Morais signs for...

BUT WHERE'S THE LOYALTY!?!?!

Totally agree btw. Him upping his game when he realised his contract was running down leaves a bit of a bitter taste, but I have no problem with players at this level moving on for more money. It's quite embarrassing how angry people get about this, especially as they'd almost certainly do the same thing if they were put in that situation.

i'm not embarrassed.

money aint everything.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who says they give it 100% every week is either a liar or in a very, VERY small minority. I'd wager that most people work a bit harder in the run up to the annual salary review...

If you had Croft and Fil to choose from and ignore money you would choose Croft every time so good luck to Flip Flap and suspect he will be a regular on the transfer lists for rest of career.

would you? Not so sure.

The form Morais ended the season in; I'd want him in my team. Croft has big-time lost his way over the last few years; basically since he left Norwich, and it's by no means a certainty that he'll be a success here this season is it?

I mean - he looks over weight (for a footballer mind; glass houses & all that) in the OS photos, and he's been injury plagued for a few season - barely caught a game on loan at Hudds and Nigel Clough can't wait to get him away from Derby it would seem from the series of loans he's had......it's by no means a given that he'll be the flying winger we remember from his 20 game loan spell with us as a youngster?

That said - get him trim, fit & motivated again, and if he stays injury free and gets a run of games; I think we'll see a return to the 'old' Lee Croft and as a result, will have bagged ourselves a cracking player.

I would everytime without hesitation. Sly you said Morrais would be hard to replace and agree he was vastly improved but Croft at a level above if fit as PD said in his interview.

Flip flap wont play higher and honestly believe that. Hes simply not that consistent or would have never joined us in first place he appears to fall out with himself and move on far too regularly. The fact he did up his game with a view to moving leaves a bitter taste. Lets agree to check again about Christmas when we are 18 points clear of 2nd. ;-)

Might be an agree to disagree point here then Hallam…..

I just don't get posters who have come out with 'Morais leaves with a bitter taste' as he was 'playing for a contract'. I don't see it that way at all. He got a good run of games, he was fit, injury & suspension free and, he was the only creative outlet in the side with Simmo being out of the team for a decent chunk, which he thrived on. Morais playing well for 5 months shouldn't leave a bitter taste at all, it should leaves memories like his Charlton goal and stand out performances albeit in a poor side low on form & confidence - ; but not a bitter taste??

Players come & go, it's now the way it works. If Morais has been able to better his wage at a new club, then all power to him really. I wanted him to stay and IMO a creative player like him is hard to replace. A fully fit & motivated Lee Croft is a replacement (potentially a better standard than I expected coming in actually), but I don't get the backlash that some are sending Morais off with - over 'playing for a contract'. I wish he was still a Latics player, but he isn't and he goes with my best wishes; wherever he ends up.

Something I've picked up on is that people seem to be assuming that his perceived increased effort is due to him wanting a move away. I'd have thought it would be in the hope Oldham would give him an improved contract first and foremost.

That's if his 'increased effort' was indeed to do with money, or whether it was due to him being injury free and getting regular first team football, resulting in an increase in form. Just a thought, like.

Anyone who says they give it 100% every week is either a liar or in a very, VERY small minority. I'd wager that most people work a bit harder in the run up to the annual salary review...

This is playing football not sitting at a desk put data into excel. It's 90 minutes to give 100% each week, hardly a lot to ask.

Something I've picked up on is that people seem to be assuming that his perceived increased effort is due to him wanting a move away. I'd have thought it would be in the hope Oldham would give him an improved contract first and foremost.

That's if his 'increased effort' was indeed to do with money, or whether it was due to him being injury free and getting regular first team football, resulting in an increase in form. Just a thought, like.

That might have been the case originally, but if he has impressed enough to get a more lucrative deal elsewhere, then it's hard to blame him for taking it.

This is playing football not sitting at a desk put data into excel. It's 90 minutes to give 100% each week, hardly a lot to ask.

Okay. What does 100% for 90 minutes a week entail?

If he has secured more money for himself and his kid by playing football then congratulations and good luck to him. If he did this by putting in extra effort in the second half of last season then I'll add thanks for keeping us up.

Hopefully Croft will do a better job for us though to the extent that I'll have forgotten about Morais by half time in the Sheff Wed match.

Your more or less spot on.

According to (my reliable source) one of the players, it was put to Morais by Dickov that he needed to book his ideas up or he was being released when his contract was up, or sooner.

I didn't realise so many were rankled by Morais's move. He was playing a lot better post-Christmas but I think his performance against Brentford showed us exactly his level. Trickery and a little bit of flair (I use that term loosely because it wasn't a fixed part of his game) won't get you far as a winger if you can't cross a ball with accuracy and under pressure. Sadly for Morais he couldn't deliver a cross on a consistent basis.

I'd have liked to see him stay but with hindsight he isn't a player who will happily sit on the bench without making many noises. If he's playing well he's useful, when he's not he's better away from the club. He showed us both sides of his game so we're none the wiser as to whether he would have become a key player.

Would anyone put him in the same category as wellens porter and to some extent kilkenny because I would money grabbing

for starters Wellens and Porter are not even in the same category

Kilkenny who was not even our player!

we wouldnt have made much money of Morais if he was under contract - if any