Baxter dropped

Port Vale were very good in midfield, especially first half. JCH bought Rooney space and he got better service.

I think LJ called this big decision right.

im not sure...we were crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball in cm. amazingly Wes won vast majority of headers and smith did his job. worked out well in the end but jose showed what he can do when he came on.

im not sure...we were crying out for someone to put their foot on the ball in cm. amazingly Wes won vast majority of headers and smith did his job. worked out well in the end but jose showed what he can do when he came on.

For someone knee high to a grasshopper Wes wins more headers than a man of his stature should.

Agree - he was a class above when he came on - let's hope he stays... And plays like he can for the rest of the season!

Baxter is class and unstoppable on his day. A pleasure to watch however, he is still part of a squad. A squad this time around can be used as the name suggests. Baxter is droppable to the bench but he will contribute greatly without doubt.

Perhaps LJ dropped Baxter because of the scouts that were no doubt at BP on Saturday. The trick worked well at Shrewsbury last season and helped us secure Korey Smith's signature in the close season. Will Baxter play against Tranmere? I think he will start on the bench, although Baxter and pater might have a view.

It really is a tricky situation for LJ now. As mentioned above, the bold move paid off, however he is still our standout, game winning player. I thought the service to Rooney was excellent and JCH proved an excellent foil on the 1st half, before turning in a MOM contenders performance in the 2nd (what potential he has!).

It will be down to how LJ see's Tranmere as a side. Are they as combative as Port Vale? If so same XI f

It really is a tricky situation for LJ now. As mentioned above, the bold move paid off, however he is still our standout, game winning player. I thought the service to Rooney was excellent and JCH proved an excellent foil on the 1st half, before turning in a MOM contenders performance in the 2nd (what potential he has!).

It will be down to how LJ see's Tranmere as a side. Are they as combative as Port Vale? If so same XI for me. If they are as weak as their results suggest should we not try and dominate the midfield and play ball retention all afternoon which would mean Smith and Baxter, with Wes (unluckily so) on the bench?

It really is a quandary, but an excellent one for LJ to have. Either way I would definitely stick with the 2 lads up top.

Finally, is Baxter in for Dayton to give him a free role on the right an option? Potentially leaving Brown a little too exposed though.

Edited by eyres_28

Seeing how well JCH was turning his man with the correct ball, Baxter is the man to provide for him. Rooney we know will benefit from this. It's probably our best forward thinking line up, and with this the two on the wings should get more space.

Winning games while keeping him out of the shop window would be great

I think he has done enough to interest a few clubs who may now look at it and think he would be more likely to move if not playing but if he hasn't done enough to interest a few with last seasons performance he never will.

Before the season LJ talked about different options/formations for different opposition. Maybe he thought a straight forward 4-4-2 was appropriate for Port Vale and he might think differently for Tranmere.

Good call he made either way you look at it and refreshing to see there are no undroppables.

I think accommodating Baxter regularly in the starting eleven will be a big dilemma for LJ.

LJ said he wanted to build his team around Baxter but I'm not sure that will work.

Whilst his ability is not in question, his work rate certainly is.....he is not a 90 min player and will inevitably drift in and out of games. It's probably the reason he never quite made it at Everton.

I would love him to see out his contract here but I'm not sure he has the engine or desire to play box to box and as we've seen once he loses the ball he's out of the game.

He's a wonderful talent and just the type of player to lift the fans but I'm not sure a place on the bench would be in his best interests at this stage of his career.

If LJ can find a system to be able to benifit from his undoubted talent then fine but it is going to become a real problem and I have a feeling Baxter could well be gone before the transfer window closes.