Stevenage - Starting XI

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting some changes but maybe not that many. As we'll be playing Saturday & Tuesday for a while then some sort of rotation is very sensible. It also keeps the others involved and gives them a chance to stake claims for other games and obviously TP & PG will know what the player's fitness and focus levels are better than anyone else. As a side note, if rotating the team like this pays off in terms of points, it would make PDs comments today seem a bit wide of the mark.

We slated Dickov for being rigid in team selection, so at least we cannot say the same of Philliskirk...a bit worrying though, seeing as he stated that Stevenage have not been watched, due to a lack of staff available at Latics. However, Stevenage will have had latics watched but will now be up against a different team.

I am confident that if it starts to backfire, the relevant changes will be made by Philliskirk.

instead of tp you lot should pick the team lol. against mkdons he changed the team to match up and beat mkdons. when they put new player with fresh legs against croft who was tiring he subbed croft to counter there move. his subs and tactics against everton where spot on and if we would have scored in the 80th minute we probably would have won.

maybe some players have knocks. either way come on oldham and KTF

Plus some of those lads put a shift in on Saturday, Baxter over stretched his groin in the dying stages and others may even not be quite in the right state of mind this game (thinking of Bouzanis) plus it gives Cisak a chance to stake his claim and put pressure on. I'd have kept Brown in but he definitely put a shift in and took a few kicks.

Risky but in some ways "The Caretaker" may have had no choice.

I have only just seen the team and we were already one down so this could be seen as being able to give a view in hindsight but I'm staggered by this selection. The only one I can see that makes any kind of sense is Smith in for Iwelumo. Byrne possibly but at CB not at RB for Brown who gave his most accomplished performance yet on Saturday. Definitely looks like he's prepared to lose tonight and bank all on Saturday. I thought we had a chance tonight as Stevenage have a home record almost as bad as ours and (I think) have lost 4 from the last 5. However there are 81 minutes to go and TP knows a damned sight more thant me about it as he has shown already. So KTF and COYB (and fingers crossed)

There's a well established 'rule' in football.....

You don't change a winning team (except for injuries & suspensions - and neither of those would seem to apply tonight).

The half-time stats don't make for good reading - a 1-0 scoreline; 60/40 posession & 2:1 shot ratio in favour of the home side would suggest the changes haven't worked.

Problem for TP now is whether to persevere (& risk more of the same) or change again.

I have only just seen the team and we were already one down so this could be seen as being able to give a view in hindsight but I'm staggered by this selection. The only one I can see that makes any kind of sense is Smith in for Iwelumo. Byrne possibly but at CB not at RB for Brown who gave his most accomplished performance yet on Saturday. Definitely looks like he's prepared to lose tonight and bank all on Saturday. I thought we had a chance tonight as Stevenage have a home record almost as bad as ours and (I think) have lost 4 from the last 5. However there are 81 minutes to go and TP knows a damned sight more thant me about it as he has shown already. So KTF and COYB (and fingers crossed)

and another thing. I can't believe he's playing Furman instead of Wes or Baxter......