My 25 years a Latics Fan Part I

Bloody long but bloody good. Lots there to get the memory banks going and I still have the Oldham Chron & MEN reports from 86 to 90 in scrapbooks that I kept at the time.

I notice you don't reference the inaugural play-off defeat in 86/87 where we had finished third which, in any other season, would have taken us up but instead, we were condemned to conceding two late goals in each of the play off legs v Leeds. The second of these was just tragic with Cecere seemingly clutching the tie for us with a few minutes to go before Keith Edwards wrote a million 'Tears For Souvenirs' headlines. With you being a newer/ younger fan, was this out of your emotional awareness zone at the time or does it still hurt too much?

Bloody long but bloody good. Lots there to get the memory banks going and I still have the Oldham Chron & MEN reports from 86 to 90 in scrapbooks that I kept at the time.

I notice you don't reference the inaugural play-off defeat in 86/87 where we had finished third which, in any other season, would have taken us up but instead, we were condemned to conceding two late goals in each of the play off legs v Leeds. The second of these was just tragic with Cecere seemingly clutching the tie for us with a few minutes to go before Keith Edwards wrote a million 'Tears For Souvenirs' headlines. With you being a newer/ younger fan, was this out of your emotional awareness zone at the time or does it still hurt too much?

The magnitude and injustice only really hit a couple of years later, I was gutted but I was 10 at the time yet 7 years later at Wembley exacerbated that feeling by about a million as Hughes volley hit the net….(More of that to follow in part II though….) :wink:

Great read Prozac and brought back some amazing memories

We obviously started watching Latics at approx the same time (the same season, got my first season tkt the season after) and the only game I didn’t go to that you mention was the Huddersfield match at Leeds Rd.

I remember everything you describe about those games and it’s amazing what stays with you as you get older, the feelings, the excitement, the smells everything!!

Tommy Wright was my absolute hero at the time as well

I’ve been going every season since and I seem to remember small details up to about 94/95 and after that for some reason I don’t remember results, most individual games and some players (all be it poor ones we must have loaned) for that matter even though I attended home and away

Why I cant remember I don’t know - I still love the club and still get excited every Saturday like I did as a kid in anticipation of the game and another win

the only difference being if we get beat it does not ruin my day/weekend

the first few years watching Latics will be burned in my memory for ever and I hope future Latics fans will get to see something similar again at Boundary Park

Cant wait for tomorrow now

That first FA cup semi was a magnificent match, I have tried countless times to find highlights on Youtube but can't find it, anyone else tried?

just the replay unfortunatly but the goals from the first amongst others are in the vid below

appreciated lads, happy days.

Looking forward i don't think we are too far from being a decent outfit again at this level.

More of the same please prozac

Part II coming along nicely….get tomorrow's game out of the way first unless I get chance after tonight's firework festivities)

Great stuff .... some terrific games .

My thoughts

1987 , Neil Adams was a fantastic player for us , but after we bought him I did wonder how on earth this little chap put us out of the League Cup with a header.

1988, The Bank holiday at City was a surreal day we could have had 10. But in the end they got promoted & we didn't win away again for 6 months .

The defeat to Everton in League Cup. I remember leaving the game for the first ever thinking we could now beat good teams & would do. Yew we lost 2-0 , but for 85 minutes we had battered Everton.

1990 I hated losing the League Cup final , I didn't care it was a great day for the club & the weather was fantastic. I think the weather lost us the game , very hard for out midfield yard dogs to stop Forest on a big pitch in a heatwave.

Amazed you didn't have the 2-2 draw at Sheff Wed in 1989/90 down.

2-0 up at half time as Wednesday hit our woodwork 5 times, with Warhurst's pace at full back destroying them.. 2 Sheridan penalties giving the a draw.

Top thread.

Interesting read as always when Mr P talks about the glory days especially the ones I can remember 1990 onwards.

Interesting that 1990 was the first year both FA cup semi finals had been televised arguably we were part of the 1st ever super sunday? With the Palace and Liverpool game earlier, and our game against Man U producing 13 goals I doubt their has ever been a more entertaining day of FA cup semi finals. Perhaps I'm over selling this a bit but it showed how football could reach a larger audience and paved the way for the TV revolution.

Interesting read as always when Mr P talks about the glory days especially the ones I can remember 1990 onwards.

Interesting that 1990 was the first year both FA cup semi finals had been televised arguably we were part of the 1st ever super sunday? With the Palace and Liverpool game earlier, and our game against Man U producing 13 goals I doubt their has ever been a more entertaining day of FA cup semi finals. Perhaps I'm over selling this a bit but it showed how football could reach a larger audience and paved the way for the TV revolution.

FA Cup games from the third round onwards had been televised by the BBC from the 88/89 (after ITV won the First Division rights), but in '89 the plan was still to show highlights of the Liverpool v Forest and Everton v Norwich Semis as they had done for years. When the Liverpool game was finally replayed it was shown live from Old Trafford. The BBC then from '90 showed both games on the same day live until SKY got involved a couple of years later and the games were split (one on Sky, one on the BBC) I think it started in '94 with us on the BBC and Chelsea v Luton a Saturday tea-time kick off on Sky.

"……what an unbelievable day this is…" Barry Davies as Ian Marshall celebrates sliding on his arse after volleying is level at 2-2

"…..and Palmer's free far siiiiiddddeeee…….it's all square again…..!!!!!" Barry Davies after 'The Dodger' makes it 3-3

Perhaps I'm over selling this a bit

Not overselling it.

First time both semis shown live one after another , because of the tragdey at Hillsborough, finishing 4-3 and 3-3 ...incredible.

Still remember walking to Miane Road as a coach of United fans came past. Their game was 3-3 in extra time time. The coach erupted in celebration ..... I didn't think it was Liverpool that had scored. :grin:

I got on the coach back after the replay & could not physically speak , never felt as bad at a football game in all the years of going(and that includes Keith Edwards winner in the playoffs).

Perhaps I'm over selling this a bit

Not overselling it.

First time both semis shown live one after another , because of the tragdey at Hillsborough, finishing 4-3 and 3-3 ...incredible.

Still remember walking to Miane Road as a coach of United fans came past. Their game was 3-3 in extra time time. The coach erupted in celebration ..... I didn't think it was Liverpool that had scored. :grin:

I got on the coach back after the replay & could not physically speak , never felt as bad at a football game in all the years of going(and that includes Keith Edwards winner in the playoffs).

That's how I felt on the way back from Wembley, four years later….

The 1-1 draw at Everton in the cup replay was an amazing night.

Nearly all their team booked & Whiteside sent off as they tried to literally kick a lower division team off the pitch ...what a tribute to our team.

The directors tossed a coin for game 3 ......the roar as we got them back to BP was awesome ...where we hammered them.

The 1-1 draw at Everton in the cup replay was an amazing night.

Nearly all their team booked & Whiteside sent off as they tried to literally kick a lower division team off the pitch ...what a tribute to our team.

The directors tossed a coin for game 3 ......the roar as we got them back to BP was awesome ...where we hammered them.

Future Chairman David Brierley won the coin-toss, back at BP they were 1-0 up and in control until McDonald's back-pass resulted in Palmer's two-footed lunge knocking the ball through Southall's legs. I can't see how that would be allowed today! The game went into extra-time with McDonald giving away a Penalty and Marshall converting to finally settle the tie. The original date for the replay had been earlier that week but the game was postponed due to storm damage.

As for the first replay, yes if it moved Everton kicked at it but we had strong characters in there that could give as good as they got like Holden R, Milligan, Henry, Marshall, Warhurst and Barrett. Stitch could dish it out too.

And Neil McDonald our generous benefactor that afternoon…? Couldn't believe it when Royle paid half a million for him 18 months later. although to be fair the lad never got a proper run, and when he did in early '94 we won four on the trot before Royle dropped him…uncle Joe was hard to fathom sometimes.

Edited by oafcprozac

The one player I did not want to buy off Everton was McDonald .

I could have gone to see Nirvana when we lost 2-0 at OT in the League Cup ....his performance that night was .......

Is my mind playnig tricks or did he score that goal against West Ham when the ball was put out of play for an injury , we took the throw in quickly & he walloped it in ....they weren't impressed.

The one player I did not want to buy off Everton was McDonald .

I could have gone to see Nirvana when we lost 2-0 at OT in the League Cup ....his performance that night was .......

Is my mind playnig tricks or did he score that goal against West Ham when the ball was put out of play for an injury , we took the throw in quickly & he walloped it in ....they weren't impressed.

Yes it was McDonald in a 2-2 draw...

• 3 weeks later...

... we were drawn against Arsenal at home again in the League Cup, Arsenal were not the team they were, within months George Graham would be sacked and Nayim would embarrass David Seaman from the halfway line in the Cup Winners Cup Final. Yet on that night a struggling Latics team managed a draw, before the game I felt if we could beat the Gunners as we had five years earlier, maybe the good times would be around the corner. Instead it was a turgid 0-0 with few chances and reality bit that times had changed for the worst. By the time the replay came round Joe Royle was absent in talks with Everton and the team were sunk by a brace from current manager Paul Dickov, a youngster making the breakthrough at Highbury.

gun__1244036953_dickov_paul.jpg