I think we should try 4-3-3

GK-Cisak DR-Lee DL-Black DC-Diamond DC-M'voto MC- Furman MC-Wesolwski (however you spell it :grin: ) MC-Winchester RW-Morais LW- Taylor ST-Smith? It could work... It would be a struggle for Black and Lee to overlap though.. But I think we have more chance getting the ball in to the box with that formation?

I like the 4-4-3/4-5-1, my one worry is do we have the striker to make it work. It could be the making of Smith, or would it just be too much for the lad? Reid is just as good as anyone on the ball (once under control), and Parker looks rapid but seems to make the wrong runs at the wrong time. Trying this against a 3-5-2 would be perfect if only to cope with the extra man in midfield, something we struggled with last season. Lund would be back also, so could be the strongest area of the pitch.

Hope Dickov goes for it, but doubt he will I expect the same starting 11 as last night. With a similar result, the clouds are beginning to form the question is can Latics disperse them?

Saturday would be a good time to try it. Yeovil play 3-5-2 with quite slow wing-backs so we could get a lot of joy out of playing Taylor and Morais in advanced wide positions.

You are correct in your assessment Bosh, lets hope Taylor an Morais take them on and there's enough men around the penalty area to take advantage.

I like the 4-4-3/4-5-1, my one worry is do we have the striker to make it work. It could be the making of Smith, or would it just be too much for the lad? Reid is just as good as anyone on the ball (once under control), and Parker looks rapid but seems to make the wrong runs at the wrong time. Trying this against a 3-5-2 would be perfect if only to cope with the extra man in midfield, something we struggled with last season. Lund would be back also, so could be the strongest area of the pitch.

Hope Dickov goes for it, but doubt he will I expect the same starting 11 as last night. With a similar result, the clouds are beginning to form the question is can Latics disperse them?

I like that one too but the FA, the officials & the opposition tend to spot it. Be nice if we tried it once or twice to see if we could get away with it.......

as for formation. Mike Bassett time,

we shall be playing 4-4-f&*($£g 2!!!!

I would say that we never stick to the same formation throught the game but lately it appears there is no plan B in there, just hoof it up to Smith and hope a player is in the right place. Last season we would switch between 4-5-1, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 with Tounkare being the main front man because of his presence, but it went wrong when he got burnt out and we lost Stephens

The worrying thing with 4-3-3 is how quickly it can become 4-5-1 and leave the striker isolated. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

how it's meant to work is to go 4-3-3 when a team is on the attack and 4-5-1 when the team is having to defend, whether a team implements this is judged by how well players can switch positions

how it's meant to work is to go 4-3-3 when a team is on the attack and 4-5-1 when the team is having to defend, whether a team implements this is judged by how well players can switch positions

Yeah I realise that, I just worry that it would become 4-5-1 permanently (not intentionally, players at this level just aren't brilliant tactically), and what was intended as an attacking formation would become very much defensive. I only say this because I know other clubs at this level have tried it in the past and it has turned out that way. It's an interesting idea though, although if PD brings in the striker he wants to hopefully we won't have to resort to it.