Tactics, tactics, tactics

With respect I would like to suggest that everyone, other than opinions4u, is missing the point.

I would like to know the instructions given to the team just before they walked out. They are not so thick, I hope, to completely ignore what they have been told.

Who was it that decided our only tactic in the first half would be for Cisak to hit the ball long to Montano? Who asked Wes and Furman to both play higher up the pitch?

Either the team decided to play in a way which we all know does not suit them or they were sent out to play in a way they know does not suit them. They stuck to the long ball despite its repeated failure. This was watched from the Bench and no instructions given to pass the ball out from the back. Clearly an instruction given at half time, which was working, and then confused by putting Smith on so back to the long ball.

It was our tactics that were wrong. I thought they lost heart because of they way they were asked to play. I give them credit for sticking to the instructions but I would ask them in the future to ignore them.

16th we are and no higher than 16th we will stay.

Disagree. Both Furman and Wes didn't pile forward as a pair, I watched them several times alternate when we got going forward (which was rare). They communicated well, 1 dropping back and 1 pushing on.

Nor do I agree with they went to hoof it to Montano from the first. We tried to pass it along the floor for the first 10-15 minutes but I think the players just realised how poor one another's touch was on that particular day, they were getting nowhere, so they reverted to hoofing it.....and that's even without Cliff Byrne on the pitch. :petesake:

The players (or Dickov) were too quick to change tactics. There will always be a chance when Baxter and Derbyshire are on the pitch if we give the ball to them enough times in decent positions.

Then when we started to try to get it out wide to Montano and Croft who were horribly off the pace which was a crazy choice considering how poor they had been earlier in the game.

As I saw in another thread, Dickov was out-managed by Di Canio. He put his best player, Ritchie, on what he thought was our weak link in defence, Grounds, and told them to get the ball to him all of the time and run at the defender who was inferior and ultimately, that's the wing where the 2 goals came from.

Edited by NewBlue

With respect I would like to suggest that everyone, other than opinions4u, is missing the point.

I would like to know the instructions given to the team just before they walked out. They are not so thick, I hope, to completely ignore what they have been told.

Who was it that decided our only tactic in the first half would be for Cisak to hit the ball long to Montano? Who asked Wes and Furman to both play higher up the pitch?

Either the team decided to play in a way which we all know does not suit them or they were sent out to play in a way they know does not suit them. They stuck to the long ball despite its repeated failure. This was watched from the Bench and no instructions given to pass the ball out from the back. Clearly an instruction given at half time, which was working, and then confused by putting Smith on so back to the long ball.

It was our tactics that were wrong. I thought they lost heart because of they way they were asked to play. I give them credit for sticking to the instructions but I would ask them in the future to ignore them.

16th we are and no higher than 16th we will stay.

It's a fair point, but it doesn't explain why, when we did keep it on the deck, we kept giving the ball away.

Grounds has a habit of passing the ball out of play when under no pressure at all. He did it at Bournemouth and he did it yesterday.

That's nowt to do with tactics - a clogger on Hackney Marshes would be ashamed.

Yesterday once again underlined the fact that we are clueless when it comes to tactics.

Swindon arrive with a set plan of play and we can't cope , but even worse is we can't change our tactics to cope .

What was also worrying was the fact that for most of the game Swindon had 50% more energy than us , not the first time this has happened this season . MKD did the same.

Our players are no where near as fit as they should be and SC should be seriously asking what we are doing in training.

The frustrating thing is when you look at the league and see that we are nearly half way through the season and Tranmere and Brentford are the top two.

Proof that budgets don't matter as much as having a decent management team in place !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the issue isn't so much to do with our starting tactics, more to do with the plan when it's clear after 5 minutes that its not working.

A common theme is quite obvious during the 'Jeckyll' performances we're seeing. Both our wingers get neutralised by the oppo and we're simply :censored:ed. Wes & Furman get stretched having to come wider for balls, Baxter & Derbyshire effectively turn into luxury players, completely useless when starved of the ball and we find the ball in our half most of the time. In the 'Hyde' performances we have Croft & Montano haring down the touchline and look a dangerous threat.

I suggest we go back to basics and say to them 'just pass to the guy wearing the same shirt as you' then after 5 minutes of knocking the ball into the chaddy refine our approach and say 'pass the ball to the guy wearing the same shirt as you on the pitch' this should be an improvement on yesterday!

Well I beg to differ but then that is the point of this. We will see on boxing day when we play a team in the out of reach top of the division that we have already beaten.

On the question of a lack of fitness. Do you think it helps for Dickov to call a tired team in for extra practice? Its about character and commitment rather than pure fitness and the response to the errors that produced two goals meant heads were down and the game lost. Why anyone thought Montano could play as a target man is beyond me.