Stevenage: BBC Highlights

Latics did.

Poor defending from 2 of the more consistent performers Lee and Tarky - cross should never have come in!

Tarky very poor there, bullied off the centre forward and then stood there but a) didnt put a tackle in or b didnt attempt to block the cross

v v poor.

Edited by alex_balls

Tarky's great.

But in a perfect world when a young and developing players starts making the wrong decisions it's time to take them out of the firing line.

Latics world is not perfect.

Tarky was taken out of the firing line for that game, sadly his replacement got crocked so Tarky was plunged back in. Plus, the "consensus on twitter" was that Dickov had dropped a bollock by resting Tarky for that game. The bloke can't win.

Tarky's great.

But in a perfect world when a young and developing players starts making the wrong decisions it's time to take them out of the firing line.

Latics world is not perfect.

I think to be fair, he's made mistakes in every game since his return to the side. Most he's got away with but his tendency to stand off players is beginning to cost us. He's excellent in the air and superb with the ball at his feet when able to roam, but any striker with a bit of nouse shows him up for the kid he is. Shame Biscuit Boy Diamond is injured again as PD was right to rest him (Tarky) on Tuesday. As dodgy as M'Voto has been recently as well, we've seen before he's capable of playing himself back into form.

My worry for the side collectively is our tendency to stand off teams, the midfield are the biggest culprits as they are not tacklers. When Wes is in the team you lose count of the times he gets in there and wins that ball back. (Furman too to a lesser extent) Brown and Adeyemi prefer the ball at their feet rather than going looking for it. That's why Burns would be such an asset within the set-up at the moment. M'Changama showed promising signs, but if we are to get the 10 points we need to make sure of safety then we need to get stuck in. I'm worried about Jones tomorrow, he'll run the show, and probably score if we give him the room we have afforded to most teams since the weather break….

As a final thought, one of the main reasons we were so successful in the past was that Millgan and Henry were scrappers that went looking for the ball to win back, win the ball back nothing fancy then get it wide. Now we have midfielders that are waiting for the ball to come to them. Brown is definitely the answer and i'm glad PD has stuck him at LB.

Tarky was taken out of the firing line for that game, sadly his replacement got crocked so Tarky was plunged back in.

That's what I meant as in "not a perfect world".

Plus, the "consensus on twitter" was that Dickov had dropped a bollock by resting Tarky for that game. The bloke can't win.

He's always going to struggle to please all the people all of the time. And I'd hope he doesn't pick his team on the back of "Twitter consensus" or any of the bollocks we put on here.

I was alone in thinking Dickov got it right with his defence on Tuesday night. Injuries changed that, well :censored: happens. Equally, I thought that was the game to take Kuqi out of the firing line but the manager thinks otherwise - perhaps knowing what training / mental state / true abilities of the potential replacements are.

While I don't like losing three games in a row Dickov has limited choices. We can all call for the youth to be "thrown in" but we've already seen Mellor, Winchester and Tarky exposed. Getting the balance between match experience and destroying confidence is a tough one.

Big concerns for me:

Foul count - we're either very clean tacklers or we don't get stuck in. Fewer fouls than any other side in the division. Lightweight.

Midfielders in the penalty area - the middle two sit deep (even Wes and Furman do) so we never have people queuing up in the box to finish off a move.

Defensive switch off - the ghost of Reuben Hazell lives on.

Left Back - hopefully Reece Brown is the solution. Paul Black is adequate but worth targeting. David Mellor is struggling but better than unbalancing the defence by putting Lee at left back.

by battered do you mean lack of match fitness or physcially pushed out of it?

Fitness. Understandable really. Physically he did fine, which surprised me a little as he looked like a dwarf compared to the size of some of their lads.

Dear BBC

There were only two key moments in the game on Tuesday night. One was the goal and the other was a penalty incident deep into injury time. You managed to show one of these incidents in your 2 1/2 minute highlights package. Well done

Dear BBC

Does Shefki Kuqi edit your Oldham Athletic match highlights? If not, why are his missed scoring opportunities deleted?