Tarkowski

they love it . Look at how we have slowly whittled Taylor down to be half the player he was 4 years ago

Less of the we - there is a minority (at every club) who will always look for the negative - they are entitled to their opinion but the majority can see that players like Tarkowski have potential and that Taylor (although not performing to the level that he could) is still a decent player at this level.

:wink:

As well as above average ability Tarkowski has the heart of a lion, that will make him a big attraction for higher clubs.

He has his faults such as being caught out on the turn, but with experience he will learn how to minimise the slight defects in his game.

I hope he stays at the Latics though, he's a future captain who a team could be built around.

* I agree with Sly in there's been plenty of great centre backs who could not be considered quick - Bobby Moore being a prime example, if Tarky can develop some of the nous he had the sky's the limit.

Edited by BP1960

I for one would be highly surprised if he doesn't turn out to be the best central defender ever.... I also think that he perhaps could be an international class striker and goalie to.

But if he doesn't, hey ho, cest la vie!!!

Wow...as good as Jim Bowie (who I believe actually played centre forward and in goal while at the Latics).

I said on Tuesday night Tarky is a future captain a young kid able to orgainse the defence like he does, and when he makes a mistake he is quick to bounce back even after moaning at himself. In fact their are times when he has done little wrong and he still isn't happy with himself, the mark of a true pro. Also comes across as a good lad, hope he will be here for a while but a potential Prem player-no doubt for me about that.

* I agree with Sly in there's been plenty of great centre backs who could not be considered quick - Bobby Moore being a prime example, if Tarky can develop some of the nous he had the sky's the limit.

Correct. The secret to being a quality defender is up there *taps temple*. Anticipating and reacting to danger early doors and you're either born with that instinct or not. I think he's slotted in nicely at the back and I'd already rate him as better than Nathan Clarke who you'd class as an established defender at this level.

Over the next two or three years he'll develop and gain physical strength. We'll have sold him well before then though, sadly.

Correct. The secret to being a quality defender is up there *taps temple*. Anticipating and reacting to danger early doors and you're either born with that instinct or not. I think he's slotted in nicely at the back and I'd already rate him as better than Nathan Clarke who you'd class as an established defender at this level.

Over the next two or three years he'll develop and gain physical strength. We'll have sold him well before then though, sadly.

Thats the problem with a lot of our fans though. They never watch the youth team. I saw several games last season in the youth cup.

If you had been at Bury in the early round, Tarky, shall we say, started slow and in the 1st 10 minutes he looked cumbersome to say the least. But once his early jitters settled down he dominated the game. That sums up young players. With experience they grow into the role.

His debut against Brentford last season showed the potential he had and now he is starting to develop that potential. The trick is PD knowing when to give him the "rest" that he will obviously need after a rum of games so that the little errors that inevitably creep in to a young players game don't take down his confidence and affect his development.

When the gaffer does leave him out, if donn at the right time, it shouldn't be seen as a critisism. Nor shuld we be jumping up and down saying that PD has dropped him when he was playing well. It will be done for his and the clubs benefit.

Wow...as good as Jim Bowie (who I believe actually played centre forward and in goal while at the Latics).

I remember playing Scrabble at his flat. Might have had a few more games if my Dad hadn't ruined it by running off with Big Jims wife!!

Amusingly I am a massive advocate of the Latics youth system, who was deeply critical of the :censored: that people give to Taylor and Eardley.

The reason I think that this bears mentioning is that already Tarkowski is being set up as the next great white hope of Boundary Park. That's a position that Captain Eardley was in not too long ago, before people decided he's :censored:.

It's about managing expectation, and Tarkowski needs to learn to defend before we get too up his arse.

Amusingly I am a massive advocate of the Latics youth system, who was deeply critical of the :censored: that people give to Taylor and Eardley.

The reason I think that this bears mentioning is that already Tarkowski is being set up as the next great white

hope of Boundary Park. That's a position that Captain Eardley was in not too long ago, before people decided he's :censored:.

It's about managing expectation, and Tarkowski needs to learn to defend before we get too up his arse.

Eardley was :censored:? Played in prem and championship, yeah he's :censored:.

Was hyped for a reason... He was better than league 1

Eardley was :censored:? Played in prem and championship, yeah he's :censored:.

Was hyped for a reason... He was better than league 1

I think Mr Vega agrees with you.

Not all did.

There are posters here who think Taylor's :censored:. I'd rather have him in the team than not though.

So the previous reference to "expectations" is important. Taylor had massive promise to play at a higher level and hasn't really fulfilled it. To some, that makes him :censored: and a failure. For me, it's a blessing in disguise. It means that he has remained at Latics for longer than he might have done and still has the ability to be the "difference" in matches. He needs to do it more often though - this season hasn't seen him be overley influential.

Eardley was probably a similar thing. Because he was playing international football, some had the expectation that he should be what Gareth Bale has become. The reality was that he was a bloody good full back who occasionally hoofed it in to touch. Watching him on the tellybox last night suggests that Neal Eardey is a bloody good Championship player.

Which brings us on to Tarkowski. I think he's rather good. Settled in to the side easily. Vocal. Reads the game well (which makes up for a lack of pace, and I've not seen that lack of pace give him any grief this year). Comfortable on the ball. So he certainly has the potential to improve and turn in to a player who can do it in one of the two divisions above.

We don't know if he will or not. Footballers get to a point where they stop getting any better. They are what they are. Or for youngsters they get left in a side with a thin squad after they start making mistakes - I think Oldham fans are among the worst for getting on a player's back and that can destroy confidence.

I think Tarky's great. Deserves the plaudits he's had. MK Dons apart, we haven't shipped a huge number of goals with him in the team - the problems have been at the other end of the pitch. Indeed, he looks like somebody who could score 5 or 6 a season himself - many with his feet.

So I think the implication in the thread's existance that we're over-egging his ability is wrong. But let's not turn him in to another boo-boy if we're all still here in 5 years, he's the new Reuben Hazell (bog standard lower league centre half who does ok but makes the odd howler) and he's not got a Champions League winners medal with Barcelona to show for his potential. The reality will probably be somewhere in the Championship. Hopefully captaining Latics.

Ah so that was you? Couldnt tell what happened. Who you play for?

not sure what they are called Queens Con Club i think? used to be North Star who I played for - for over 10 years until I moved away 18months or so ago

first game in over 12 months and got 5 mins before someone went over the top of the ball on me

got out of hospital this morning! patella tendon repaird as it had completly snapped and had metal wire put around my knee and drilled in to my shin to hold it in place, to be removed at a later date - 3 months on crutches! :bigcry::censored:

:ranting:

Thought he had a poor first half today!

Worst half I've seen him play (I wasn't at MK Dons so don't know if he was bad there).

He gave the ball away a few times including for their second goal (though it was a decent finish from Evans).