Worse run

I would expect Sheff United to recover, but Coventry and Bristol City are both in a mess and may not. Besides, to use something like that in predicting what may happen to the league you also have to look at the teams above us - and I definitely see three or four who have every chance of fading after a good start and dropping below us.

Oddly enough, it seems to be the doom and gloomers who have the highest expectations. Just because we're not in the top 6/top half (in September for :censored:s sake) they start their boo boy tactics and predictions of relegation.

Those who are (or were) predicting a sudden transformation into a play-off challenging team need a reality check - there is absolutely no basis to expect us to do that well. I've said it before - I'll be happy if we're not in a relegation scrap with a few games to go. That would be suitable, incremental progress.

I never expectedus to be in the top half, nevermind the top 6. I always expected us to struggle because the manager hasn't made a good signing, apart from possibly Korey Smith. The squad is full of powderpuff players. If we stay-up it'll be a miracle.Tatically naive with no plan B.

So what were your expectations at the start of the summer, before players were signed? What players would you have brought in and where would you expect to finish this season with those players?

I didn't have any expectations. I knew that Dayton would be a disaster. You can't sign powderpuff players like that from a rubbish scottish league and hope to have a successful team. He's too embarrassed to give his latvian signing a run-out. The two forwards he's signed are carthorses. This season is going to be,a nightmare. Theres nothing there, only a load of waffle from a manager who knows how to 'play' the media, in relation to communicating with the fans. He's good at that. The ONLY thing he is good at.

There's no point in arguing or debating with posters such as yourself.

You've made your mind up already.

I used to sit next to an old couple in the old Lookers stand. They were a nightmare. Moaned from the kick off whistle, every game. Nothing was good enough for them. When we (my group) or others used to get pissed off with their constant moans & groans, we'd ask them why they were there if they hated it so much.

I'll ask you the same.

If it's a disaster, you can see no chance of progression, players like Dayton are woeful and the strikers cathorses, and the world is nigh - why don't you simply find something else to go and do on a Saturday?

Seriously pal, life's too short to continue with something that makes you so unhappy and so miserable...

There's no point in arguing or debating with posters such as yourself.

You've made your mind up already.

I used to sit next to an old couple in the old Lookers stand. They were a nightmare. Moaned from the kick off whistle, every game. Nothing was good enough for them. When we (my group) or others used to get pissed off with their constant moans & groans, we'd ask them why they were there if they hated it so much.

I'll ask you the same.

If it's a disaster, you can see no chance of progression, players like Dayton are woeful and the strikers cathorses, and the world is nigh - why don't you simply find something else to go and do on a Saturday?

Seriously pal, life's too short to continue with something that makes you so unhappy and so miserable...

I'm just trying to be honest. I'm not an 'happy-clapper' like you and a few others on here. Nearly 10 games in. Enough time to make judgements on the manager and his signings. Anton Rodgers isn't a player. Signed because the manager is arse-licking his dad. What sort of club have we turned in to?!

You know, "happy clapper" does my pickle in.

Why, if you happen to remain hopefull and can see the signs that this group can click, whilst remaining balanced and grounded about the possible league table finish...does that earn you membership of this fabled 'happy clapper' group?

I don't label you. I just think there's minimal point in entering into a debate with you and you're a closed shop and unwilling to see that things can easily change. It's the end of September, i mean really - is that enough time / games to really have your mind made up on our prospects for this season, and the new players relative abilities and potential?

In my humble opinion, it really isn't. Not at all...

You know, "happy clapper" does my pickle in.

Why, if you happen to remain hopefull and can see the signs that this group can click, whilst remaining balanced and grounded about the possible league table finish...does that earn you membership of this fabled 'happy clapper' group?

I don't label you. I just think there's minimal point in entering into a debate with you and you're a closed shop and unwilling to see that things can easily change. It's the end of September, i mean really - is that enough time / games to really have your mind made up on our prospects for this season, and the new players relative abilities and potential?

In my humble opinion, it really isn't. Not at all...[/quote} You're right, it is only Septmber, but can you honestly see us winning 15 of the remaining 37 games, to avoid relegation? I certainly can't. We've played nobody decent at BP yet and we've already lost 3 times.Nearly a quarter of the way through the season and he still doesn't know his best team. Worrying to say the least.

[quote name="slYou're right, it is only Septmber, but can you honestly see us winning 15 of the remaining 37 games, to avoid relegation? I certainly can't. We've played nobody decent at BP yet and we've already lost 3 times.Nearly a quarter of the way through the season and he still doesn't know his best team. Worrying to say the least.

Would you please stop pulling figures out of your rear end?! I'll say it again: according to your (bizarrely high) points target we need 1.16 points per game - as in slightly better than a draw a game. It's this bloody hysterical overreaction that I can't stand - if you believe so much that the team is :censored: and we're destined to go down then please just go support someone else.

Is this our worse league run ever with a manager in the modern era ? Big joe 2nd time round wasn't good results wise but that was a team that he inherited. With league leaders next up another defeat looms ...2 wins 1 draw 6 defeats for 12 against 15

Just one more point- what the heck is "the modern era"

Would you please stop pulling figures out of your rear end?! I'll say it again: according to your (bizarrely high) points target we need 1.16 points per game - as in slightly better than a draw a game. It's this bloody hysterical overreaction that I can't stand - if you believe so much that the team is :censored: and we're destined to go down then please just go support someone else.

Yes, we may need less than 50 points. Traditionally though, it is 50 points. Get that and we definitely stay-up. No chance of us getting 50 points though with a tatically inept manager whose got no plan B. No hope for us. Edited by ChaddyEndRegular

I didn't have any expectations. I knew that Dayton would be a disaster. You can't sign powderpuff players like that from a rubbish scottish league and hope to have a successful team. He's too embarrassed to give his latvian signing a run-out. The two forwards he's signed are carthorses. This season is going to be,a nightmare. Theres nothing there, only a load of waffle from a manager who knows how to 'play' the media, in relation to communicating with the fans. He's good at that. The ONLY thing he is good at.

Huh, I think Dayton one our best players, certainly technically on the ball.

Yes, we may need less than 50 points. Traditionally though, it is 50 points. Get that and we defintely stay-up. No chance of us getting 50 points though with a tatically inept manager whose got no plan B. No hope for us.

Ok, a few people have tried this, but lets try again and see if it will sink in.....

Lesson 1

49 points was enough to stay up last season. 44 points were enough the one before. 48 before that. And the one before was 50 points to stay up. So, if by "traditionally" you mean once every 4 years you need at least 50 points to stay up, rather than the more traditional sense of the word traditionally...

Lesson 2

You get a point for a draw. One Point. 1 point.

You do not get points just for wins.

Now, lets push it on a level and apply the FACTS to a scenario.

We have 7 points. We have 37 games left.

To get to your magical figure of 50 points we need 43 more points (50 - 7 = 43).

15 wins would give us 52 points. One win less would see us stay up in 3 of the last four season, so a figure of 14 wins is more realistic.

But we should also consider the wild, remote, bizarre possibility that we might actually draw some games!

Last season the bottom 4 teams actually managed to draw more than 12 games each, which is astounding. I'm surprised that given your predilection for the review of the traditional need to accumulate a number of points to stay up, you have failed to spot this clever way to gain points.

If we assume we might just somehow get 11 more draws, then adding the resulting 11 points to our 7 points gained would give 18 points. Setting that against the magic target of 50 points would mean we'd need 11 wins, not 15, so given that your big concern is that we need 15 wins, I'm sure you must see this as a great re-assurance that you had in fact failed to properly account for the relevant factors and must now realise that things are not as bad as you think. (ps we'd have 51 points! One extra point just for safety!)

Now you can enjoy a beer without getting so very very worried. October is nearly here!

Edited by real

Ok, a few people have tried this, but letjs try again and see if it will sink in.....

Lesson 1

49 points was enough to stay up last season. 44 points were enough the one before. 48 before that. And the one before was 50 points to stay up. So, if by "traditionally" you mean once every 4 years you need at least 50 points to stay up, rather than the more traditional sense of the word traditionally...

Lesson 2

You get a point for a draw. One Point. 1 point.

You do not get points just for wins.

Now, lets push it on a level and apply the FACTS to a scenario.

We have 7 points. We have 37 games left.

To get to your magical figure of 50 points we need 43 more points (50 - 7 = 43).

15 wins would give us 52 points. One win less would see us stay up in 3 of the last four season, so a figure of 14 wins is more realistic.

But we should also consider the wild, remote, bizarre possibility that we might actually draw some games!

Last season the bottom 4 teams actually managed to draw more than 12 games each, which is astounding. I'm surprised that given your predilection for the review of the traditional need to accumulate a number of points to stay up, you have failed to spot this clever way to gain points.

If we assume we might just somehow get 11 more draws, then adding the resulting 11 points to our 7 points gained would give 18 points. Setting that against the magic target of 50 points would mean we'd need 11 wins, not 15, so given that your big concern is that we need 15 wins, I'm sure you must see this as a great re-assurance that you had in fact failed to properly account for the relevant factors and must now realise that things are not as bad as you think. (ps we'd have 51 points! One extra point just for safety!)

Now you can enjoy a beer without getting so very very worried. October is nearly here!

I'm not really bothered how we get them 50 points, just as long as we get them. Traditionally, manager's have always aimed for the 50 point barrier to be sure of safety. The longer we go without a win, the more the pressure is on. It's going to be a long, hard winter of discontent.

I'm not really bothered how we get them 50 points, just as long as we get them. Traditionally, manager's have always aimed for the 50 point barrier to be sure of safety. The longer we go without a win, the more the pressure is on. It's going to be a long, hard winter of discontent.

I've got some more good news...

I know you started off saying we only had 35 games left, but then you realised that we had 37 and edited your post, but here's something else to think about...

We haven't lost 3 league games at BP - we've only lost 2. So that's a bonus! (you're surely not counting a defeat by a 1 goal margin in a cup game against Championship opposition are you?)