November 20th 1971

Just noticed this article on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15776021.stm and it brings back incredible memories. I was 13 and it was the first time I'd been allowed to go to an away game on my own. I went on a Yelloways bus from the middle of Oldham (Yorkshire Street?). We lived in Ashton so I had to get a 409 (No.9?)bus first. We got battered 3-0 and if I remember correctly Maurice Whittle missed a penalty (might be mixing that up with a 1-0 defeat there in the League) but that turned out to be the best part of the day. As we set off back it started to snow gently. I'm pretty sure in those days we came back through Buxton (again may be wrong). The snow got heavier and I remember us trying to get up a bloody steep hill in blizzard conditions and failing miserably with the coach sliding all over the place. In the end the driver gave up and we all found a cafe where I spent the 5 bob my mum had given me in case of emergency, on pudding chips peas, crisps, kit kats,cans of pop and the juke box. (It was later pointed out to me that the first thing I should have done was to use the emergency money to phone home to let them know I was OK, but I knew I was fine so why bother? The telly was on in the cafe and I remember us all being gobsmacked that Super Mac had scored nine - we knew who he was even if the rest of the football world didn't. We then went outside and spent a pleasant hour pushing cars up the hill before the council came and gritted / ploughed it and we set off for home. We arrived back in Oldham about 11.30 and I rang my Aunty (we had no phone) to ask my dad to come and pick me up (we had no car so he had to borrow my cousin's mini).I was slightly surprised at the rather frosty reception I got off my dad but this was nothing compared to what I got off my mum when we got home. She went absolutely mental. Having being expected home by 8pm at the latest, she had decided her only child was in a ditch somewhere and her relief was not going to be displayed by a hug and 'glad you're safe son, sorry they lost', but but by having my arse kicked all around the house. Fortunately I got away with a ban for the rest of the season(reduced to 3 games on appeal) and enjoyed the delights of our first season back in the Third Division. Strange it was Chesterfield again yesterday 40 years later, long time for revenge!

Happy days!

Edited by astottie

Just noticed this article on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15776021.stm and it brings back incredible memories. I was 13 and it was the first time I'd been allowed to go to an away game on my own. I went on a Yelloways bus from the middle of Oldham (Yorkshire Street?). We lived in Ashton so I had to get a 409 (No.9?)bus first. We got battered 3-0 and if I remember correctly Maurice Whittle missed a penalty (might be mixing that up with a 1-0 defeat there in the League) but that turned out to be the best part of the day. As we set off back it started to snow gently. I'm pretty sure in those days we came back through Buxton (again may be wrong). The snow got heavier and I remember us trying to get up a bloody steep hill in blizzard conditions and failing miserably with the coach sliding all over the place. In the end the driver gave up and we all found a cafe where I spent the 5 bob my mum had given me in case of emergency, on pudding chips peas, crisps, kit kats,cans of pop and the juke box. (It was later pointed out to me that the first thing I should have done was to use the emergency money to phone home to let them know I was OK, but I knew I was fine so why bother? The telly was on in the cafe and I remember us all being gobsmacked that Super Mac had scored nine - we knew who he was even if the rest of the football world didn't. We then went outside and spent a pleasant hour pushing cars up the hill before the council came and gritted / ploughed it and we set off for home. We arrived back in Oldham about 11.30 and I rang my Aunty (we had no phone) to ask my dad to come and pick me up (we had no car so he had to borrow my cousin's mini).I was slightly surprised at the rather frosty reception I got off my dad but this was nothing compared to what I got off my mum when we got home. She went absolutely mental. Having being expected home by 8pm at the latest, she had decided her only child was in a ditch somewhere and her relief was not going to be displayed by a hug and 'glad you're safe son, sorry they lost', but but by having my arse kicked all around the house. Fortunately I got away with a ban for the rest of the season(reduced to 3 games on appeal) and enjoyed the delights of our first season back in the Third Division. Strange it was Chesterfield again yesterday 40 years later, long time for revenge!

Happy days!

I was at that match, I remember Kevin Randall the Chesterfield centre forward who was an old school classmate of mine terrorising the Latics defence, I didn't get home while after midnight too.

I was also on a Yelloway's coach that day,we got up the hill by all moving to the back of the coach and jumping up and down. I was grounded for a week for being 2 hours late home.

" you try telling the kids today a story like that and you know what" ?

" they wont believe ya "

i was on a barlows coach which got stuck at buxton.my mum had prepared a meal in estimated time back.my dad didnt beleive me until he read the sunday paper.however what has not been mentioned,latics forgot to load their boots onto the team bus.they had to beg .steal and borrow boots of chesterfield reserve players.happy memoires-not.