Lower League Wages

Amidst so much partially-informed speculation, I'm always intrigued when players' wages are formally disclosed in the press. However, I was staggered to read on the Beeb website that Mark McCammon was on £2,500 p/w at Gilingham in League 2! Presumably this was before any performance bonuses too. A journeyman striker who has only ever scored double figures in a season once in his career - no wonder so many clubs are staring bankruptcy in the face!

All the more painful when we watch players who clearly can't be arsed to do a job that most of us would give a limb for...

Amidst so much partially-informed speculation, I'm always intrigued when players' wages are formally disclosed in the press. However, I was staggered to read on the Beeb website that Mark McCammon was on £2,500 p/w at Gilingham in League 2! Presumably this was before any performance bonuses too. A journeyman striker who has only ever scored double figures in a season once in his career - no wonder so many clubs are staring bankruptcy in the face!

All the more painful when we watch players who clearly can't be arsed to do a job that most of us would give a limb for...

Who? :dntknw:

"Mr McCammon signed for Gillingham in 2008 on a salary of £2,500 a week, making him the club's highest-paid player.

"It was a phenomenal deal," he said. "It was a deal that most players would have taken."

But he disputed claims that the "trade off" was that if Gillingham remained in League Two during contract terms, his salary would be cut by 15%."

Edited by LaticsPete

Apparently the infamous Alan Lee was on 7k a week last season. Ok hudds are big spenders and he came down from the championship, but it's still shocking (especially as it's him)

More Hudds wages........I heard (from an in the know Hudds season ticket holder I know) that Joey Gudjonnson was on £10K a week after signing from Burnley, Bennett & Naysmith on £8K and Damien Johnsons £12K a week wages were paid in full during both his loans......so £7K for Alan Lee seems about right for them.

Unbelievable Jeff - and it took them how long to get out of the division??

I know of one League Two player who earns 2,200 a week, doesn't even nearly catch at the club he's at, got bombed out on loan last season to another club in the same division who took on his wages, he's apparently not even one of their higher paid players and the said club didn't even go up last season!

Some clubs, despite current financial state of football, are chucking loads of money at it!

More Hudds wages........I heard (from an in the know Hudds season ticket holder I know) that Joey Gudjonnson was on £10K a week after signing from Burnley, Bennett & Naysmith on £8K and Damien Johnsons £12K a week wages were paid in full during both his loans......so £7K for Alan Lee seems about right for them.

Unbelievable Jeff - and it took them how long to get out of the division??

Joey Gudjonnson was on £16k a week.

You know it is bad when the truth is more than the rumours.