Dogs

I've always liked dogs. I've never owned one though. I've never believed that I could commit the time needed to care for an animal like that.

What happened in Atherton this week is quite horrible.

So should some sort of dog licensing be introduced for breeders and owners?

Should there be limits on the number of dogs cared for by the same owner?

How is it possible for somebody too ill to work, so needing state handouts, to care for five dogs and five kids adequately?

Or is this just one of those things that happens once in a blue moon? Dreadful for those affected, but just a million to one event that couldn't be predicted?

What do you think?

Dog licences should be required for certain breeds of dog and owners made liable for situations where their dogs have been made dangerous by way of their environment.

You can not be allowed to have four dogs with the potential to become dangerous living in the same room and not bear the responsibility for the tragic consequences if they materialise.

Edited by jsslatic

Heard some daft bint on 5Live yesterday vehmently appealing for every dog to be muzzled. Which is :censored:ing preposterous in the extreme.

The issue is with ownership, clearly. It's the same breeds which seem to be embroiled in these awful tradgedies usually because of poor ownership. Staffies, Bull-Mastiffs, Rotweillers - They're gorgeous dogs in the right care and with plenty of exercise. Couped up in a council house, full of energy and frustration isn't the way to care for a dog. People like this ought to be banned from owning them - you'd see a huge fall in incidents with tougher restrictions on ownership of certain breeds.

I think the main problem will be enforcement. If not enforced, the same people will continue looking after dogs in the same manner and the responsible ones will do as they do now. If enforced, the irresponsible owners will probably end up dumping thier dogs and they will potentially have to be put down.

Though, I think some form of regulation should be brought in.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Guest Scratch2000uk

I meant the dangerous dogs but why not Both? especially if they happen to live on a council estate,.......I'll bite my lip.

Over freaking reaction as usual in the media the poor kid is a victim of poor owners. But why should responsible owners be punished by a fee based system it wont stop incidents like this one. Our two dogs are micro chipped (think all responsible breeders do it) , both have discs and collars (legal requirement many ignore this big fine for no disk), always on leads unless on own property or land. Both are insured fully £39.00 a month each covering insurance for health and 3rd party. Not a lot else you can do.....oh wait ....give them two proper walks a day, feed them properly and ensure in good health. It aint cheap.

So in answer to the OP, they are likely to be fighting dogs, underfed, possibly not been fixed so can breed, just idiot owners who should be slaughtered. Rumours about the girl entering and eating a pie if true and dogs gone for her as hungry? Sad set of circumstances but enough regulations if the powers chose to use them. Bet none had collars with ID Tags. Bet never walked fully. Seen perfectly good dogs that are stir crazy, aggressive as dont get excercise and have to be put down. The pack mentality kicks in as the owners not the boss. Its not rocket science. ANY dog has potential to harm if not cared for but owning four and five without the finance to back it is ridiculous.

This with a Bushmills chaser. Cheers

On a slightly separate note, it must cost a bloody fortune to keep dogs that size. How much are you talking just for food?

I know someone that has 2 Bull Mastifs, the male weighs 13.5 stone and the female 12, they go through a 25kg bag of food per week, I'd say approx £50 IF they are being fed correctly.

We have a Staffy and a Jack Russell and they cost less than a tenner.

The excercise issue is the biggest thing if you pen big dogs in a tiny house/flat its just cruel.

Quite right. Our chocolate labrador gets a 3 mile walk every day. If there's a day where I can't get a walk in, she's going loopy the next night so you can begin to understand what a bull terrier or mastiff is like after 4 or 5 days without a reasonable walk.

I'm really extreme on dogs. I appreciate the good work they do for the blind, emergency services, farms etc. But I would honestly ban all dogs. They're either a status symbol or for somebody with something missing in their life. Cannot see the point in nonworking dogs.

Oh and I'm sick of seeing dog :censored: all over when I'm out running. Clean it up you disgrace. And putting it in a tied plastic bag and throwing it is not cleaning up.

I have a phobia of Dogs. It's a pretty bad fear to be honest. One of my best mate's has a beagle and I've never been to his house having known him for 16 years. It's that bad. Reading what happened to that girl is my biggest fear in life made real.

Some dogs have been bred over 1000's of years to hunt and fight. That amount of evolution wont be sorted out by a "decent owner".

I have pretty extreme views on dogs due to my fear, I appreciate that - I'd ban all of them, but certain dogs shouldn't be allowed. I'll never except that. If 2/3 breeds continually kill then why take the risk?

Oh and I'm sick of seeing dog :censored: all over when I'm out running. Clean it up you disgrace. And putting it in a tied plastic bag and throwing it is not cleaning up.

I hear you brother, get's on my nerves. And my Saucony's.

Speaking of dog poo I live next door to a school and if I had £1 for everytime I'd seen someone let their dog poo in the long jump pit. I'd be able to buy a season ticket.

It's completely unsanitary and poses a significant health risk. I'm tempted to start taking pictures.

@ pukka - I am alright with dogs. I actually don't mind them as animals, despite my strong/extreme views, but aggressive dogs do freak me out a bit. Problem is, they can actually sense your fear, so they'll try to dominate you once they've picked up on your fear.

@ o4u - ha ha. He walked into that.

@ rummy - Nearly bought some this week actually after some excellent reviews, but taken a leap of faith and bought some Adidas energy boost.