the European Steal and Coal Community and its main aim was to stop war by controlling the resources which made war, steal and coal. Considering that was it's main aim, it does seem to have been quite successful. Yes other reasons may also apply but to call my claim rediculous, well that is rediculous.