Latics 0-1 Walsall: Post match reaction

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trend was set in the first minite with a lazy crossfield pass by Grounds.

What disturbed me was the lack of passion shown by the Latics coaching staff, with Murray hands in pocket throughout the match looking bemused by it all.

Early days, Alec1954 loves a moan , let's all keep behind the team please .

Peterborough away should be fun . . .

I will get behind the team when they show some willingness to win the ball.(Tarkowski the exception).

Edited by BP1960

Walsall started off on the front foot but we should have had a penalty when their defender's hand blocked Montaño's shot with a star fish impression.

Their goal was poor from us on the left and then the piss poor efforts to clear.

Montaño and Dayton were barely in the game and Baxter seemed to be ambling around in midfield without really picking out and passes or making a tackle. Dayton's long range effort was about as close as we got. Rooney's invisible man impression is becoming a worry.

Schmelz replaced Montaño at HT and looked promising but should have scored, missing a similar chance to the one Walsall scored. Tarky had a soft header cleared off the line, their keeper saved well from Korey Smith's shot from wide.

But we were second best. These are the performances we hoped were behind us. We didn't look like we wanted the ball. We didn't look like we knew how to disrupt them when they had the ball. While MacDonald looks a handful there's no chemistry with Rooney up top and JCH is out for a month.

A word for Connor Brown. This lad did okay today, but he is such a one dimensional, slow and underwhelming footballer! And Tarky, next time I say to the bloke next to me how much improved you are please don't slice it into touch.

We were :censored: today. Johnson knows it. More of that and his honeymoon period will end rather abruptly.

Edited by opinions4u

I was wrong to want Byrne in the team. A centrw back an even bigger must now. When rodgers came on why didn't Jose push forward? Very strange. I've also been a fan of Connor but after today he warrants criticism.

Rooney? What is he? Put that one down to match fitness. Badly missed some pace on the shoulder. Really need JCH for Saturday.

I'm usually critical of Tarky but today he was MOM by an absolute MILE. Today wasn't even the old "our defence is :censored:e" it was going forward we were poor.

The tempo was none existent - Was our plan today to simply hoof it up to Rooney all game or did Walsall resort us to doing that?

I've criticised Mellor too but christ when Byrne came on I wanted mellor back to fast - won a few headers but that where he just let their striker dispossess him was just awful.

Smeltz looked okay for a few minutes but thought Rodgers looked Good when he was brought on.

Want the keeper to be more commanding too, looked a bit slow off the mark a couple times and just flailed a hand at a couple of corners with no real assertion - Heard his top attribute was that he was commanding, lets see it

Walsall look a decent side, their defence is really good all big lads and quick

Oxley looked a little shaky when trying to come and collect crosses.

Brown was actually pretty decent today but still a little off going forward.

Mellor again didn't look very good but looked a lot better than Byrne when he came on who was awful.

Tarkowski was excellent and deserved MOM.

Grounds was sound defensively but going forward didn't look too good.

Dayton didn't really do anything and neither did Montano, we didn't use the wings nearly enough and got hardly any service from there until Schmeltz came on.

Baxter needs to be in a more attacking role, quiet today.

Korey Smith played pretty well and was very vocal, looks like a good captain.

Rooney did cock all because, like Derby, got no service apart from on his head again and again.

MacDonald put a lot of effort in but no real end product.

Overall we werent nowhere near fluid enough, and we also played the ball way too much up in the air. It was exactly the same as we used to play under Dickov, not good enough today but Walsall were effective and defended well. Defence needs a serious sorting out and improvements needed for next game or Peterborough will murder us, especially with less people going because of ticket prices etc

Not the game i had thought it would be; from either side.

Our performance just never got going.

We didn't play to our strengths at all really, even when Mellor was on the pitch, we weren't playing our from the back as much as we had been pre-season and in the 1st 2 competitive games. It went completely once Byrne came on (who was feckin' awful)

Baxter has been poor IMO, yep 2 goals vs Stevenage, but both penalties and he nearly missed 1 of those. He needs to be playing 15 yards further up the park if he's to have an effect on the game in the key areas. At times he was 15 yards behind Korey Smith today. He needs to produce more; we're actually carrying him at the moment. He has undoubted ability; he needs to show it again.

Tarky was simply outstanding today; one of the very few to come away from that with their head held high. If anyone who went today still doubts that Tarky cannot play in higher divisions after watching him today; and on Tuesday too, then i give up.

Sidney looks nice & bright in patches in his 45mins, and Anton Rodgers looked nice and neat, tidy and positive in his cameo. But - how unproffesional is it that we as a club cannot even spell his name right on his shirt? I mean "Rogders", FFS, how is that allowed to happen?

I hope also that those who have been calling for Cliff Byrne's inclusion instead of Dave Mellor can now see what those of us who have been saying the opposite have been meaning? Truly a shambolic display from Clifford today, and i have now firmly switched my view from 'he's good to have in & around the sqaud & for doing a job as / when needed' to a resounding 'he needs to go, so his wage can be freed up'. Slow, poor positioning, poor decisions, poor & slow on the ball, and whilst i've already said it once, fecking slooooooow.

Its a work in progress.

We wont be able to fire every signle game.

I've been realistic with my season's predictions (i think?) and today has shown i've been right with that.

We're a million miles away from a promotion side, but there is work that can be done to improve us, and I also think we're a good way off being one of the divisions strugglers.

We need tempo to our game, and to play to our strengths. And, from today; and from Tuesday & last Saturday, we need players like Baxter, MacDonald, Rooney, Dayton, Grounds etx to show more.

Work to do, and this young team & young backroom set-up have some improvements to work on.

I remain in hope it will be done too though...

First I've seen of this new lot and I don't think we were that bad. There's plenty of work to be done, but there's enough encouraging signs. I think once this front six get properly accustomed to each other we could be a force. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

If there's one thing that'll stop me going to home matches though, it's the moaners. It only took them 30 odd minutes to start up today. I'm sick to my back teeth of it in all honesty, it's the same every season.

Edited by JonesyOAFC