The End Is Near?

The major stumbling block is that the big European clubs don't really want a European League outside of the Champions League.

United, Madrid, Barca, Munich etc, are all happy being top dogs in their own country. Its more lucrative winning/challenging for domestic trophies every year and playing in the Champions League than it would be if they all only played in one European League in which only one of them can win.

What they all want is to make sure the governing bodies always know that them breaking away is an option, so they can use that as leverage to gain more influence, and therefore more money.

If you look at United, since the PL invented football they have won the league at a better rate than every other year. TV revenues increase with every deal, and they get the biggest share of that. And they are in the Champions League every year, so rake in the cash from that. Why would they want that to end?

I've never looked at it that way before, I'm glad they got rid of the G-14. Though it still worrys me how the top clubs have that much of an influence on the game, some of them are more than just Football clubs, they're Multi-National corporations and they can charge what they want for ticket prices, they can sign players so that rival teams won't play them and the trophies seem to be passed around the same group of clubs. Something needs to be done so that the brand is the sport itself rather various individual clubs

Edited by Tommy_Fent

I've never looked at it that way before, I'm glad they got rid of the G-14. Though it still worrys me how the top clubs have that much of an influence on the game, some of them are more than just Football clubs, they're Multi-National corporations and they can charge what they want for ticket prices, they can sign players so that rival teams won't play them and the trophies seem to be passed around the same group of clubs. Something needs to be done so that the brand is the sport itself rather various individual clubs

Its funny that the american franchise and draft system is often ridiculed but doesn't it promote a level playing field? I wonder if one day the top teams in Europe will work in a similar fashion with a European superleague and the domestic leagues will turn into something similar to the college system?

Its funny that the american franchise and draft system is often ridiculed but doesn't it promote a level playing field? I wonder if one day the top teams in Europe will work in a similar fashion with a European superleague and the domestic leagues will turn into something similar to the college system?

Isn't it that the profits go to the league governing body who give each team an even budget to work with, with the affiliate/college teams providing the youth?

Are there any competitive professional leagues outside of the U.S.? I can't see how that system could work for the global sport of football.

Are there any competitive professional leagues outside of the U.S.? I can't see how that system could work for the global sport of football.

There's one; in Canada.

The system works as it relies on a regular year-on-year stream of 200-300 collegiate players (out of around 10,000 eligible) coming through the hugely popular College game, to play in the NFL. Soccer does not, and probably will not, have this in place (soccer's current centres of excellence and scouting systems are inferior). One would probably only seen the draft system ridiculed by those who do not understand the game or the Draft selection process. The Draft Combine itself is an arduous medical, physical and mental programme, testing the ability of prospective players; not many physical field sports require an 60 minute Wonderlic aptitude test.

There's one; in Canada.

The system works as it relies on a regular year-on-year stream of 200-300 collegiate players (out of around 10,000 eligible) coming through the hugely popular College game, to play in the NFL. Soccer does not, and probably will not, have this in place (soccer's current centres of excellence and scouting systems are inferior). One would probably only seen the draft system ridiculed by those who do not understand the game or the Draft selection process. The Draft Combine itself is an arduous medical, physical and mental programme, testing the ability of prospective players; not many physical field sports require an 60 minute Wonderlic aptitude test.

That sums it up perfectly, completely different animals.

BTW I saw Wonderlic Aptitude Test at the Academy last year, they were awesome. :icon_peace:

That sums it up perfectly, completely different animals.

BTW I saw Wonderlic Aptitude Test at the Academy last year, they were awesome. :icon_peace:

Completely different. Association Football, schools, universities would have to change their entire programme from the bottom-up. It's not going to change.

Completely different. Association Football, schools, universities would have to change their entire programme from the bottom-up. It's not going to change.

Consolidating and franchising on the other hand, is something that would work - makes business sense, and will probably happen a lot more in the future than it already has....

Consolidating - Manchester North End revisited?

Sure it's not remotely popular, but who knows? Manchester North End failed to take it to the next step after merger, which is move it away like MK Dons. It's a sure-fire way of working around the 'uncooperative' fans of the old clubs, problem being a small island is there's not much fresh catchment left - North Wales, Cumbria, Norfolk to an extent. It's out there I know - alternatively downsize and compete at a lower level - which would mean building up the achievements to suit. I'm sure the Wrexham fans were pretty happy with their Trophy win on Sunday - would Oldham fans like their team to be big favourites for a trophy that would see them achieve at a lower level? Maybe Oldham would find it hard, and it would be another struggle at a lower level.

Or is it better to simply tread water and do nothing for an eternity, beating teams like Liverpool every 6 or 7 years. Is this Oldham's new cup final, is this going to be the biggest thing that Latics can hope for?

I can assume that's what's going to happen, nothing will change and other things develop around them (and teams like them) - reacting to the situation they find themselves in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/21940375

If that's the case now then I wouldn't be surprised to see things only getting worse from now on. Is there anything the Football League can do to readdress the balance?

The FL are looking at whether they can restrict the normal payment to the clubs who recieve parachute payments and spread the difference around the rest of the clubs. Also another option is to have a hard salary cap, say based on the turnover of the other clubs.