Perspective

We've assembled a decent starting eleven, the problem is that there is no strength in depth squad wise. It showed yesterday, Wes is a key player but we have no cover for what is an important position in the side. I like Mchangama but he's not a patch on Wes or Furman and the side is a lot weaker with him in there.

We struggled last season when any of the two missed a game and we will continue to do so until we have a good back up. Yesterday there was no real game plan in the middle with both doing their own thing, Furman was obviously trying to cover for Mchangama and vice versa, just negated each other.

Read all the criticism of Tarky, he's not the finished article by any stretch of the imagination but he'll only improve with game time and experience. He'll cost us but that's life and I'm sure he'll turn out to be a top player.

Not sure on Slew, ain't seen anything yet, he was poor yesterday and Montana was clearly a yard or two off the pace...early days and hopefully they'll both come good.

Grounds and Byrne have both struggled so far, Grounds was turned inside out yesterday but Powell is a class act.

Early days but a top half finish is a realistic expectation, anything more is a tall order!

I think it is the worst debut I've ever seen.

Budtz, Hines, Neil Moore, Ian Ormondroyd, Andy Goram MKII, Junior Agogo, Neville Roach, John Keeley, Glenn Keeley, Brian Kilcline, Alan Blayney, Dean Crowe, The Lord Um Bongo, Chris Killen, Billy Kenny, Andy Rhodes, Mike Fillery, Derek Brazil…..:censored:ing hell I could write a book on crap Latics debuts and Mantono was far from the worst I have witnessed...

Of the scores i've seen, although young Cristiano looked off the pace and was reluctant to take a man on - he was not THAT bad just pretty low key. Obviously a work in progress, said himself he's barely had a pre-season so yet again more genius from Dickov by playing a lad who was blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes. The fact his main rival for the left wing berth did very well when he came on will have given him the kick up the arse that was possibly needed.

Edited by oafcprozac

Budtz, Hines, Neil Moore, Ian Ormondroyd, Andy Goram MKII, Junior Agogo, Neville Roach, John Keeley, Glenn Keeley, Brian Kilcline, Alan Blayney, Dean Crowe, The Lord Um Bongo, Chris Killen, Billy Kenny, Andy Rhodes, Mike Fillery, Derek Brazil…..:censored:ing hell I could write a book on crap Latics debuts and Mantono was far from the worst I have witnessed...

Of the scores i've seen, although young Cristiano looked off the pace and was reluctant to take a man on - he was not THAT bad just pretty low key. Obviously a work in progress, said himself he's barely had a pre-season so yet again more genius from Dickov by playing a lad who was blowing out of his arse after 15 minutes. The fact his main rival for the left wing berth did very well when he came on will have given him the kick up the arse that was possibly needed.

Didn't these two score on their debut? Killen at Peterborough midweek under Dowie, Crowe away at Luton?

Haven't looked either up. If I'm right about either of them, I really have filled my memory with too much rubbish....

Let's hope it gave PD food for thought also :smoking:

Didn't these two score on their debut? Killen at Peterborough midweek under Dowie, Crowe away at Luton?

Haven't looked either up. If I'm right about either of them, I really have filled my memory with too much rubbish....

Yes, but Crowe was crap it was a mi:censored: cross. Killen made his full debut three days before Peterborough, spending 90 minutes in Cardiff's Gabbidon's pocket despite being taller and heavily built. Thought we'd paid over 200 grand for a real turkey...

Edited by oafcprozac

Derek Brazil away at Bristol Rovers when they were at Twerton Park!

Jesus,he got some abuse which was very unusual in those days.

His parents were sat behind us on Barlows - mortified.

Billy Kenny???? Are we talking about his league debut against Charlton where him and Richardson ran the show? I remember an interview with Royle after on GMR saying if he's that good when not 100% fit goodness only know what he can produce when fully fit.

His range of passing that day was something I hadn't seen before at latics, and haven't seen since....

One of the biggest waste of talent's I have ever seen...

He was sent off v Sunderland, January 1995, awful day, awful game - be once he got himself fit he was quality for us in that sweeping role part of a team that although struggled in 95/96 never conceded more than 2 goals in a league game all season (although one was usually enough)

-

Just going back to the title of the thread, sometimes you get a better perspective of things by taking a step back, it is difficult to see the wood for the trees at times, time too allows you to get a better perspective on things, often it isn't possible to judge trends and outcomes from isolated events.

He was sent off v Sunderland, January 1995, awful day, awful game - be once he got himself fit he was quality for us in that sweeping role part of a team that although struggled in 95/96 never conceded more than 2 goals in a league game all season (although one was usually enough)

-

Yep. He did all right after that but it was a pretty bloody awful debut.

Just going back to the title of the thread, sometimes you get a better perspective of things by taking a step back, it is difficult to see the wood for the trees at times, time too allows you to get a better perspective on things, often it isn't possible to judge trends and outcomes from isolated events.

There's nothing much to step back from though - we've put up half decent shows against two sides with much better players & unfortunately lost both of them but without being disgraced.

That's it.

Nothing to get overly excited about yet & nothing to get too down about either (although some are contriving to do the latter).