No, Dickov did provide us with some very good victories and performances, alongside a load of crap. And not just the FA Cup (which were some of my best moments as a Tic) Similar pattern is starting to develop under our new messiah. Fortunately I believe Johnson can do better than Dickov as he takes gambles and doesnt bottle big decisions, like our former manager did. But we've also seen those gambles and tactical changes backfire (Wolves will go down as one of the most frustrating and isappointing games I have ever seen, mainly because we didnt go for it). In this league, we dont need to chop and change the team every week, resting players it would seem. We need consitency and a team capable of providing the Stevenage and Preston performances 95% of the time. Not 25% of the time like we currently have.

Good post. If as you say, this trend is continuing into Xmas an beyond then your right, some very serious questions need asking. But for the time being, I'm willing to look for positives, (whilst acknowledging what you've said above, which I think is fair an accurate.)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually called for Johnson's head?

Not to say they wouldn't be mind-bogglingly bonkers to do so but I don't think I've seen it thus far and trawling through this thread to find it hurts my brain.

Plenty of them on the Internet Home for the Mentally Retarded (aka Twitter). Some of them have been here, but got themselves banned for being incalcuably stupid.

Unfortunately last night was utter garbage and possibly worse than most listening on GMR / Latics Player can imagine, and I still remain an optimist (JUST!)

The night was destined to end badly with the traffic problems and dreadful ticket office staff causing a late arrival in the stands. I hope there was something in the first 5 minutes to enjoy because our first half performance was the worst under LJ by far. We were worse than all-at-sea in defence, with Grounds lacking any sort of leadership skills, Kusunga failing to read the game in any way and instigating heart attacks when facing his own goal; FFS make a decision! The 2 young full backs looked nervous and out of their depth defensively, with CW also looking unsure going forward (a real shame after Saturday).

Other than a woeful defence and the aforementioned mistake LJ made (and rectified) up-front, the main cause for exacerbation amongst the travelling army was the sheer lack of intensity in closing the opposition down. Wes and Korey lost the midfield battle, and the former looked way off the pace, his performance on Saturday seemed light-years ago. Dayton might as well have been in the stands during an anonymous 40 mins which is becoming his trademark, and Rooney and Millar were outmuscled, outpaced and out-thought. JCH did make a difference and with his arrival came a little more energy throughout the team, with Smith suddenly driving the team forward. When the goal arrived we could and should have been 3 or 4 down against really poor opposition. The goal itself came from Danny P and Smith playing out from our half and then a decent deep cross from Dayton; Rooney had peeled well off his marker and headed into an empty net after their GK had been caught under the flight of the ball.

The second half began in a style more closely matched to previous performances under LJ. The passing was slicker and we moved the ball around well. JCH was shooting at sight and Mellor became more involved as an attacking threat from LB. Danny P was heavily involved cutting in and Dayton, following the sort of burst that had us excited from YouTube videos, should have done much better when in a great shooting/crossing position. We were way on top but the defensive frailties were there to see when Winchester was caught under a high ball only to be saved by an offside flag. Did we learn? NO; Mellor stood off his man and a deep cross was completely misjudged by CW allowing a free header for their no.15. It got worse after that as horrendously slack defending allowed McGregor to have about 5 chances to shoot before finally firing past Oxley. JCH made it interesting with a rasping free-kick and the usual time-wasting followed from the opposition with the referee oblivious until, yes you guessed it, the 89th minute when he blew his whistle and did that annoying rolling of the arms. Book the keeper when he first does it and then it wont continue, just like Oxley at Rotherham.

We were beaten by dreadful opposition, and this reliance on a 21yr-old CB in his first 'full' season (as first choice) to organise, control and lead the defence is increasingly worrying. We will not go down, of that I am confident, however I had and still hold onto lingering ambitions of doing more than simply surviving. With the players we have, and the exciting brand of football LJ is instilling in his players we can still do well. Montano needs more games, the same can be said for JCH, and LJ needs to discover a way of ensuring the players retain that same work ethic and intensity that won us the game against Swindon on Saturday, without that we look a run of the mill bottom half side and expose our shaky backline.

Keep the Faith

Edited by eyres_28

Just seen the highlights on LP .

Jesus

They carved us open so easily , we looked like conceding from every set piece and mellor :censored:s out of getting his body in the way of their third goal .

That's the most shambolic defending I've seen from a Latics defence in quite a while.

That's the most shambolic defending I've seen from a Latics defence in quite a while.

They could have had many more against us, particularly 1st half, yet we came away still thinking it was a game we could easily have won, particularly in the first 15mins of 2nd half.

Like all our supporters I am unhappy about losing games and very often losing games we should have won. However, LJ is new at the job. I'm sure he will look back at some of his decisions and realise he made mistakes. The players are new, partnerships need to be forged. Hopefully the new loan signings will inject some quality and confidence into the squad.

Unfortunately last night was utter garbage and possibly worse than most listening on GMR / Latics Player can imagine, and I still remain an optimist (JUST!)

The night was destined to end badly with the traffic problems and dreadful ticket office staff causing a late arrival in the stands. I hope there was something in the first 5 minutes to enjoy because our first half performance was the worst under LJ by far. We were worse than all-at-sea in defence, with Grounds lacking any sort of leadership skills, Kusunga failing to read the game in any way and instigating heart attacks when facing his own goal; FFS make a decision! The 2 young full backs looked nervous and out of their depth defensively, with CW also looking unsure going forward (a real shame after Saturday).

Other than a woeful defence and the aforementioned mistake LJ made (and rectified) up-front, the main cause for exacerbation amongst the travelling army was the sheer lack of intensity in closing the opposition down. Wes and Korey lost the midfield battle, and the former looked way off the pace, his performance on Saturday seemed light-years ago. Dayton might as well have been in the stands during an anonymous 40 mins which is becoming his trademark, and Rooney and Millar were outmuscled, outpaced and out-thought. JCH did make a difference and with his arrival came a little more energy throughout the team, with Smith suddenly driving the team forward. When the goal arrived we could and should have been 3 or 4 down against really poor opposition. The goal itself came from Danny P and Smith playing out from our half and then a decent deep cross from Dayton; Rooney had peeled well off his marker and headed into an empty net after their GK had been caught under the flight of the ball.

The second half began in a style more closely matched to previous performances under LJ. The passing was slicker and we moved the ball around well. JCH was shooting at sight and Mellor became more involved as an attacking threat from LB. Danny P was heavily involved cutting in and Dayton, following the sort of burst that had us excited from YouTube videos, should have done much better when in a great shooting/crossing position. We were way on top but the defensive frailties were there to see when Winchester was caught under a high ball only to be saved by an offside flag. Did we learn? NO; Mellor stood off his man and a deep cross was completely misjudged by CW allowing a free header for their no.15. It got worse after that as horrendously slack defending allowed McGregor to have about 5 chances to shoot before finally firing past Oxley. JCH made it interesting with a rasping free-kick and the usual time-wasting followed from the opposition with the referee oblivious until, yes you guessed it, the 89th minute when he blew his whistle and did that annoying rolling of the arms. Book the keeper when he first does it and then it wont continue, just like Oxley at Rotherham.

We were beaten by dreadful opposition, and this reliance on a 21yr-old CB in his first 'full' season (as first choice) to organise, control and lead the defence is increasingly worrying. We will not go down, of that I am confident, however I had and still hold onto lingering ambitions of doing more than simply surviving. With the players we have, and the exciting brand of football LJ is instilling in his players we can still do well. Montano needs more games, the same can be said for JCH, and LJ needs to discover a way of ensuring the players retain that same work ethic and intensity that won us the game against Swindon on Saturday, without that we look a run of the mill bottom half side and expose our shaky backline.

Keep the Faith

Good summary of last night, I just wonder whether they were also a bit leggy after their high intensity exertions on Saturday. I know they are professional footballers and should be fit etc. etc. but I am afraid life is not like that.