Just back from Stevenage

First Half was dire, thought Alex may have got across better for the goal, will have to see again, although it came after a couple of errors around our box. Alex quickly made up for the 'error' by making a fabulous stop, that in truth would have probably been game over. Grew into it and Smith headed over from a good position, Byrne deflected a header onto the bar but that was it in the first-half, we wee lethargic and seemed to be lacking in ideas.

Second Half, another tweak from TP, bringing Wes on. Suddenly first to everything, we catch Stevenage cold with a smart move that sees Furman drive across Day to level. From then on Latics were all over them, and it was no surprise when Tarky bravely headed in from a corner to seal the points. Second Half never in any danger, apart from a few balls Alex had to either drop on or keep hold of, the home side looked clueless in how to counteract our smart fluid attacking tempo.

Three well deserved points and out of that dreaded drop zone, only negatives for me were the injuries picked up and Simpson's poor showing.

Cisak - Iffy goal? One Fabulous save, little to do after half-time 6

Byrne - Does what he does, but offers nothing going forward 6

Tarky - Bit of a mistake for the goal, but looking more and more assured. Vocal and a vital goal. Standing up a lot more rather than diving in 7

M'Voto - Getting back to his best my MOM 8

Grounds - Steady display 6

Croft - Another high work rate from Crofty, still going strong at the end leading breakaways 7

Furman - Poor in the 1st half, nothing offensive from him. 2nd Half pushed on and scored a good goal 6

Winchester - Have to say he looked a bit lightweight tonight, dallied a bit too much but the lack of runners was probably the cause. Left the ground in a spcaeboot and on crutches 5

Simpson - A big disappointment, I can handle him being played out of position but lacked effort. Marginally better after half time but bringing very little to the table this season - Cup games apart. 4

Smith - Usual fayre from Smithy, put himself about, a lot more work on the ground tonight but often the strikers were feeding off scraps 6

Barnard - Again worked hard, often isolated in the first half, much better second half and really should have made it 3-1 when clean through in injury time 6

Subs:

Wes for Winchester - Allowed Furman license to roam, subbed though with a muscle strain by the look of it 7

Brown for Byrne - Another knock for Byrne, Brown looked assured - the improvement since Walsall is remarkable 6

Baxter for Wes - Probed us forward, rarely gives anything away 6

Edited by oafcprozac

JYM got drawn to the ball and therefore out of position just the once that I saw last night, he didn't give a FK away though.

What I did notice though and I did touch on it in my brief summary, was Tarky seems to stay on his feet a lot more and bit by bit is developing into a decent Centre Half. If I could I would build a team around him if youth is our way forward. He's always had potential but didn't seem to be learning yet his development since the start of the season has risen markedly. What I like about Tarky is he'll make a mistake, but they're always honest ones and he never lets his head drop anymore and gets stuck back in. Only he would have scored that winning goal imho.

Edited by oafcprozac

What I like about Tarky is he'll make a mistake, but they're always honest ones and he never lets his head drop anymore and gets stuck back in.

What I found interesting last Saturday against MK was that when M'voto scored shortly after Grounds and Tarky had had a small on field bust up following their goal was that Iwelumo grabbed Tarky as they were walking back to the middle, put his arm around him, pointed to Grounds and then made a gesture to Tarky as if to say 'calm down'. I'd imagine he was saying we were back in front, put it behind him and get on with the game. From that point on he was faultless.