What was your first ever Latics defect

Opening game 96-97 Stoke at home, lost 2-1. No idea who played scored, I just remember hating Stoke and predicting we would lose 2-1 everytime we played them. Its slightly frustrating that my first season as a Tic was the relegation season and Ive since had 17/18 seasons of exactly the same league. Why the :censored: did I not support a yoyo club like Crewe/West brom.

Steve Redmond scored our goal. Mike Sheron a brace for them. We also had two goals disallowed - set up a theme for the full season...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit earlier than Boxing Day we lost 2-1 at home on a Sunday in mid-November 1999 (It was moved to Sunday as England had their first leg Play off at Hampden Park the day before to decide who would go to Euro 2000) Craig Dudley scored our goal

I think I may have been mascot for this game - Lomano Lua Lua score both for Col U?

1989/90 season that Palmer, Oct '89 - Rhodesy had a blinder as they battered us!

Nah sure it was 87 Rhodes hadn't signed yet and it was maybe one of Gorams last games? Start of the season and we drew 1-1 with City a few weeks either side beat Sheff Utd as well 5 nowt away which I saw- have I re written history haha?

Edit to say September 19th 1987 - you slipping Prozac? ;)

City few weeks before Sheff Utd months later

Edited by palmer1

Nah sure it was 87 Rhodes hadn't signed yet and it was maybe one of Gorams last games? Start of the season and we drew 1-1 with City a few weeks either side beat Sheff Utd as well 5 nowt away which I saw- have I re written history haha?

Edit to say September 19th 1987 - you slipping Prozac? ;)

City few weeks before Sheff Utd months later

I was replying to the earlier post about a 0-0 mate, I think you quoted it. (Stargazer's) If you look I've mentioned both games - the 1-0 in Sept '87 and the 0-0 in Oct '89

Edited by oafcprozac

I was replying to the earlier post about a 0-0 mate, I think you quoted it. (Stargazer's) If you look I've mentioned both games - the 1-0 in Sept '87 and the 0-0 in Oct '89

Ah right mate, you replyed to me regarding the wrong Hull game..no worries

Edited by palmer1

Latics 2-5 City - last game in the old first division if I remember rightly. A few weeks earlier I'd seen my first win, Latics 5-1 Luton. It was very entertaining if nothing else, I was only about 6 or 7 at the time.

That result bugged me, as if we had won we'd have finished 11th and in the top half and finished ahead of Spurs, Chelsea and Everton.

As it was, we finished 17th and the record books wrongly perceive that we struggled and survived relegation.

Edited by AndyGortonsMatches

To old to remember my first defeat but I remember the first one that left me devastated.

Anglo Scottish cup final against Burnley - I spent all week dreaming how we were going to win and be as big as Newcastle or Wolves by actually winning a trophy! Oh my naive teenage mind could only think on how it was going to transform the club, I fixated on it more than a Sam Fox page 3 picture, how could we loose?

We got fkn tatered :bigcry:

Edited by Stagger Lee