Corney: If Players don't want it, even Mourinho couldn't save us

It's not a reply that should be taken to heart by the majority, who rightly just want the best for the club. It's a response to those who actively want Corney out. The ones who seem to think he's got a bottomless pit of money that he just doesn't want to spend. The ones who still think he's going to sell the ground and do us over in the worst drawn out property deal in history.

He's not perfect, he has made many mistakes, the silence over the manager's position being one of them in my opinion, but right now he is the thin line between survival and oblivion. People should be very careful what they wish for.

Hear hear - people have short memories. Who else is going to buy the club as it currently stands? I for one can't fault him for the effort he's put in - most others would have buggered off as a result of the staduim fiasco. Time to show him a bit of support rather than getting on his back. And yes, it would be nice to hear about the managers position, but i for one would prefer him to take his time and get somebody who's right for the club rather than make a quick decision and end up with penny Mark II.

I presume that's a reply to me

Don't flatter yersel, sunshine.

1.) If you can't reply without swearing it kind of makes my point.

Oh :censored: off, precious.

2.) Quite frankly you talk nonsense, Blitz and Gazal did one but the club still owes them money, they still own the land but the club has the right to play on it due to a 10 year covenant, which probably hasn't got long to run. All 3 of the landlords were not going to jump ship at once as its not in their interests to do so. Someone needed to mind the shop, no sensible man lets someone they don't trust keep watch over a multi-million pound bit of their multi-million pound fortune. (That use of multi-million pound is deliberate, BTW).

Bollocks.

Corney is the caretaker and despite supposedly making a profit last season the club went begging for volunteers to maintain the stands and gave very little in return. Aside from Neil Joy, none of the staff have much experience, we have a radio DJ and a young woman barely out of university (where judging by her twitter she did a PGCE) running our marketing, our accountant is in her 20s. Corney regularly moans about the cost of this and that and underplays how much money we made from the cup run. "Clubs are now calling in the loan fees we owe them." We only seem to get players in when we are in danger of being relegated; eventually that is not going to work. Oldham Athletic is up for sale, great here's £1 that ought to cover it. The land is worth £0 to Oldham Athletic because the landlords moved it to a new company, but despite this the club still pays the taxes and what not on the land (which won't give our books the best look). All this and more, (if you note I barely covered anything about the players yet, but I realise this post is long enough already) makes me think Corney is the man who has got his lifeboat all set and is going to jump ship at the moment it is doomed to sink but hasn't just yet.

More bollocks.

The club is in a state, yes. But open your :censored:ing eyes - the majority of lower league clubs are in a much worse state.

And let's try to look at this multi million pound investment shall we?

By a conservative estimate, Blitz, Gazaal and Corney have, between them, spent somewhere around 15 million pounds, a sizeable chunk of that very early on. Nearly a decade later, their "investment" is worth what? Well, the club's worth :censored: all, so it's down to the land ... even if it had planning for 1000 houses (which it doesn't) I'd be amazed if it went for more than 2 million.

Even an accountant in their 20s could work out that equates to a net loss of 13 million pounds. Some :censored:ing investment.

If Corney does leave it will be because he's had enough and he's run out of money. There is no huge stash of cash for him to run to the hills with. There are no assets to strip.

I could go on but I'd be wasting my time.

Don't flatter yersel, sunshine.

Oh :censored: off, precious.

Bollocks.

More bollocks.

The club is in a state, yes. But open your :censored:ing eyes - the majority of lower league clubs are in a much worse state.

And let's try to look at this multi million pound investment shall we?

By a conservative estimate, Blitz, Gazaal and Corney have, between them, spent somewhere around 15 million pounds, a sizeable chunk of that very early on. Nearly a decade later, their "investment" is worth what? Well, the club's worth :censored: all, so it's down to the land ... even if it had planning for 1000 houses (which it doesn't) I'd be amazed if it went for more than 2 million.

Even an accountant in their 20s could work out that equates to a net loss of 13 million pounds. Some :censored:ing investment.

If Corney does leave it will be because he's had enough and he's run out of money. There is no huge stash of cash for him to run to the hills with. There are no assets to strip.

I could go on but I'd be wasting my time.

Where in my post did I use the word investment, it's not a :censored: investment. See how I did that it's not :censored: hard now less of the swearing; this board has kids reading it.

Corney is not looking after the investment he is making sure the club doesn't bankrupt the other two. I do wander how your conservative estimate has the landlords spent £15 million as they spent £4/5 million on the club and £3 million on the land. Where's the other £7/8 million clever clogs?

There are still plenty who seem to think it is an investment and that somehow they will walk away richer than when they arrived 9 years ago.

You do at least realise some of the financial truths.

I may be perceived to be one of those people but I'm not stupid enough to believe they'll walk off with a stack of cash. That doesn't mean that I don't think that Corney and, in the background, Blitz and Gazal have lost interest in the club and its fortunes and are, to put it simply, trying to withdraw whilst recouping as much as possible, through the property aspect. This slow process may well see the club go down the pan anyway, especially if we drop this season.

Just keeping the place running for 9 years. In fact that has probably cost a good deal more than £7/8 million.

Wouldn't running costs come under the club budget, a budget they made profit on last season and will do again this season. Not to mention all the free labour they had in the summer.

The sad fact of the matter is even if they had left their money in the banks for the banks to invest they wouldn't have made any money in the last few years (and would probably have lost some). Neither would they if they had invested in property, which have been two of the usual ways for the rich to get richer in the past 30 years.

The club has HAD to break even on operating costs over the past two years because there is no money to fund a shortfall.

When they took over, the incumbent costs alone were costing 10s of thousands a week and it took a few years to bring that down. That was the key factor when Blitz and Gazaal stepped back - they decided they could no longer put 10 grand a week into the running costs of the club.

PD wanted to sign Leon Clarke, the same Leon Clarke is top scorer in this league despite not playing in it in December and August and a bit of January.

SC said he was too expensive, funny how Scunny managed to pay for him and his goal at BP might be the difference between the two sides come April 28th. If we go down (note I don't think we will) it would have been worth paying Clarke's wages for 2 seasons nevermind 1 in order to stay up.

Derbyshire could have played maybe 1 more game if PD hadn't renewed his loan when he did, as he would have missed a game anyway in order to renew so he could play on Boxing Day. If SC had loaned Clarke in August we wouldn't have needed to loan Derbyshire and Barnard.

SC keeps saying he is looking for a new buyer/investor. What person selling anything keeps releasing very public statements about how expensive something that they are trying to sell is to run.

One of the few good things I can say about SC is he isn't Ian Hill, what exactly does he do/contribute to the club.

So because he was out of our budget it's Corney's fault? Charlton wanted a fee & whatever % of his wages to be paid, perhaps it was an even bigger risk with Clarke being known as being a bit of a trouble maker? Of course we could of just paid whatever Charlton wanted & his wages, gone over budget and then be hit with a transfer embargo for spending more than 65% of our turnover on wages.

Whatever people say about Corney, one thing that he always does is back his manager the best that he can in the transfer market.

So because he was out of our budget it's Corney's fault? Charlton wanted a fee & whatever % of his wages to be paid, perhaps it was an even bigger risk with Clarke being known as being a bit of a trouble maker? Of course we could of just paid whatever Charlton wanted & his wages, gone over budget and then be hit with a transfer embargo for spending more than 65% of our turnover on wages.

Whatever people say about Corney, one thing that he always does is back his manager the best that he can in the transfer market.

So he was out of our budget but we have a budget around 12th best in the league and he was within Scunny's budget the moment the loan window re-opened?

If we had been quicker on the draw we could have loaned him and then loaned someone else for the Dec- 31st Jan period when we were relying on Matt Smith to get us goals playing up front on his own.

Corney is being reactive in the transfer market and it could still cost us. He needs to be more pro-active. The money was there for Derbyshire and Barnard but strangely not for Clarke.

Edited by rudemedic

Corney is being reactive in the transfer market and it could still cost us. He needs to be more pro-active. The money was there for Derbyshire and Barnard but strangely not for Clarke.

Agree with this part. BUT We paid £2500 p/w for Derbyshire, whereas Clarke would have cost much more. Barnard came in with the Libpool cash.

I am not a fan of Corney at all but I don't agree with the conspiracy of asset striping or property deals. I think TTA came in with a plan to get us promoted and create a self-sufficient club in Oldham that could pay for itself in The Championship.

The plan didn't work and two have them have gone and I feel Corney is staying because he enjoys being the big man and running a football club (into the ground IMO!)

Not all businessmen take on clubs for profit, I think a lot of them run football clubs as a hobby, especially in the lower leagues where there is no TV money. Doesn't mean asset stripping doesnt happen but I don't think it was the original intention with our owners.

Wouldn't running costs come under the club budget, a budget they made profit on last season and will do again this season. Not to mention all the free labour they had in the summer.

The sad fact of the matter is even if they had left their money in the banks for the banks to invest they wouldn't have made any money in the last few years (and would probably have lost some). Neither would they if they had invested in property, which have been two of the usual ways for the rich to get richer in the past 30 years.

Don’t have the accounts for last year but we made an amazing £8k profit I believe, maybe more this season.

Accounts for 2008 show a loss of £414k, 2010 loss of £784k.

Net liabilities in 2010 rose to £5.4m (seemingly in line with the year on year losses made) and have been covered by the shareholders.

In terms of investment, stick £5m on property in 2003 in the right places and you could have had £15m in 2008. Even better if invested in London or Dubai.

Just because the UK banks are rubbish, doesn’t mean that there isn’t ways to make money especially if you have money. What was it, 240 new billionaires created this year.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

So he was out of our budget but we have a budget around 12th best in the league and he was within Scunny's budget the moment the loan window re-opened?

If we had been quicker on the draw we could have loaned him and then loaned someone else for the Dec- 31st Jan period when we were relying on Matt Smith to get us goals playing up front on his own.

We tried signing him all through July, but Charlton wanted a fee & then whatever Clarke's wages which was clearly out of our budget. We moved onto other targets which ended up with Slew being signed. Clarke joined Scunny on 7th September, Charlton probably realised they wouldn't get a fee etc so lowered their demands. Week later we found out Slew was out for up to 12 weeks, managed to get him of the wage book so that money went onto Derbyshire.

We was relying on Smith in January because Dickov was waiting for Derbyshire to make a decision. Can't see how any of that has been Corney's fault?