What does Matt Smith bring to the table?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I at last be a smart arse and say I've consistantly said Smith will always score if he is given the type of service he needs. Forget through balls on the floor, swing in some decent crosses and he'll score with his head. That said he can also strike a decent shot but needs space to do that.

You got that one right Lags, that shot today looked mighty fine from behind the net.

Yes he wins a few headers but when he does the ball hardly ever goes to one of ours, he is terrible on the deck and his movement and pace is non existent.

I can't see why LJ keeps bringing him on.

So have you bleedin' well worked it out yet?

Edited by opinions4u

I've been won over. He's limited in terms of an all round game and I don't reckon he's Championship quality (at the moment), that said, he proved he was a goal scorer by netting daft amounts at non-league and we all hoped that skill of right time, right place, would come out a fair few leagues higher. It's taken a while but it has. He's improved and is still improving and I now reckon he could net 15-20 goals at this level next season. Looks like he's off and it could be a big loss.

Hope Johnson has a word and Smith buys into what he's doing and signs.

Any further thoughts?

I'll give you that, was really impressed with him today.

Everything I know is telling me he isn't a great footballer ...............BUT

he gives a toss and if you analyse it, he's scored 3 goals in the last 3 games, thus keeping us up and gave us two great memories against the scousers, so fair play to the lad, was also impressed that when asked about moving to another club next season he said he wasn't interested and was concentrating on Oldham only as we gave him his chance.

Having said that, i'm extremely excited...well interested to see who Johnson brings in, surely Doctor Who will take his chance in the Championship?????

Edited by alex_balls

I'm really disappointed on how we've managed Matt Smith. When he arrived, he had a very decent track record albeit at lower level but he had huge potential and we messed it up by not giving him ample time on he pitch. He needed the games to build his confidence and Dickov failed him on this.

He could have become a great player for us; prolific, sending us up the league and playing for us in the Championship. Dare I say it possibly a seven figure sale had he had the time and opportunity.

Alas others have saw what we failed to see and our loss will be their gain.

I'll give you that, was really impressed with him today.

Everything I know is telling me he isn't a great footballer ...............BUT

he gives a toss and if you analyse it, he's scored 3 goals in the last 3 games, thus keeping us up and gave us two great memories against the scousers, so fair play to the lad, was also impressed that when asked about moving to another club next season he said he wasn't interested and was concentrating on Oldham only as we gave him his chance.

Having said that, i'm extremely excited...well interested to see who Johnson brings in, surely Doctor Who will take his chance in the Championship?????