Lee Hughes

Geordie Blue

Hughes Move - Good/Bad  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you favour the move for Hughes

• Yes - A great signing
    • No - No Way

I dont condone what he did but he has served his time :jailed: and should be given a second chance. If we dont sign him one of our rivals would and I would prefer him to score 20 goals for us than 2 goals against us. Give the lad a chance. :ktf:

Guest sheridans_world
Delighted. Will he be booed at every away game you think?

It will grow old quickly. They may start up in the first 5 minutes but they'll shut up when he scores.

We have a lot of serial moaners at the Club who are Season Ticket Holders.

Like it or not, many will feel extremely strongly about this signing and I suspect that this will be a perfect reason for many to not renew their Season Tickets.

I doubt that really - it's being presented as a chance at redemption, which not many could really complain about (well they could, and they will, but you know what I mean). Especially after Barry's involvement - I bet he's fitted up more people than a cable TV makeover expert but he must think the guy is worth giving a chance to. It's good to see the club were ready and waiting for the media uproar, I think we are well on top of this one.

Like it or not, many will feel extremely strongly about this signing and I suspect that this will be a perfect reason for many to not renew their Season Tickets.

But when he starts to fire them in, and fire us towards the top of the league, those same fans will come flocking back as usual...

Guest sheridans_world
We have a lot of serial moaners at the Club who are Season Ticket Holders.

I dont agree with this, people will renew. The serial moaners have renewed for years. There is nothing like another person to moan at for them.

I dont agree with this, people will renew. The serial moaners have renewed for years. There is nothing like another person to moan at for them.

:swordfight:

Touche Monsieur S_W. We will watch our duel fought out in The Chronicle Letters Pages over the coming days! :)

Guest sheridans_world
:swordfight:

Touche Monsieur S_W. We will watch our duel fought out in The Chronicle Letters Pages over the coming days! :)

My Letter has already been written and sent.....well typed and sent. Via Email!

My Letter has already been written and sent.....well typed and sent. Via Email!

Good job the Planning debate is now closed as I'm sure the NIMBYs would have made capital out of us signing a convict!

Speaking of which, no-one has ever objected to Les Pogliacomi's descendency. :o<_<:Australia:

People will renew, as even though he's done what he's done. Even the moaners agree on one thing, no one player is bigger than the club.

The decrease if any, wouldnt be a significant number. If anything, should take mean a few less moaners and 'cardboard cutout fans'. Happy days if that's the case.

People will renew, as even though he's done what he's done. Even the moaners agree on one thing, no one player is bigger than the club.

The decrease if any, wouldnt be a significant number. If anything, should take mean a few less moaners and 'cardboard cutout fans'. Happy days if that's the case.

I think you may be seriously underestimating the impact that this will have. Many people will have big moral issues with this signing and it will stop them going to Boundary Park.

"No one player is bigger than the Club"? True. How about "No one manager is bigger than the Club"? Speaking of Cardboard cut-outs, how many Season Tickets did Ronnie Moore cost us? They didn't exactly come back in their droves following his sacking and the change of style under Shez did they?

I think you may be seriously underestimating the impact that this will have. Many people will have big moral issues with this signing and it will stop them going to Boundary Park.

"No one player is bigger than the Club"? True. How about "No one manager is bigger than the Club"? Speaking of Cardboard cut-outs, how many Season Tickets did Ronnie Moore cost us? They didn't exactly come back in their droves following his sacking and the change of style under Shez did they?

how about a poll to find out?

I dont think it'll be big numbers that dont renew season tickets. Well, not purely because of Lee Hughes anyway.

Guest sheridans_world
Speaking of Cardboard cut-outs, how many Season Tickets did Ronnie Moore cost us? They didn't exactly come back in their droves following his sacking and the change of style under Shez did they?

I know alot that did.

how about a poll to find out?

I very much doubt that those people will be Members of OWTB so a poll would not really work. Like I say, the local press will be interesting over the coming days.

While we have a few Senior members, most of those against this will be the older ones. OWTB tends to be made up of younger people plus exiles like me who would still renew their Season Tickets regardless of who was managing the team or signed to play. I apologise if that is a sweeping generalisation.

For the record, I am excited by the Hughes signing and think we have pulled off a real coup. I do however still believe that this will mean we lose some regulars.

Guest sheridans_world
Fair point. I also sit and look at many empty seats in The Main Stand that were filled with Season Ticket Holders in 2005-2006. They remained empty until the Play-off game against Blackpool.

Expense. I know alot that moved to lookers/chaddy because the 'luxury' of the main stand isnt that appealing any more. Mainly because it isnt luxury!

Expense. I know alot that moved to lookers/chaddy because the 'luxury' of the main stand isnt that appealing any more. Mainly because it isnt luxury!

It's the same price!

Tell them to come back as it was even colder last year with the icy blasts whistling through empty spaces!

I'm a season ticket holder and will definately be renewing mine in the next couple of days. When i first heard that we were attempting to sign Hughes i thought it would be a huge mistake but now i've actually thought about it why shouldn't he be able to work? He has served his time - or soon will have - and he should get a second chance. What he did was awful and i would hope it's something he deeply regrets. If he wasn't a footballer then no-one would be moaning about him trying to get back into work. I'm sure it will put a few people off renewing their season tickets but i would hope that once they have thought about it they will change there minds. I sit in the lower tier of the main stand and the amount of season ticket holders has drastically dropped over the last few seasons, its something the club seriously need to look at

Delighted. Will he be booed at every away game you think?

maybe Wallsall and Northampton, I've heard from other supporters on another forum, and it seems that the supporters of clubs from the West Midlands are the most skeptical about the move. I personally think that prison should be all about rehabilitating people so if he's a reformed person then I'm for it but we don't actually know the answer to that question yet

Good job the Planning debate is now closed as I'm sure the NIMBYs would have made capital out of us signing a convict!

Speaking of which, no-one has ever objected to Les Pogliacomi's descendency. :o<_<:Australia:

I thought I had read somewhere that Les's dad was from Argentina.

Just looking at this vote:

Trying to forget the fact that he is in prison and just looking at the other facts.

He has not played for 3 years. Before his break fromt he game, his goalscoring record at Coventry and his second stint at West Brom hardly set the world alight.

How can anyone claim with any great conviction at all that he will be "a great signing"?

The other option being "No- No way" (which i voted for for purely non-footballing reasons) which is also quite strong in the opposite direction. Surely there should have been an option on ths vote which sated "No Idea, I haven't got a clue if he will be any good."

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Guest sheridans_world
I'm excited to be an latics fan again :D

Haha.

Only just now?

What about when Shez took over as manager?

What about when we hit the top of the table?

What about when TTA took over?

What about when the plans were submitted?

I have been excited to be a Latics fan for a few years now :D

This is what I think. Hughes has to work in his trade when he gets out of jail, so he has to play football for someone. We dont know if he is a reformed character so signing him is a real gamble. Could go either way. If he stays off the grog and the drugs and gets involved in a positive manner in the community, then great. I hope for everyones sake he does. But if he goes off the rails it will be a nightmare, could have a terrible influence on the younger players and he would then not be a great role model for our younger fans either

Very brave decision to sign him. I hope the club are more confident than I am.

Does anyone know how Shez feels about this, because I have heard nothing from him. But I am in Melbourne!!