Match thread

I think Adeyami will still be here, Scapuzzi will be gone.

Can we have Black at left-back, please, and Lee back where he belongs.

We have enough quality in the team to overturn the deficit and more...Tommy Lee played a blinder, tonight, and the added spice of ex-manager/players made the game's outcome unpredictable. Dickov needs to get it into the players' heads that we have to go hell for leather in the return leg...we are 1-2 down and it is a one-off occasion, we have nothing to lose.

Personally, I think Simpson is going to be the deciding factor in the return leg.

Best player we have had for a long, long time.

Not sure with Scapuzzi. He's been good in spells during games, but not the majority of the time. He has all the good control and quick feet with the ball.. But does go missing alot, but like Morais he has the ability to do the unexpected.. Don't think a championship club will be in for him yet on loan, he won't be played at City.. If Dickov wants him then think we could get him until end of season.. But then again another League one club may come calling..

We defo have quality to win by 2 or against them and Reid will offer us a different option aswell. Also think Parker has alot more to offer upfront than out on the wing..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fookin' ell!!

You know, half the problem is negativity!!

Chesterfield are a single goal to the good...fair enough, if they score first, then it will be tough...but if we score first, then game-on!

"convinced ourselves that we are better than we are"...we have a decent squad, considering how crap the budget is...much better than our current position shows and we need to give PD lots of time to get things right.

I don't think my post was negative per se, I think PD should be given 5 years. My point was that we have got a little carried away because of the JPT run and the luck of the draw v Liverpool....ask yourself if you would have felt the same about things if we had drawn Dagenham in the 3rd round!

My point is we are a work in progress and the JP final offers us a chance for a massive boost....I just hope the players grasp it n the 2nd leg

I don't think my post was negative per se, I think PD should be given 5 years. My point was that we have got a little carried away because of the JPT run and the luck of the draw v Liverpool....ask yourself if you would have felt the same about things if we had drawn Dagenham in the 3rd round!

My point is we are a work in progress and the JP final offers us a chance for a massive boost....I just hope the players grasp it n the 2nd leg

Not many managers get 5 years now.. Roberto Martinez said in an interview that it's usually 3 year plan discussed, but that's him, but guessing that it's around that now for most managers when talking to chairman.. But you'll still get sacked 6 months in if you got rubbish results.

I'll be surprised if PD is still here in another 3 seasons!

I too hope the players realise they will have fewr opportunities of going to Wembley & even less of winning a tournament at the national stadium.

In addition , the sheer level of letting the loyal fans down , who have little to celebrate in years .

They had better crawl of that pitch in exhaustion a week on Monday if we are not in the final.

On reflection I'd have said a draw was the fairer result, our penalty was nailed on, their's looked like a trip from the other end but if Lee was fouled prior I didn't notice but it is plausible.

Kuqi sent the keeper the wrong way for the penalty but hit it too hard and it rattled the cross bar.

Smith and Morais looked dangerous again when they were bought on, their goalie made a few good saves but a lot of the time our shots were being blocked by a defender and were like back passes when it reached Lee.

Simpson's goal is a cracker I was right behind it and it seemed to swerve both ways, initially going from right to left before fading left to right and dipped.

Tarky played well for the last 85 minutes but "apparently" made a few mistakes in the first 5. He's a more than capable defender at this level but to have no recognised CB on the bench was a worry and if Diamond isn't fit for the next game, which is a definite possibility, then I expect PD to bring in a CB on loan.

Unfortunately the player who won the game was Casper- he was everywhere good for them from the second half starting to going off (I'm not sure why Shez took him off).

It was fairly obvious why they've been doing better since we battered them- they got a new CB and some new defenders, the one they signed yesterday played well, and some better quality in midfield. IIRC Allott was their best player at BP, he was only good enough for a token time wasting last two minutes tonight.

One thing I would like to see from Oldham fans for the next games is to actually get behind ALL the team, I heard various derogatory comments towards Kuqi, Taylor, Parker, Scapuzzi, Adeyemi and Morais, yes perhaps they aren't playing at the level they can but their own fans calling them :censored: won't help, especially when the fans are probably wrong.

In the end we should have won the game.

Our defence consisted of a right back playing left back, a striker / winger playing full back and centre half just out of nappies.

We were missing our skipper and we missed a host of chances including a penalty.

It means we've got a big job to do in the second leg but we will be playing a side that were keeping the ball in the corner flag less than half way through the tie. It's up to us to get at them and keep them under pressure.

Whatever the outcome, at some point between now and the start of next season we desperately need a left back who is competent in the position. Lee, Mellor and Black don't look comfortable there and we were exposed too many times. Additionally we lost everything that Lee provides attacking wise down the right flank because he's playing out of position.

Disappointed. But possibly a reality check and kick up the arse that we needed.

In the end we should have won the game.

Our defence consisted of a right back playing left back, a striker / winger playing full back and centre half just out of nappies.

We were missing our skipper and we missed a host of chances including a penalty.

It means we've got a big job to do in the second leg but we will be playing a side that were keeping the ball in the corner flag less than half way through the tie. It's up to us to get at them and keep them under pressure.

Whatever the outcome, at some point between now and the start of next season we desperately need a left back who is competent in the position. Lee, Mellor and Black don't look comfortable there and we were exposed too many times. Additionally we lost everything that Lee provides attacking wise down the right flank because he's playing out of position.

Disappointed. But possibly a reality check and kick up the arse that we needed.

It could be argued that our first choice LB is out injured- Diallo. He is probably our best all round LB in the squad.

It could be argued that our first choice LB is out injured- Diallo. He is probably our best all round LB in the squad.

I've seen him play for 75 minutes.

He looked good.

If he's the man for the job, great. I think his contract runs out this month and he's unfit though.

I've seen him play for 75 minutes.

He looked good.

If he's the man for the job, great. I think his contract runs out this month and he's unfit though.

Yeah, although I don't know how bad his injury is I'd give him another 6 months. If he only plays in a handful of first team games in that time I wouldn't offer him another contract in the summer. Unless there are good LBs knocking around on loan I doubt we will be able to get someone better in this window, in the summer, however, I think we might find one who is as good but is less injury prone/unlucky.

Kieron Lee at right back would be a huge boost for us and him.

just got back,we was effin toss 2night from start to finish,we got played off the park by a team bottom and so low it was a joke,just feel sorry for some of my mates who have booked the train an hotels allready at wembly,glad the 2nd leg is on sky so i can pull back some of my money i lost tonight,half day off,minibus,match tick,should of known better followin this :censored:e for the last 25years,,to be let down when expected a easy passage.......................

Edited by oafc21

glad the 2nd leg is on sky so i can pull back some of my money i lost tonight

Bit of a :censored:ty approach when a crowd behind the team could be the difference between getting to Wembley and failing.

Look at the back 4 we had to select and the loss of the captain.

Then count the chances and near misses, throw in the red card they didn't get and the (apparently) iffy penalty they did get.

I thought we were poor first half and drew it. I thought we were decent second half and lost it. That's the way it goes sometimes.

But Jesus - not going when your side is a couple of goals of a Wembley final? Odd.

Bit of a :censored:ty approach when a crowd behind the team could be the difference between getting to Wembley and failing.

Look at the back 4 we had to select and the loss of the captain.

Then count the chances and near misses, throw in the red card they didn't get and the (apparently) iffy penalty they did get.

I thought we were poor first half and drew it. I thought we were decent second half and lost it. That's the way it goes sometimes.

But Jesus - not going when your side is a couple of goals of a Wembley final? Odd.

we was :censored:e against a team who aint won for 18 games, bottom of the league, and made us look average if that.......

we was :censored:e against a team who aint won for 18 games, bottom of the league, and made us look average if that.......

Its actually 17 league games we have not won for. Think you are being a little hard on your team as it could have gone either way. But you're right to stay away for the next leg as we will have another 3 players in by then including a striker and pacey winger.

Its actually 17 league games we have not won for. Think you are being a little hard on your team as it could have gone either way. But you're right to stay away for the next leg as we will have another 3 players in by then including a striker and pacey winger.

Be it 17 or 18 league games without a win I think the point

oafc21 is making is against a team with that record anyone from this division would be disappointed not to

come away with a victory.

Personally,to be going into the home leg of a two-legged tie with only a goal deficit is a result in my eyes,even if it is

only against Chesterfield.

<br />just got back,we was effin toss 2night from start to finish,we got played off the park by a team bottom and so low it was a joke,just feel sorry for some of my mates who have booked the train an hotels allready at wembly,glad the 2nd leg is on sky so i can pull back some of my money i lost tonight,half day off,minibus,match tick,should of known better followin this :censored:e for the last 25years,,to be let down when expected a easy passage.......................<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Would you leave a game at half time if we were a goal behind?????

We had loads of chances tonight, Chesterfield flung bodies in the way of everything. Early doors we made them look amazing but we did enough to win it. On another night the pen is tucked away and one of the many other chances is slotted. The good thing is we have the opportunity to put it right at Boundary Park but the excuse has already been presented to the fans which cant be arsed.

I honestly don't think that they want us to get better players and go up as that means having to find more excuses to get our opf their Saturday routines. I wouldn't preach to people who choose to spend their hard earned as they wish, it is a free world and it is their perogative. What does stick however is the ease in which they find reason not to come.