Not like Oldham to give up...

FTFY

The age old saying of 'you can't polish a turd' has never been more true. It needs rebuilding, not redeveloping

Agreed, I'm not one to let nostalgia stand in the way of progress but unfortunately it seems we've got what we've got.

Agreed, I'm not one to let nostalgia stand in the way of progress but unfortunately it seems we've got what we've got.

Agreed re the nostalgia but what I was getting at was more the 'papering over the cracks' approach as opposed to the doing the job properly approach.

Even if it is stand by stand, flatten and rebuild each one.

Totally concur.

It's cheaper to do so in a lot of cases anyway, depending on what facilities we wanted in order to attract non-football visitors rather than trying to engineer them into old stands.

I know we are not ideally located in terms of attracting visitors and support, with a number of local Premier League clubs but there's still decent weekday revenue to be had.

People are always complaining in Chron comments about the town having no cinema and bowling alley. I'm not suggesting we turn the place into the Oldham Athletic Amusement Park (that happens to have a bit of grass attached) but with limited attractions in the town we could play it up if it was built right.

All boils down to money we don't have though doesn't it.

Sorry I was allowing myself to pipe-dream there. One day!

Knowing the situation with Furman and Weso then PD should have brought in an experienced midfielder on loan by now.

Filling it with fairies only had one outcome and today was that.

We were just very fortunate that Walsall were so poor on Tuesday but the writing was on the wall well before then , a good side will exploit it and thrash us ,

With tough away games still to come we must sort it out this week otherwise a huge relegation battle looms.

Boils down to the clueless, indept and total lack of business nounce of our so called execuitves back in the early 90's.

No vision whatsover, mainly worried about the kick back made on the merchandise sold during the glory years.

What really fooks me off is that this was the only time to harness the crowds and get the stadium re-devloped. Some people think the past servents cant be touched, the retired execs should take a good look at em selves, they have slowly let the club die through lack of vision and commercial kudos.

Im really worried about the club.

Excellent post lukers,and part of the reason i NEVER liked alan hardy amongst others.When i look back on what we had in 89/90/91 and forward 5 years to 96 it really gets under my skin.

Where did the cream of oldham athletic go? AND more to the point,where did all the money go.

despite what i think of the 3 amigos,PD and the current state of our dying club,its not a patch on my opinion of the vultures back then.

Totally concur.

It's cheaper to do so in a lot of cases anyway, depending on what facilities we wanted in order to attract non-football visitors rather than trying to engineer them into old stands.

I know we are not ideally located in terms of attracting visitors and support, with a number of local Premier League clubs but there's still decent weekday revenue to be had.

People are always complaining in Chron comments about the town having no cinema and bowling alley. I'm not suggesting we turn the place into the Oldham Athletic Amusement Park (that happens to have a bit of grass attached) but with limited attractions in the town we could play it up if it was built right.

All boils down to money we don't have though doesn't it.

Sorry I was allowing myself to pipe-dream there. One day!

There's enough comedy as it is from Latics defence :grin:

Excellent post lukers,and part of the reason i NEVER liked alan hardy amongst others.When i look back on what we had in 89/90/91 and forward 5 years to 96 it really gets under my skin.

Where did the cream of oldham athletic go? AND more to the point,where did all the money go.

despite what i think of the 3 amigos,PD and the current state of our dying club,its not a patch on my opinion of the vultures back then.

=========

Problem was then we had a premier football team with a non league minded board.

Had we SC in those days i reckon we would still be a championship side now at worst.

I moaned at the time that when the premier league was formed teams like WHU , Newcastle , Bolton etc etc (all finished below us in 91) went out and sold the club to potential investors and improved their teams / stadiums.

Whilst our small minded board just had the opinon , "Never thought we would ever get this high so lets enjoy it whilst it lasts"

Naturally it didn't last and once on that slippery slope of cost cutting the inevitable slide down the league began along with the decaying stadium.

Unfortunately we now have only 2 options left , pray that PD can ultimately do a Joe and work a miracle to get us out of this league or we find the lost Arab oil magnate who has more money than sense.

IF neither of these options come about then the best we can hope for is survival as a FL club albeit in league 2.

I just can't see any other options because who in their right minds is going to invest in a club based probably in the poorest town in the NW and a diminishing support.

Oldham is not just a problem about the football team it's about the town as well and until some signs of improvement are taking place at town / council level then potential investors will look elsewhere.

In a few years time both Latics and Rochdale will be looking at Bury and wondering how they can do it . Not only is the town progressing at a rate of knots faster than the others ,this will ultimately reflect in investment for the football team.

Regretably i don't know what the answer is but having supported Latics for 50 years + i have never felt more depressed about our future than now.

(and that includes the 60s when we had to apply for re-election) :(

Think your pretty much bang on with that losesome.

Whilst I think most on here are in agreement that some(cant stress that word enough) of those responsible for the off field running of the club over the past 20 years have been responsible for gross mismanagement, sheer incompetence and a complete lack of foresight and vision, which is partially to blame for where the club is now. Whilst there have also been the odd pretty disastrous managerial appointments (Penney being the biggest one imo), that happens at the best of clubs.

Throw that in with several golden opportunities of success on the playing side that have been thrown away, a succession of OMBC administrations that have a combined IQ lower than Sid the sloth & about as much vision as a blindfolded Stevie Wonder, a segment of Oldhamers who seem intent on putting nostalgia before progress, and as losesome implied, a town that even before the recession, wasn't the most well of to begin with, but currently on the bare bones of its arse and in my opinion, fast approaching the point of no return, and it leads to what we have at the moment at Latics. A football club currently competing in League 1 with non league facilities and at present,League 2 crowds and still falling as shown here.

Average attendances

2008/2009: 5636

2009/2010: 4630

2010/2011: 4392

2011/2012: 4732 after 12 games, but a few more sub 3000 attendances could easily put this down.

I think the key difference for me was two years ago, whilst not without questions and concerns, I was looking forward to the prospect of playing at a new stadium and a fresh start for the club, putting the nostalgia to bed and moving forward. This is something what I don't think a 'redevelopment' of Boundary Park can offer.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

FTFY

The age old saying of 'you can't polish a turd' has never been more true. It needs rebuilding, not redeveloping

Am I wrong to read a 'staying at BP isn't an option' undertone into this? It's not really much of an argument. One stand is gone and, in theory, will be rebuilt. I suspect the same is planned for the remainder of the ground in time (i.e. long after we're all dead and gone).

Am I wrong to read a 'staying at BP isn't an option' undertone into this? It's not really much of an argument. One stand is gone and, in theory, will be rebuilt. I suspect the same is planned for the remainder of the ground in time (i.e. long after we're all dead and gone).

Yes and no. Whilst i make no secret that I would have rather seen the club move to a new stadium elsewhere, the point I was getting at was simply 'doing the stands up' wont be suffice. E.g. 'put a new roof on t'chaddy' attitude and it will be reet. If they are going to stay at Boundary Park, at least do things properly and look at building four brand new stands, rather than one new one and giving the other two a quick lick of paint.

The problem with regenerating BP is that even IF finance is somehow found there is never any money left for team building.

Moving to Failsworth or anywhere else by selling BP would have enabled finance for the new stadium and something left over for a transfer kitty.

A new stadium will bring in a few new punters but ultimately it is the teams performance that will bring in significant new fans.

Redeveloping BP will not raise the finance for new players !!!!

Facts have to be faced and as Lookers said we are a team currently punching above our weight with a league 2 budget and non league ground , inevitably time will catch up and we will end up where our budget dictates.

Unfortunatley it's the way football is going and more and more league positions are more closely linked with finance.

Oldham isn't the only town on the bare bones of its arse that's for sure, nor is Oldham Athletic the only football club falling from grace, but that does not excuse the failings within the club that are partially to blame for where the club is now, nor does it mean they should be accepted.

The angle I was getting at was if the on the cheap approach is taken, as it quite often does, when it comes to the main stand and chaddy end, the club could just as easilly find itself in the same position fifteen years down the line re high maintenance costs.

I don't see rebuilding boundary park as a 'redevelopment', rather a new stadium on the same site done stand by stand. To me a redevelopment is improving the existing infastructure, ie new roof, maybe new seats and a few new facilities, but same foundations.