Baxter dropped

I can't see Jose replacing JCH after that performance. The problem LJ has now is that Jose may think that he should move on if he's no longer the main man. Maybe he's indicated that already and that's the reason he didn't start.

I think accommodating Baxter regularly in the starting eleven will be a big dilemma for LJ.

LJ said he wanted to build his team around Baxter but I'm not sure that will work.

Whilst his ability is not in question, his work rate certainly is.....he is not a 90 min player and will inevitably drift in and out of games. It's probably the reason he never quite made it at Everton.

I would love him to see out his contract here but I'm not sure he has the engine or desire to play box to box and as we've seen once he loses the ball he's out of the game.

He's a wonderful talent and just the type of player to lift the fans but I'm not sure a place on the bench would be in his best interests at this stage of his career.

If LJ can find a system to be able to benifit from his undoubted talent then fine but it is going to become a real problem and I have a feeling Baxter could well be gone before the transfer window closes.

There's a big chunk of that post which i agree with.

Baxter is a bit of a issue - as on ability alone its a no-brainer, he would walk into the side; any side, at this level. He's a stand out player.

BUT - where do you play him, to get the best out of him, and the team?

In midfield and we're exposed, as whilst he isnt the player to shirk a challenge, he isnt really a box to box midfielder who adds strength to that key area.

In the off the main striker role, and that main striker tends to become isolated as Jose doesnt join up the midfield to the striker as much as he should do.

IMO, to get the best out of him, it needs a front 2, with Jose sat in behind them, being ahead of 4 man midfield.....but that would mean a 3 at the back; a huge risk at L1 level.

Glad i'm not LJ and have this to sort out!!

I think we would be foolish to write Jose off after one decent performance without him.

I thought we looked better on the ball after he came on and if his shot that was heading for the top corner hadn't been saved that would have been goal of the season. He was involved in the three times in the series of passing before it came to him to take his shot.

Baxters quality when in full swing is undoubtable...however he isn't a battler and does look the type that suffers from lazyitis. When up against a tough physical game I think Baxter will revert to impact sub hoping for a spot of magic for when we are up against it.

LJ has multiple options for competition and against the likes of Walsall is when Baxter should shine however he didn't and was rightly dropped.

Nice problem for LJ to have?

There are going to be games where JCH is the better option and others where Baxter is. Some game we will need 2 holding midfielders and others where one will do. There will be games where JCH is either injured, suspended or just not at the races, same for Baxter. This is where LJ earns his money and shuffles the players to keep them keen and fit. It is long old season.