The Lee Johnson Appreciation Thread

My impression of Lee Johnson is that he is a geek of Football Coaching, the same as Brain Cox is a geek of Astrophysics. He has lived it and studied it for nigh on 20yrs.

He watched us for half a dozen games before his interview and then told Corney what was wrong and precisely how he would improve it.

He also turned up at interview with a list as long as your arm, of players who would be out of contract in the summer.

He persuaded Corney to go for Smith even before he was officially appointed.

He also arrived at interview with a promise that there is no way he will award a permanent contract to a player without first vetting them HIMSELF PERSONALLY to make sure they had the right skills, mentality, and social background that would include their social networking status.

It’s what people with ambition do to be the very best they can that stands them apart from the money grabbers and jobless journeymen that are on the circuit.

Dickov, also talked a good game but without substance. Johnson is backing it up with personally gathered data, sought input and methods from bigger clubs at his own expense. He studied sports science so as to cover all aspects of our high tempo game.

He met the fans face to face on a day that he could barely have had time for a pee. WHY? Because he absolutely knew that he had all the answers and wanted them to know.

Can he transfer his knowledge and enthusiasm to a group of young professional footballers? I was sceptical on his appointment because I knew nothing about him. On listening to him on and in the media I quickly realised he was unique. I am expecting the players to do the same. They would be stupid and dispensable if they didn’t want to try. Tuesday night was a positive sign, with some things he had changed welcomed by players and fans.

Johnson was proud and excited on Tuesday night to be representing Oldham Athletic. And he dressed to suit.

I think he will comfortably keep us up (by more than 3pts) and he won’t be really appreciated until the summer and into pre-season.

It’s only my opinion, but I feel better for having said it

Edited by mikeroyboy

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more I read and hear from LJ the more impressed I am. Before the appointment was officially announced I was confident the club were making the right decision, ok only time will tell if he is the right man for the club, but it easy to see why SC was won over by him. I have never been so optomistic about our future as now. Perhaps my optomism is a result of wanting to break away from the recent history of the teams playing performances (cup performances excepted). I hope the weather does not put paid to Saturdays game because it is a nailed on 3 points and another 3 goals.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to BP Lee.

A young hungry manager wanting to learn his new job and become the best in the business at it. Giving the club the uniqueness of the youngest manager in the football league at the same time.

If you read his twitter he has quite a few football connections, maybe not the best, but a starting point. If his new job he'll learn to pick up contacts and ultimately have the best contact list in a few years.

I don't doubt for a minute he will take us down, this squad is good enough, and he must have something about him to have passed his interview. Scunthorpe are just 2 above us and have one almighty run in. We'll be fine this season.

Then it leaves Lee with a fresh summer to get rid of all the rubbish here and bring in a fresh young hungry squad of his own, that we can work with, towards a successful top half finish next season.

I'd hope he'll bring in an experienced head beside him, to help him learn his new job role, but he must have something about him to have got the job.

Its a fresh new dawn for OAFC and i'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

I was correct with this :smoking: so please do not doubt my sources.