Team for Brentford

With Dayton out and other wingers not consistently performing, I'd like to see LJ shake things up.

I'd go for a narrow, flat but attacking 4-3-3 which will probably look stupid when LJ proves me wrong and wins with a normal 4-4-2.

Oxley

Lanzoni

Kusunga

Tarkowski

Grounds

Smith

Wes

Mellor

Philliskirk

Rooney

JCH

If we need support defensively on the flanks then Philly and JCH can drop back but hopefully they'll stretch play and offer plenty of support for Rooney. Lanzoni and Grounds would be defensively strong and sound full backs without too much attacking freedom.

It'd be more likely Rodgers pairing Wes in a midfield 3 than Mellor, with Smith the more forward centre-mid. I like the look of that team for home games. Alas, we're playing away at Brentford, one of the leagues best home teams, free-scoring on their day; there's no chance we'll play that formation or team.

I really hope we have a go. Before losing at Carlisle they'd had 8 wins and a draw (that being against Wolves) on the spin. They must be strong, but hopefully a little unsettled by the change in manager.

My hunch is that we're entering the sort of territory often described as "a game too far", with a bit of steam running out in our recent performances. Having said that, being away from home may help to release some pressure and Brentford will come at us rather than sitting in. Fight fire with fire and really go for it.

I think Dayton's a big miss, but it's up to others to step up. Plenty have done it before and they need to take their chance.

Come on Latics.

See you on the 8.55 if anyone's getting it.

I could understand LJ going defensive against Wolves. We weren't on a great run, they were a very solid defensive unit and while it didn't work, it was logical to contain them and try to snatch a goal on the break.

We are in better form this time and have strikers in Philly and JCH in good form, adding Rooney in to give him support from the other two could be the boost he needs. I wouldn't be happy with us going 1 up top to contain Brentford regardless of them being in good form. We could send out a message by taking the game to them.

Also, to be honest, I'll be a few pints in by then and will want to be entertained! ^_^:drinking45:

3-5-2

Oxley

Lanzoni Tarky Kusunga

Winchester Grounds

Smith Wes

Schmeltz

Philliskirk JCH

Winchester and Grounds will provide width, one of the CB's step forwards to act as a sweeper between defence and midfield when attacking, gives Schmeltz a free role with no defensive duties, he'll be a nightmare for them to try and mark.

3-5-2

Oxley

Lanzoni Tarky Kusunga

Winchester Grounds

Smith Wes

Schmeltz

Philliskirk JCH

Winchester and Grounds will provide width, one of the CB's step forwards to act as a sweeper between defence and midfield when attacking, gives Schmeltz a free role with no defensive duties, he'll be a nightmare for them to try and mark.

You seen Grounds at fullback recently?

And Schmeltz is bad enough playing in one position without confusing him anymore.

You seen Grounds at fullback recently?

And Schmeltz is bad enough playing in one position without confusing him anymore.

Best left back at the club.

With Schmeltz, we might see the best of him if he has no defensive duties. He's probably the most skillful and unpredictable player we have, why not give him the chance to show it and that he isn't just an impact sub?

Best left back at the club.

With Schmeltz, we might see the best of him if he has no defensive duties. He's probably the most skillful and unpredictable player we have, why not give him the chance to show it and that he isn't just an impact sub?

He's not got much competition for that best left back title.

Hope you are right with Schmeltz, I certainly think you can never have enough pace in your team, not sure Brentford away is the place to be trying out new positions and systems though!