• David Best
    • Chris Ogden
    • John Platt
    • Andy Goram
    • Jon Hallworth
    • Paul Gerrard
    • Gary Kelly
    • Les Pogliacomi

I remember Andy Goram first game for us - pre season playing Chaderton at Chaderton fc ground

As he walked towards his goal to begin the warm up I just asked him 'who the hell are you' ?

'Andy Goram and don't you ever forget it' he replied smiling .... and I never have. Awesome :OASISscarf:

Remember when we used to sing "ENGLAND'S NUMBER 1" for a few years, then he pledged his allegiance to Scotland and the chant next week was "Scotland's NUMBER 1" :first:

Whilst as a kid and as you can probably guess I modelled myself on Harry Dowd, the best keeper ever to wear the green shirt has to be Andy Goram 1st time round.

I saw Dave Best only briefly when I was a kid and he was top notch. Frizz brought in Dowd and in my eyes he was different class despite his best years being behind him. He never let us down and it was only a broken finger at Port Vale on New Year's Day 1974 that brought Chris Ogden to the fore. Whilst Ogden was more than decent John Platt was even better and I'm sure would have gone on to better things had it not been for a broken leg suffered in a pre-season Anglo Scottish cup game against Sheffield United.

BUT Goram was a masterclass of goalkeeping. By far the best we have ever had. 1 on 1, and with the way we defended under Joe there were plenty of those situations, he was the best and would be worth at least 10 points and probably 15 points a season. People said he was small for a keeper, but he was huge in stature and for me if he had chosen England, would have held the shirt for years.

I seem to recall that Harry Dowd broke his finger at Blackburn,with Keith Bebbington going in goal in 1971 as well as in the sixties (1968?) for citeh. Also the Goram who returned in 2002 was at least twice the player he was when he left 15 years earlier.(and I don't mean in terms of ability!!)

Edited by owdumer