According to.....

I can't recall either having a decent run in the side.....its been our downfall. In some positions we'll shove square pegs in round holes, yet up front, we stick to the same tired old regime week after week...

This is the problem with the modern football fan, if they don't score a hat-trick in their first ten-minute cameo appearance then they're written off. Look at Andy Carroll, he's struggled for form all season, but the over the last month he's been unplayable and people are clamouring for him to go to the Euros. Kelly was never given a chance, so we'll never know What I did see of him, he looked a threat if a little off the pace. O'Grady was written off yet fired Dale to promotion and then hit double figures the season before last, then moves for decent money to Hillsborough. Killen was written off but when he was finally injury free he went on a run where he scored 10 in 6. More recenty we've had Smith written off despite him tearing pre-season up. It wasn't his fault we started the season with no midfield and no supply line, despite that he scored a couple of goals from the bench and fed off scraps and 15 minute sub appearances here and there. Anyone who went to Chesterfield will know that Smith has a chance at this level, but he needs a run. If he'd played week in week out, i'm convinced he would have easily got into double figures, he just needs the monkey of a Boundary Park goal off his back.

Same for any other striker we sign, they need faith in them to be showed by the fans but also by the guy who signs them. I remember Porter being pretty average in his first year here too.

As for any new lad from lower down, i'll give him a chance to prove himself, not sure our dithering manager will who seems to prefer playing strikers on horrendous runs of form. It'd be nice to have a nippy little bugger up there though, if he has an eye for goal, well that's a bonus.

Edited by oafcprozac

This is the problem with the modern football fan, if they don't score a hat-trick in their first ten-minute cameo appearance then they're written off. Look at Andy Carroll, he's struggled for form all season, but the over the last month he's been unplayable and people are clamouring for him to go to the Euros. Kelly was never given a chance, so we'll never know What I did see of him, he looked a threat if a little off the pace. O'Grady was written off yet fired Dale to promotion and then hit double figures the season before last, then moves for decent money to Hillsborough. Killen was written off but when he was finally injury free he went on a run where he scored 10 in 6. More recenty we've had Smith written off despite him tearing pre-season up. It wasn't his fault we started the season with no midfield and no supply line, despite that he scored a couple of goals from the bench and fed off scraps and 15 minute sub appearances here and there. Anyone who went to Chesterfield will know that Smith has a chance at this level, but he needs a run. If he'd played week in week out, i'm convinced he would have easily got into double figures, he just needs the monkey of a Boundary Park goal off his back.

Same for any other striker we sign, they need faith in them to be showed by the fans but also by the guy who signs them. I remember Porter being pretty average in his first year here too.

As for any new lad from lower down, i'll give him a chance to prove himself, not sure our dithering manager will who seems to prefer playing strikers on horrendous runs of form. It'd be nice to have a nippy little bugger up there though, if he has an eye for goal, well that's a bonus.

I disagree with the bit in bold (nothing to do with university education :wink: ). You could see Porter had something about him on his Latics debut and throughout his first season he showed an awful lot more than Smith. Porter has a footballing brain, which I don't think Smith has, or ever will have. I would love to see Smith succeed but he won't because he simply isn't good enough.