Dickov 8/1 for PNE job

I don't know if this has sneeked under the radar with the Liverpool excitement. The PNE fans are throwing Dickov's name about as someone who fits the bill. I personally don't believe PNE will be willing to pay compensation given their financial position, but it shows the good work has not gone unnoticed.

I don't think the compensation would be huge in terms of PNE's overall situation.

Slight concern about Ridsdale having sniffed around at BP earlier in the year where Corney will no doubt have discussed his manager's enthusiasm and commitment.

8/1 probably a fair price in a market with lots of other potential candidates.

I don't think the compensation would be huge in terms of PNE's overall situation.

Slight concern about Ridsdale having sniffed around at BP earlier in the year where Corney will no doubt have discussed his manager's enthusiasm and commitment.

8/1 probably a fair price in a market with lots of other potential candidates.

this is precisely why i believe we should be tying him down to a proper contract. just to add tho, comparing the two clubs,would he want to leave? yes obviously they are much bigger, have bigger budgets etc, but in the short term latics are much more attractive. anfield day out, possible trip to wembley, a team he can realistically call his own and the full support of everyone at the club. if he wants to leave he could leave in the summer after possibly winning something.

i must add i dont think he would want the preston job and will look to finish his work here for this season as a minimum. think he willbe around for much longer yet, and when he does leave it will be for more glamourous shores than preston.

Edited by philliggi

this is precisely why i believe we should be tying him down to a proper contract. just to add tho, comparing the two clubs,would he want to leave? yes obviously they are much bigger, have bigger budgets etc, but in the short term latics are much more attractive. anfield day out, possible trip to wembley, a team he can realistically call his own and the full support of everyone at the club. if he wants to leave he could leave in the summer after possibly winning something.

i must add i dont think he would want the preston job and will look to finish his work here for this season as a minimum. think he willbe around for much longer yet, and when he does leave it will be for more glamourous shores than preston.

Agree with this. Sometimes it's in the best interests of the manager to take their chance at a higher level on the back of short term success but in Dickov's case I think another 18 months with us could work wonders for him. He's already learned a lot, faced and overcame challenges like last years winless streak and summer rebuilding and has the respect and belief of his chairman. Failure with us wouldn't be too damaging but success would be massive for his reputation. Luckily I'm sure he has the confidence in his own ability to know that a long career in management is likely so he'll be patient and recognise the good situation that he has here.

Not wishing to undermine what Dickov has achieved, but when all is said and done this season we have beaten a handful of second division teams and not ashamed ourselves against anybody higher than us in the league.

It's not exactly earth shattering.

Yet.

Agreed, but If you were in dickov's shoes who would you rather manage at this precise moment? blue tinted specs aside? I have no doubt dickov will still be with us for a while yet. 2 games against the bottom of the league is all that stands between us and wembley. I very much doubt dickov will let the team relax because of chesterfields league status and i rmain quite confident ill be walking up wembley way in the near future

Think they'll have their sights set a little higher than Dickov. He's still making his bones as a League One manager, a couple of cup runs gloss over what has been a rather inconsistent league campaign thus far. Although I'm happy on all fronts as we were never gonna push for promotion tbh.

They'll be looking at Sean O'Driscoll, someone of that ilk.

I dont think Dickov would be in the least bit interested at the moment!

He has his eyes set on Liverpool in the FA Cup 3rd round, and although against the odds if he was to get a cup upset he would be in the spotlight and could attract jobs much bigger than PNE.

He also has a potential trip to Wembley which would look very good on his CV given our budget!

Also with the fact he would be working for the infamous Ridsdale, it would be managerial suicide IMO!!!

The better facilities and bigger potential may be tempting but I don't see him leaving just yet. Strikes me as loyal to his players and the board who have supported him through his first months in management - giving him space to learn from his mistakes. Certainly wouldn't blame him for leaving for a biggish Championship club but Preston? Nah!

Just can't see it at the moment. If we had been knocked out of all cup competitions and were in same position in the league, then maybe. But even as a manager, he has a hell of alot more to look forward to here this season than he will have at Preston, where there will be a firm expectation of promotion next season for whoever is in charge if it is not achieved this year.

In a nutshell, its the wrong job for him at the wrong time.