Stoppage time sickener

Good luck planting seeds in Tarmac.

Bollocks. My plans to see us relegated under Dickov at Orient, only to return on the tram to Mumps to see before me the wonderful fruits of Taggart and Butler's labour in the second half of the season have been dashed by the bastards at the council. It's always their fault.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith Hill would more than do for me, wouldn't cost a lot & is used to working with no money!!

He was 92nd in a recent chart.....so no thanks. I was very surprised but worse than Dicky if that is possible.

think Barnsley was a very tough job but Latics would be too.

Hill would be a good call because he had a plan with Dale and carried it off. He used O'Grady as the big man and then Dagnall/Le Fondre as the small striker to play off them. With Matty Smith/Simpson and then Taylor/Baxter, I think he could use that tactic here. Also made good profits off strikers like O'Grady and Davies who have failed here. We could do a lot worse.

Who next? There’s the rub. There are a few out there but I can’t bring one to mind who hasn’t been sacked for failure, most by clubs with bigger playing budgets than we can offer. Maybe there is someone out there who wants to try and do us a favour like Baxter. Is there a managerial appointment more frustratingly difficult than a successful football manager? I wonder what the ratio is of managers who are head hunted and those that are sacked.

The bolded bit.

Are you deluded?

Well who else is out there? Keith Hill aside there isn't anyone who would take on the job or do well here.

Have to say though, watching the football league show they were talking about the Blackpool caretaker manager Thompson. Wiki says he was born in Oldham and he says he's ready to manage.. Doesn't mean he'll be any good and if theres only 2 possible names, I wouldn't want to replace Dickov for the sake of it, then we'd definitely go down

He played Mellor today who had only 20mins of football all season! That's because he doesn't use his subs! I like Mellor Christ after mk we turned down a bid from Fulham for him yet never gets a chance at latics

M'changama is a rare bright spot of late and always liked him yet soon as few are back he will be on the bench

If he signs a new striker he will also replace smith not play with him and push Taylor further down the lad needs game time to improve

We were told we would run through walls this season haven't done it

He asked for 10 games he has had 26 or so and still :censored:

I'm losing patience with corney as well now as he must see this and has to act, crowds are down the football is crap, we go to games expecting to lose, the stadium is :censored:e and we have a manager who has lost the fans and most importantly the changing room and has players who don't believe his tactics quite rightly so

I hate this idea that we can't have a manager that wasn't successful at another club.

In Spain they employ managers that have failed at other clubs; give them another chances by taking into account what they did before in their career. An example being Juan Ignacio Martinez at Levante. A team full of old journey men playing for one of the smaller teams in La Liga have been in Champions League contention for the past 2 seasons. Martinez wasn't particularly successful before his spell with Levante and had managed many teams having varying levels of success but they saw a talent and nurtured it and look at them now. This culture of persistence with managers that have been good before is ingrained in the Spanish game.

Sometimes it's the circumstances at the club which cause failure but that doesn't make the manager bad at what they do. Obviously you wouldn't want somebody who had achieved nothing but everybody has a blemish on their CV but you can look past that.

I'd still rather have Steve Cotterill or Billy Davies but even he's been unsuccessful in periods of career with Motherwell and Derby.

Edited by NewBlue

Well who else is out there?

So you think if Latics had a vacancy nobody would apply?

I'd suggest you'd get 40 applications worth consideration after you've shredded the letters from the crackpots.

You'd then easily get a short list of a dozen or so with a mix of higher experience / lower experience as managers, a couple of seasoned professionals coming to the end of their playing career and others who've been coaching elsewhere but want to step up and o the top job.

I'd also suggest 80% of them would do a better job than Dickov with the same resources.

It's obvious that Dickov's managerial inexperience is going to end in tears, for him and for the Club.However, we're stuck with him and have to hope these players can improve their consistency enough to avoid relegation - they certainly owe their gaffer a lot.

Having said that, Latics should have won yesterday. The second half performance was an improvement, which admittedly isn't saying much, and the team had enough good opportunities to win the game. Simpson was put through with a one-on-one with the keeper, then it looked as though he was wondering whether to celebrate against his former club, and, hey presto, he shot at the keeper. The youngsters coming on made all the difference and the atmosphere in the away end was ecstatic following the equaliser. It looked like Latics were the only team going to get the winner. With wave after wave of attacks, all it needed was a bit of luck and we would have been singing the praises of one of the great comebacks. Then, as usual the players made errors that proved costly. Baxter hoofed the ball about 45 yards - it was either a very wayward attempt to lob the keeper or, more likely an attempt to put the ball into no man's land over on the far side of the pitch to waste time, when it was crucial to keep possession.

Then came the Coventry winner, and what a fantastic goal it was. It was better than the equaliser that bloke in red scored against Latics at Wembley, and it brought back to the away end that same sickening feeling of unjustness suffered on that Semi-Final day.

That split-second wonder-strike turned joy and optimism into the usual despair of being a Latics supporter, which no matter how often experienced, does not get any easier to bear.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

Diego. Why are "stuck with him"?

Why is he unsackable? Why can he continue to 'manage' us with one of the worst records going; and he's untouchable?

I say balls to that. He's been on borrowed time for ages; and is a dead man walking in the post.

He stays; we're going down. The old adage of there always 4 worse sides than us doesnt hold true now; i dont think there is. We're shocking; and he's overseeing it. He has to go.....

Diego. Why are "stuck with him"?

Why is he unsackable? Why can he continue to 'manage' us with one of the worst records going; and he's untouchable?

I say balls to that. He's been on borrowed time for ages; and is a dead man walking in the post.

He stays; we're going down. The old adage of there always 4 worse sides than us doesnt hold true now; i dont think there is. We're shocking; and he's overseeing it. He has to go.....

Neither you nor I can get rid of him, so we're stuck with him until he goes.

So you think if Latics had a vacancy nobody would apply?

I'd suggest you'd get 40 applications worth consideration after you've shredded the letters from the crackpots.

You'd then easily get a short list of a dozen or so with a mix of higher experience / lower experience as managers, a couple of seasoned professionals coming to the end of their playing career and others who've been coaching elsewhere but want to step up and o the top job.

I'd also suggest 80% of them would do a better job than Dickov with the same resources.

we'd get applicants, but how many of them would get some discipline, have a plan, and instantly enforce that on the club? that's what we need right now, and if we're not going to get that we're going to have to stick with Dickov and we'll stumble to just avoid relegation. Either way, he'll be gone in the summer.

Corney wants to stick by Dickov, and it probably won't get much better until it finally gets too much for him. Still struggle to think of many people who could improve the club long term though, and that's why it'll be a risk to get rid of Dickov.