Inappropriate Chanting

On the back of yesterday's North London derby, the recent Leeds v United cup game and several other high profile incidents, I have written a blog on when chants cross the line to become inappropriate.

When does abuse become inappropriate?

There's also a new blog on the site from Terry on his trip to White Hart Lane last week with Shamrock Rovers

Hooping From Whitestown Way to White Hart Lane

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points made there. i was having some banter with a red fan on FB last week (typical red, never goes can't get a ticket etc etc) and he says his son (who has been to a few Latics games) came back from Old Trafford, his first Utd game,, buzzing & singing " we all hate Leeds Scum" - that was after playing Basel

Not racist, maybe pushing the boundaries? I don't know - at 50 maybe it's my age? When the whole thing is analysed its tribal and rules are difficult to draw up & impossible to enforce, as the blog hints at - the answer is self governance I think.

For what it's worth the Ian Moore song was easy to sing and quite catchy for our young "boot boys" - probably nothing more sinister!

It's all about context.

Us coercing our Jewish friend to join in with the nazi song at Charlton - funny. He knows we love his little Jew ass really.

The :censored:tards singing it to start with? String them up by the balls and beat them to a pulp.

I agree there's nowt sinister in the Ian Moore chant. It was fun an easy to

Sing along to added to the atmosphere and made the day very enjoyable but when Moore scored an turned to u's an made his gesture I was actuAlly quite happy for him. He ad spent 90 mins gettin abuse an he responded he had his say back an I think it sums up what football ab football chants are about. There wasn't any malice in it. I very much doubt he went home an cried himself to sleep. He wud av maybe had a short thought that he got at u's an we all went home thinkin ye we told him. 'abuse' like that is more than acceptable to me. Anythin about deaths or the like are over the line though. That's where the problem lies. And u's as latics fans are as bad as any wether it be the chant to Leeds about Turks an knives or chants to any random opposition about Munich. Wishing or mocking death at football (or anywhere) is disgraceful but if u stopped the rest of the chants u take something away from football

What is this ian moore song then?

Exactly what I was going to post..... It's a game at the end off the day and no matter how we dress it up means nothing....if someone called your dad a :censored: and your mum a whore in a pub you'd smack them in the mouth, so why's it acceptable en masse in a football ground?

As a farther it makes me not want to bring the kid to games...

As a pissed up 30+ year old I wouldn't attend without it...

:)

You can't win on this one... Its really up to the clubs to decide what sort of atmosphere they want at games.

Edited by oafc0000

As a farther it makes me not want to bring the kid to games...

As a pissed up 30+ year old I wouldn't attend without it...

:)

You can't win on this one :P

Funny you should say that. Some guy on talk sport who watched both football and Rugby said something similar.

I don't know how true it is but he way saying how great an atmosphere it was in Stockport when Sale Sharks were playing, fans of both sides mingling, all there to watch a game of Rugby. However whenever the football team played aka Stockport County, everyone on edge.

One thing that did annoy me last time I went was that the 'singers' in the RRE always seemed to prefer to sing 'we all hate leeds scum' or 'stand up if you hate man u' before singing 'Oh When The Blues.......' or 'Come on Oldham

We have the worst set of youth fans for repetative, uninventive and basic mong chants!

Absolutely awful!

We have the worst set of youth fans for repetative, uninventive and basic mong chants!

Absolutely awful!

Agree but there have been a couple of recentish efforts such as

The Will Haining Song

The Lee Hughes wherever you may be

Chris O'Grady Budweidser ad effort

and of course the Ohh Chrissy Taylor

be nice if we could come up with a few unique songs instead of simply copying Premier League ditties

Exactly what I was going to post..... It's a game at the end off the day and no matter how we dress it up means nothing....if someone called your dad a :censored: and your mum a whore in a pub you'd smack them in the mouth, so why's it acceptable en masse in a football ground?

What I didn't get was people crying over him giving a bit back - really, we called his mum a whore and it's upsetting that he cupped an ear to us?

Heres an interesting question, does anyone think the chanting from the home fans has deterioirated markedly since the 'singers' have moved over to the RRE from the chaddy?

No, it's still :censored:!

Tbh I've found the atmosphere better when everyone's been forced back into the Chaddy (and that's from me who is a RRE ST holder)

I hear you fella... and if you want an old school atmosphere at games I wouldn't moan...

But it is a barrier to some families coming with young children...

It is and you have to draw a line somewhere, the Ian Moore chants are in bad taste whilst the Die Ricketts Die chant was a collective Brain Fart from about 20-30 :censored:tards with a combined IQ of 7.

I take my 8 year old daughter now and tbh, it is world's apart to how it was 25 years ago. I'm selective on away games but i'm more than happy to take her to most games at BP. I took her to the Dale game last New Year, although the atmosphere was ugly (mainly due to the ref's performance) so we left a few minutes early 'just in case'.

It is and you have to draw a line somewhere, the Ian Moore chants are in bad taste whilst the Die Ricketts Die chant was a collective Brain Fart from about 20-30 :censored:tards with a combined IQ of 7.

I take my 8 year old daughter now and tbh, it is world's apart to how it was 25 years ago. I'm selective on away games but i'm more than happy to take her to most games at BP. I took her to the Dale game last New Year, although the atmosphere was ugly (mainly due to the ref's performance) so we left a few minutes early 'just in case'.

I am old school... Its the football... Pretty much anything goes :)

The way I view it personally is you are entering an adult environment and the behaviour will be as such. Those entering with children do so at their own risk. Personal view point. I wouldn't think it was on for a parent to turn around and ask someone behind them to watch their language. I wouldn't do it myself. I would probably move seats and if that wasn't possible I would simply go do something kid friendly :)

I am a bit sexiest with it. Always saw it as a farther and son rights of passage thing... I think I get a bit more concerned with the idea of my daughter going "ffs Dickov you cock! Get him off the park" LMAO :)

*not for a second am I making any judgements about you taking your daughter. Just talking totally from my own :censored:ed up mindset!

Edited by oafc0000

I am old school... Its the football... Pretty much anything goes :)

The way I view it personally is you are entering an adult environment and the behaviour will be as such. Those entering with children do so at their own risk. Personal view point. I wouldn't think it was on for a parent to turn around and ask someone behind them to watch their language. I wouldn't do it myself. I would probably move seats and if that wasn't possible I would simply go do something kid friendly :)

I am a bit sexiest with it. Always saw it as a farther and son rights of passage thing... I think I get a bit more concerned with the idea of my daughter going "ffs Dickov you cock! Get him off the park" LMAO :)

*not for a second am I making any judgements about you taking your daughter. Just talking totally from my own :censored:ed up mindset!

Would you have the same hesitation with taking your child to a Rugby League match at the Haliwell Jones stadium?

Would you have the same hesitation with taking your child to a Rugby League match at the Haliwell Jones stadium?

Yes / No....

Yes... I know Rugby League has suffered a degradation in the standard of behaviour in the crowds...

No... I remember going watching the Bears and it never being as bad...

Basically I would like to attend a game first before making a decision. Can you believe I haven't actually been to a game yet since moving there! They have been on fire as well!

Agree but there have been a couple of recentish efforts such as

The Will Haining Song

The Lee Hughes wherever you may be

Chris O'Grady Budweidser ad effort

and of course the Ohh Chrissy Taylor

be nice if we could come up with a few unique songs instead of simply copying Premier League ditties

Recent away games a small number have bee doing that on Saturday away at Exeter a few other fans started singing so far wer have tried to get a Kuqi song, Wesolowski and one was started about Diallo. There is the Matty Smith one also.