Matt Smith

Just wanted to know your thoughts on what you guys think.......

My dad knows a employee of the club (i wont mention name), and my dad saw this person today and was talking about matt smith and his goals for the FA Cup this year. My dads not a football fan, but im a football fan and is always interested to see in how latics are doing and looks out for results. However my dad thinks oldham should get matt smith tied down on a longer contract for what hes done in the FA Cup and said that to the Source at latics. He said Matt Smith wont be here next season, he will definatley be leaving in the summer.

I hope he doesnt leave personally, i havent been too many games this season but from what ive seen i think he deserves a chance especially with his fa cup exploits.

Thoughts.......

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would absolutely love him to stay as he has improved exponentially and could be a real threat to defences in our league. Not just physically but psychologically with most of them aware of his prowess in the cup appearances.

He's been brilliant not just in the cup but the league as well since around December time.

He won't be short of offers because of the publicity he's receieved over his FA Cup goals unfortunately but he won't make it in any other league in my opinion, for the moment anyway.

He'd be wise to stay with us for footballing reason but I could understand if he tried to better himself and his wage packet at a Championship or top League 1 club.

Gave us some incredible memories nonetheless but you'd suspect that a little bit of extra scouting from clubs, especially if they viewed his first 18 months would probably reveal enough about his ability to restrain from offering him a deal - but sometimes there's no thought process in football.

Edited by NewBlue

Completely mindless and moronic post. Opinion and all. You must be the sole survivor of people that don't rate him.

Bloke is a trier, lacks any awareness or technical ability though.

Had a run in the team through December and January and we haven't played worse all season.

Many Premiership managers will now be thinking of using Mat Smith as a 'Plan B', especially in Europe, even Barcelona's defenders wouldn't know how to cope with him as normally they don't come up against that type of player.

Matt Smith heading the winner in a Champions League Cup Final - you saw it here first.

Even if he was terrible I will always love him for his goals this season! How many as he got this season in all comps? 8?

As Prozac and I keep saying, it's the total number minutes on the pitch divided by the number of goals scored that are a true reflection, not the number of appearances divided by goals.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, but did you see that takedown a pass across the park to the right wing last night?

Some people are blinkered to only what they want to see.

And the great lay off from his chest...I think he's been watching Steve Howard, the master of that technique.

Matt Smith for me has improved massively (i havent seen loads), but considering what hes made for himself in the last few matches, plus his goals in the FA Cup, plus his important goals against sheffield united, and i think also against chesterfield last season. Hes been a very useful and important player at times so i think he deserves a chance

I didn't rate him because he is slow with a poor touch and got knocked off the ball too easily.

Then we learned how best to play him and he toughened up and started to put himself about.

Also I saw Chris Iwelumo and realised what a slow player with no touch that isn't willing to work looked like and suddenly Matt Smith didn't look all that bad.

Completely mindless and moronic post. Opinion and all. You must be the sole survivor of people that don't rate him.

Nope, one still here too!

Well, I still say he's just very limited.

Play to his strenghs, and give him good service for him to run onto and attempt to get a head on and he'll cause a few problems. But - if that service drops and he has to compete for balls from a standing jump or worse, a ball to feet - and your left with a very; very average player.

As i voted on the t'other thread that was on here not long ago, imo still worth anthor deal on the right terms- 1 year with option maybe.

But the Matt Smith love in that's essentially sprung from banging abkut Coates and Skertl and from 4 goals is just a bit too over the top for me

The problem for Smith if he moves is the same problem that he has had here? Having the chance to prove himself. If Barnard had been signed before the Liverpool match, chances are most people would still want rid. If he moves, will he be given the chance to play regularly which I think he needs. If we want him to stay, we should promise him he will get a chance to play football on a regular basis. I believe he will score goals and he will probably get a good move in the future. Stepping forward now may be a step back.